Any parents out there?

Pat F.
on 5/16/05 5:12 am - Pottstown, PA
Like to talk to anyone who's child had or wants WLS. My daughter is 19 and we are researching the band. She had info session last week at the surgeon's office. She is not sure if she wants to get it done.
Sarah Joy
on 5/20/05 7:02 am - Hawthorne, CA
I'm not a parent, so I don't really fit your request, but I'm 23, and had the Lap Band done in July of last year. I thought I'd offer my support to your daughter, or to you if you had any questions or anything. Sarah
sopralto
on 6/6/05 10:35 am - WA
We are researching WLS for our 16 year old daughter. She saw a bariatric MD and he recommended against the band for the following reasons: 1. She has heartburn which makes her esophagus compromised and the lap band can do the same. 2. The amount of weight loss is lower, 30-50% of excess body fat, gastric bypass is 50-70%. 3. Higher failure rate--need to switch to bypass at some point, maybe 4. No long term studies in adolescents. I understand many people are having great success with the band, but it is not for everyone. Our insurance does not pay for bypass for anyone under 20 and she does not have the co-morbidities they require. I am not inclined to wait. I believe the more people weigh when they have WLS the harder it is to reach a normal weight. Also think of the skin issues when it is over. There are so many developmental tasks associated with young adulthood that an obese teen will miss out on. Is it hard to get a job, attend college, date. My daughter is totally committed to having WLS. I am asking her to practice behaviors she will need to be successful. Exercise, avoiding snacking, evaluating her emotional eating. We cannot afford this until next year and then may have to take her to Mexico. (Some people would cringe in horror at the thought, but not us) By the way, I had a gastric bypass 13 years ago, and have suffered very little in the way of complications. I have to take B12 shots to better absorb iron. Otherwise I am very healthy.
MikeL
on 7/3/06 4:13 am - Harrison, NY
Hi, if she is at legal age I would support her in what ever she does. I am 32 and just had RNY. although I would do it over and over again, I would not recommend it to anyone in my family because I know the Risk involved. Although if someone decided to have it on there own, I would 1000% support them. I guess the reason for this is If something happened I would blame myself. I have spoke to people who it did not work out for. I really think it has to be there choice. Now if I had a minor child under 18 that wanted it and needed my approval. I would absolutely say no, wait till your 18 and do it on your own with my support. I have a 17 month old child. I just Hope she got her mothers Metabolism and not mine.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Support for Non-Surgical Members
Cathy W. · 0 replies · 7530 views
How do you....
Sandie E. · 0 replies · 8134 views
test
justin2smart12q · 1 replies · 8176 views