Day 1 post op!!!! Ouch!

Tali S.
on 11/22/11 3:28 am - Jerusalem, Israel
Wow, I can't believe it's over! Today is day 1 post op. I am not feeling too much pain. More of a tightness in my abdominal area. It makes it hard to walk. Also I have a hard time breathing. My breaths are very shallow. And there s a sharp pain on my left sidelike a cramp?Gas?Other then those three things (oh, and my roommate eating MCDONALDS on the other side of my curtain ) I am feeling much better then expected. The intense scary pain I let when woke up from surgery is gone. Thank goodness. Did anyone else have this tight/full feeling? It feels like a bowling ball is sitting under my skin. And I'm hungry! I was hoping that feeling wouldnt be here but I am defiantly wanting to eat. Sips of water will have to suffice. What does day 2 have in store for me?

Vanessa A.
on 11/22/11 10:55 pm - FL
im sorry for uyour gas pain, it sounds like its gas. I still have one under my boobs that wont go away. But i have been walking alot. everytime i wake up i walk . Im not hungry, just head hungry its like i want to eat cause i lknoe i should have ate by now.  today ive had 8 onz of water and im sipping on 5 onz of crystal light. pain was not as bad as i expected. Hopefully everything will continue to get better for us !

God grant me with the serenity to accept the things i cannot change ;  Courage to change the things that i can ;  and the wisdom to know the difference!!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/11 3:42 am - RI
what you girls are experiencing is completely normal..

keep walking.... and walk, walk walk walk walk!!!! the gas moves when you walk and thus makes you feel better =)
Cindy22706
on 11/23/11 4:45 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
I have to chime in but that is really ****ty that they are going to put a recovering bariatric surgery patient in with someone who can eat mcdonalds?! wtf, I would be *****in like you have no idea...

on another note- congratulations!
(deactivated member)
on 11/23/11 8:57 am
 I had that miserable pain under my breast too! Walking, walking and more walking helped me. Laying on my side is impossible it seems like. But when I finally did, gas just came right now. I had that scary intense feeling too when I woke up and a few hours after. I too had people and commercials shoving delicious looking food in my face. :( My first night at the hospital, I felt a ton better, but then it got a little worse. My legs started hurting from walking and I started feeling the incision pain a little more. My breaths are still shallow too! 
Tali S.
on 11/23/11 7:40 pm - Jerusalem, Israel
Thanks for the responses ladies! today is day 3 - feeling a little better. nice to be home. Allie it sounds like we have the same results. My legs are super tired and i think it's just my actual stomach where the work was done that is painful. I am walking and drinking pretty well. I tried a cup of broth at the hospital yesterday and that was a mistake - it hurt a lot after that. I will try again today. slowly! The breathing gets worse and better. Still can't take a deep breath though. I am thinking that the hunger is just head hunger..i can't imagine ACTUALLY eating something. it would be so painful. But I keep thinking about food anyway. Having some yummy tea instead They didn't send me home with any pain meds. Just said to grind up some ibuprofen if needed. I took one last night before bed. 2 cups of liquids down...6 to go Looking forward to feeling a little better day 4..
smiley_k
on 11/23/11 10:54 pm
Glad to hear that you are feeling better! Congrats on your surgery! 

I'm concerned though that you were told to have ibuprofen, that's an NSAID and I was told not to have any NSAIDs (unless in a medical emergency like a heart attack) because they increases the likelihood of developing an ulcer. An ulcer isn't normally a problem, they just send a scope down your throat and look after it, but in a gastric bypass patient it can involve surgery because the ulcer may be in the remnant stomach which you can't reach with a scope and is difficult to address with oral medication for the same reason. Please call your surgeon's office again or your bariatric clinic and double check this information! Just want you to be healthy! All the best!

Katie  ♥     

Most Active
Recent Topics
I regret getting so big
mirandamacie · 0 replies · 450 views
Any "surgery twins" ??
Vampy · 11 replies · 2179 views
Loose skin at 21
nataliaxrivera · 2 replies · 4091 views
Feeling lost
PenguinArmy · 1 replies · 6651 views