Recent Posts

Batwingsman
on 11/10/19 10:55 pm - Garland, TX
Topic: Inspirational Couple - "Fat Girl Fed Up" + "Discovering Danny"

Just goes to show how supportive spouses can help each other reach their goals during their journey together (although I didn't particularly care for the dig @ WLS taken near the end of the article - i.e. "did it w/o gastric bypass surgery" ):

https://www.icepop.com/couple-change/?utm_source=aol&utm_med ium=Az_AOL_IP_US_D_CoupleChange_v1_0610&utm_content=newnext& utm_term=aol

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

AlaskaLass
on 10/15/19 3:37 pm
Topic: RE: Husband bringing me to tears

I am in the same boat! My husband says diet and exercise are the only ways to loose weight. He stops drinking soda and he drops 20lbs like nothing. Must be nice to have testosterone on his side.

I still haven't been able to get him to understand. I have my first consult November 6th with the surgeon and I'm going to be doing this, but I so want him to be supportive and happy for me.

AlaskaLass
on 10/15/19 2:44 pm
Topic: Non-supportive husband

My provider recommended the sleeve about a year and a half ago and when I broached the subject on it, my husband was angry I'd even think about it and said a moderated diet and Crossfit (or insert whatever exercise here) is the only way to loose weight.

We have been married 26 years and he has watched me try and struggle with everything diet, exercise and weight related. But he stops drinking soda, or eats less chips and the weight falls off. I look at a salad with dressing on it and I gain 4 lbs. He doesn't understand what this means to me. To know I could have the surgery and work just as hard or harder to loose it but have success this time? Its making me crazy trying to get it in words he can understand.

Have any of you had a difficult time discussing with a resistant/angry spouse over WLS? I'm at a loss and not getting any younger and my lab work is only getting worse.

Thank you all for your time.

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/18 11:42 am
Topic: RE: Dealing with "date night"....

That is too bad ... well good luck to you.

Go shopping for you instead! I was being so nice and saying her! Lol. :)

Jester
on 2/15/18 11:33 am
RNY on 03/21/16

Haha, yeah, it is. And we're now in the process of getting a divorce, so this ship seems to have sailed.

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/18 11:31 am

Just realized this post is a year old Lol!!! I have never ventured into WLS spouses before!

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/18 11:27 am

How about walk around the mall and the money you would have spent in dinner buy something for the house... I don't know nice new sheets for your bed, some other houseware? Or let her pick out a new top or shoes or something... most woman love shopping... I know she does not like walking but might feel different if a mall and made fun!

my husband and I use to like to go to Barnes and Noble too ... before kids and now with our girls (16 and 14) let them each pick out a book.

Writergurl08
on 11/15/17 9:47 am
RNY on 02/15/18
Topic: RE: Heping mysef by helping him

Oh, also, there are literally hundreds of protein shakes on the market, we tried a lot and I'm still trying more in preparation for my own surgery

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Writergurl08
on 11/15/17 9:37 am
RNY on 02/15/18

our "liquid diet" wasn't as restrictive as some. We did protein shakes, but also could have yogurt without fruit chunks, strained soups, sugar-free jello and pudding, broths, and all the water we could get in (all surgeons will have different requirements).

That was in May. My doctor was fine with it, and I have always taken a multivitamin anyway.

now I still follow a low-carb, high-protein approach with my husband. I do measure out my food still, but I am not eating the exact same portions he is, but mostly that's because I'm adding a lot more servings of vegetables in a day than he can fit in.

Im currently in pre-op evaluation to have my own surgery

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

MPeterson2311
on 11/15/17 9:17 am

Wow! I am surprised your doctor "ok-ed" that! I hope you get routinely checked as I have heard sometimes a liquid diet has vitamin deficiencies :( Were you recommended to take a vitamin? I am curious. I have heard liquid diet thrown around for years for pre-surgery, post-surgery, etc. but it ALWAYS came with a HUGE price tag of "buy our shakes!" which I could never afford.

Most Active