Need your experienced advice

Willie H.
on 10/13/14 1:29 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Hi all,

I came to this forum area because I know all of you have been through WLS and would know how the process works. I myself just had it done (VSG) August 26, 2014 so I am about 7 weeks out. The question I have is; "Is it normal to have a week or two where you actually gain weight this early in the process?"  I ask because I was so happy when finally after a week & 1/2 stall I was able to get beneath 300lbs. Then it appeared as if I was going to just cruise down through the 290's, my scale going down to 291lbs, and one day after golf even hitting 289! Then all of a sudden it went up to 293 lbs which I thought was just temporary? I actually wrote about it and was told it was only temporary. But since then my weight has went up to 296lbs and I have been at this weight now for about a week? The funny thing is this all started to happen as soon as I started working out at the gym? I know it is impossible to gain muscle that fast so what can it be? Is this normal in this weight loss process? I do record what I eat and I know that at the most-on a bad day- I have no more than 1200 calories although admittedly one or two days a few of those calories may have been high fat or high sugared foods. Yet, still it is puzzling to me how a 300 lb guy can actually GAIN WEIGHT on calories lower than 1200 daily? I'm perplexed?  Would appreciate any input or advice. Regardless, I'm going to keep on exercising, watching what I eat and stay positive. Thank you in advance. 

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

brenlee1965
on 10/13/14 3:25 am - New Berlin, NY
Sounds like water weight. I had RNY two years ago. But early on, I weighed myself once a week (because I started being more concerned about weight loss than my health). You will have stalls from time to time; if you don't get your eating habits changed, later you can regain the weight that was lost. I wish you the best.

Bren
 Bren                
Willie H.
on 10/13/14 10:51 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

Wow. You guys ARE good! Thank you. I realized I was eating pretzels with SALT. Soups with HIGH Sodium, and what I thought was a healthy Anti-Pasto Salad with Lunch Meats - ALL high in sodium! No wonder I've gained weight, I've been retaining water weight. This forum is SO educational! And it teaches us that we have to learn HOW to eat. Even with the surgery which many have said-"is only a tool"-we have to re-educate ourselves in eating properly. As one poster said "they operated on our stomachs not our brains"

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Eggface
on 10/13/14 5:33 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Yep... water weight, salt in diet (watch the lunch meats), poop, for women time of month, muscle building... it's frustrating. It made me crazy to look each day so I stopped and went to a once a week weigh-in... most weeks I was pleasantly surprised and it kept me in a better frame of mind. Be prepared for stall... many of those some as long as a month may happen too. My worst one was -80 pounds thought I would never get to -100 sat at the same weight or gained a pound for a month. Finally boom scale kicked in again (did a big gardening project used some different muscle groups and made sure my protein wa****ting Dr' recs) went on to lose -158.

Best wishes to you!! You have given yourself the best advise... keep on keeping on. 

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active
Recent Topics