What looks different now?

Drvn2skcede
on 10/29/14 2:01 pm

As I'm still considering WLS vs another diet program, I am here to understand as much as I can about life after WLS....  If you've reached a point after WLS where you now have a new 'norm', I'd love to know what life looks like for you now? What has changed from then to now? What do your meals look like now compared to then? How have your food choices changed?  How have your activity levels changed?  Do you find life/decisions a constant struggle still or have things evened out enough that life is good?  Thanks for sharing with those of us still on the fence.....

Grannie016
on 10/30/14 3:15 am

Hi,

I don't think I have reached a "norm" yet as I am only 1 month out from surgery (sleeve).  I was at 245 and am 5'3', I suffered from high blood pressure, high cholestral, arthritis, sleep apnea, and a feeling of low esteem.  I was severely depressed.  I am now at 220 and still finding my way, with the help of a great surgeon and a extremely helpful staff.  I only know that I absolutely did the right thing, even at my age.  My knees stopped hurting almost immediately, sleep apnea improved, still taking some meds but expect those to go away at my next dr's appt.  My self esteem has returned and I feel that I can accomplish my goals. I am walking and using stationery bicycle, also my house cleaning has been upped, which was sorely needed.  The surgery is not the only answer to weight loss,  you have to be able to follow healthy diets and follow instructions from the surgeon and his staff.  So I hope this helped some, and you are able to make the right decision.  Good Luck. Grannie :)

jastypes
on 10/30/14 10:39 pm - Croydon, PA

Before surgery, my life was a series of diet/restriction vs. binging/overeating.  Immediately after surgery, I followed all the rules, lost a ton of weight quickly, and felt absolutely amazing.  I could move freely, my self-confidence had soared, and I was high on life.  I got out of a bad marriage, and felt free and happy.  2 years out from surgery, I developed a transfer addiction to alcohol -- obviously, having lost weight did not help me deal with the underlying issues.  4 years out from surgery I was sober, but looking to food again to fill a void.  I still had a "fat head."  6 years out, lots of recovery work, some counseling, my head finally caught up with my body.  I love the way I look.  I love the way I eat.  I love the way I move.  I love the way I live.  WLS did not fix me.  I use my tool in conjunction with the 12-step program of Overeaters Anonymous, weight loss surgery support groups, and counseling when needed.  Life is an amazing journey, and WLS can be a wonderful part of it, but never think that it is THE answer.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

indybuttercup
on 11/1/14 11:53 pm - Indianapolis, IN

Before surgery I ate for pleasure. i enjoyed food.  I was and still am a taste/pleasure eater. I eat to live now and enjoy walking without pain, no longer being diabetic and tired all the time. I do still eat occationally for pleasure but my body craves meat, stir fried veggies and such. my craving are different.. yes I do allow myself that rediculious pizza once a month or every two months. I don't deny myself anything, I just try to pick something that is a better choice. i love sauce, hot sauce, salsa, seasoning...i eat a lot of it. i do eat out and have steak or chicken grilled. Life has been wonderful. 550 to 235:)

sor09
on 12/8/14 2:49 pm

If you have tried ALL the diets and still consider WLS = OK. I tried everything and tried it again, just to make sure. My heath was failing and I was stuck at 285. HBP, type 2 diabetes, GERD, sleep apnea, bad cholesterol, and my kidneys were getting bad from the insulin I had to take for the diabetes. Depression was a part of the over weight condition too. I wasn't getting any younger and I would loose a few pounds only to gain them back. Diet frozen dinners did not help either. I even did juicing. Well I learned a lot a long the way and decided to (again) try to do what's needed to be for WLS date. Biggest thing is honest to self, and everything else followed. It still was not easy but I accepted they situation and things I had to change. Change is good. There is never a normal, just you. We do not fit into boxes. We are unique, a pleasantly so. Meals are like snacks, since food is not the party in the mouth. Food to live only. I got lost of energy. Life is a constant struggle... that's life. Life was good before and has gotten better help, so you could debate on it too. I keep tight to faith to move forward and just be grateful to have the courage to change for the better. Remember if you really want it you can... I did. It's waiting for you too.

Most Active
Recent Topics