Are you happy with your lap band?

Malg22
on 3/18/10 1:04 am - Tiffin, OH
VSG on 12/18/13
Hello. I am in the beginning stages of WLS. Meeting with the surgeon on the 24th. I feel that I am leaning toward a lap band but then yesterday I checked out the Failed Weight Loss board and got a surprise. I seen so many post of people who had medical issues with the band or they just didnt' lose at all. I know there are many reasons why a person wouldn't lose weight  and not just the fault of the band. I was curious as to how many people here are happy with their decision for the lap band surgery? Thanks for any and all input! It's greatly appreciated.

Angie
kh75
on 3/21/10 11:08 am
I am meeting with a surgeon on the 12th of April and am interested in the same thing. I would appreciate any info anyone has.

Thanks,
Katie
LillieGracesMom
on 4/3/10 10:32 pm
I had the Realize band put in one month ago today and I have lost over 35 pounds since then.  I am very strict about following all the requirements.  I get in all 64 oz. of water a day, eat 80 + grams of protein a day, drink 2 protein shakes and walk at least 2 miles a day.  If you follow all the doctor's and nutritionist's guidelines, I don't know how you can fail.
Hope this helps.
-Heather

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/10 1:10 pm - NJ
True, but I was following the guidelines and had to have my band removed last year because of severe reflux......for some it makes reflux go away, for others, like me, it worsens it.

Just wanted to say that yes, having a failed band is possible.
redmon7499
on 5/24/10 8:35 am - Benton, IL
hello LillieGracesMom!
I have started my journey with the lapband procedure, my surgery date is set for June 11th 2010. I am so excited!!!!
Could you tell me some of what you eat and drink for the day? You sound as if you are doing wonderful with your band.  You also seem very focused on losing the weight as I am.
I am concerned about getting the 70 grams of protein that is required daily. Do you have a favorite protein shake?
I would love any helpful hints you may have!!!
Thank you,
redmon7499

redmon7499
on 5/24/10 9:02 am - Benton, IL
hello LillieGracesMom,
I am new to this lapband journey. My surgery is scheduled for June 11th 2010. I am soooo excited.
You seem as if you are very focused on losing the weight. And you seem to be doing very well! CONGRATS!!!
Could you tell me what you eat and drink on a daily basis? I am concerned about getting all the protein that is required each day.
Do you have a favorite protein supplement/shake?
I have started walking about 1 mile a day, and I am able to drink all my water.
Any helpful hints would be great.
Thanks,
Michelle

KerriH
on 6/22/10 1:47 pm - Broken Arrow, OK
Hi. I had banding May 27, 2010 and love the decision I made. I have lost 25 pounds in six weeks with no problems and one clothes size. I have done exactly what I was directed to do my doctor, Dr. Victor Gonzalez in Dallas, TX. I used Isopure for my pre-op diet (40 grams of protein), Now I am on soft foods, I eat yogurt, applesauce, tuna and other fish for my daily diet. I add unflavored protein powder (bought from GNC) to yogurt, etc. I have to get 60 grams of protein a day.

Hope this is helpful,
Kerri
Kerri    
funnursechick
on 4/7/10 3:38 pm - MS
Having my lapband removed after 3 1/2 miserable years and getting VSG next month. A couple people I know are happy with the band but I have found they are the exception to the rule.  Also, be sure if you are getting the band that you are prepared for follow up as far as fills, unfillls.

Elisa H.

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/10 2:25 am - NJ
WOW - 3 1/2 years is a long time - you are a trooper!!  I have to agree, I know so many revisions from the band.  I do know a few who have done well, but they can't seem to shake the last bit of weight.   

It is also very easy to cheat around the band, especially if you are a sweet eater.  The band does nothing to stop you.  Although I am in the minority, I do dump from sugar with my RNY. 

The fills/unfills are a vicious cycle too!  And, with the insurance I had, I was not able to get a fill until 90 days after having the band placed; meaning that it was not like having any surgery after the swelling went down.  Very frustrating.

Then, after I had the first fill, my reflux got worse, but I didn't think much of it.  Second fill rolls around and OMG - sliming, foaming, puking and generally just feeling horrible all the time.  I got an emergency unfill, let everything settle down again and went for one more try.....I had to go back the next day for an unfill and a revision talk.

Had my band out a week later and then a month after that, went in for my RNY and have not looked back!  In fact, I am a pound shy of losing 100 pounds.   

Just something to think about, because these are the things that are not really discussed at the seminar.

Kim U.
on 4/23/10 5:15 am
Did you post this topic on the lap band forum? You will here something different from everyone.

I am happy Realize bander myself. I've had zero problems. I don't loose real fast but I am losing about 2lbs a week. With the band you do have to be commited to seeing your doc more often but personally that is what I liked and felt I needed.
199 here I come! 

Most Active
Recent Topics