Bit confussed, help

sweetgirlt26
on 1/14/12 12:12 am
RNY on 01/04/12 with
 Hey everyone I don't know if it's just me worrying too much or if maybe I'm Doug something wrong but week 1 of my post opt diet I lost -14lbs since then I've only been losing .4lbs and I woke up today and weighed myself and I actually gained .4lbs I am on day 9 of my post opt diet Ive done the clear liquid diet exactly as my doc told me to do and now slowly going into puréed foods. It's such a let down when week 1 I was losing 2lbs a day! And now the scale is barley moving :/ what should I do? 
smiley_k
on 1/14/12 1:39 am
Don't freak out first off. Stalls are totally normal. This has been posted several times on OH and I find it helpful to look at when I stall.

"The following explanation is courtesy of Diana Cox.

"Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, your body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, you also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

"As you stay in caloric deficit, however, your body starts to realize that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But your body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy -- like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while as you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored."

I found this explanation to best demonstrate why we get stalls. I lost a lot the first month and than seemed to slow down. My first stall lasted 3 weeks and I was panicking. I was thinking, if eating the bare minimum of food doesn't help me loose weight, than nothing ever will. If you are following your programs rules for protein, waiting before and after eating to have a drink and getting in enough water, it will happen. I now know my body has an annoying but predictable pattern of loose nothing for two or three weeks, than all of a sudden I'll weigh in and have dropped 5 or 6 pounds. That's still consistent with decent weightloss but it's just in bursts, rather than evenly distributed each week. I've also gained and that was jus****er retention. I've read on OH that you can loose between 5 or gain 5 pounds a day, just from water weight. If you keep getting in a consistent amount of fluids (I aim for 8 cups of water a day in addition to any milk I use in my protein shakes), take your protein in and your vitamins, it does work.

Best of luck!

Katie  ♥     

gizmo113
on 1/16/12 5:43 am - Camby, IN
 Don't freak out... You are doing fine. Just keep to the basics as long as you can... and weighing yourself 1x a week will help!

Follow me on my blog!!! www.fittingmethin.blogspot.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
I regret getting so big
mirandamacie · 0 replies · 446 views
Any "surgery twins" ??
Vampy · 11 replies · 2175 views
Loose skin at 21
nataliaxrivera · 2 replies · 4087 views
Feeling lost
PenguinArmy · 1 replies · 6645 views