Nashville Nutrition and Emotional Wellness

Groups » Nashville Nutrition ... » Discussion » Transfer of addicti...

Transfer of addictions

ErikaAnn
on 1/16/09 7:39 am - MT. JULIET, TN
As pain full as this topic is for me, I need to talk about it.  In my family you are either an alcoholic, morbidly obese or a b****.  I'm really worried that I will simple switch my addiction.  Do you think I can "focus" or "aim" my addiction? Say, to OCD about housework or something constructive?

2Corinthians 5:7

Truly Trina
on 1/18/09 3:32 am - Nashville, TN

I know what you mean Erika. The topic is very painful. Thank you for your willingness and courage to post.

The same rings true in my family as well. You are either an alcoholic, morbidly obese, a workaholic, a shopaholic, a blooming idiot or the combination of all.

I think it would definitely be worth a try to attempt to aim your addiction to another more positive one but I have not been successful with that so I don’t know how to arm you with the knowledge to accomplish that.

Oh how wonderful it would be to have the OCD one about housework but I don’t think it works that way. LOL.. From my understanding you can’t pick and choose which area of OCD you want to have… If you got OCD then you’ve got to take all of OCD.. For example, Washers and Cleaners have an irrational fear of contamination. They obsess about diseases, germs, virus’s and so on. They live with the constant dread of becoming contaminated or contaminating others. They often wash their hands and clothes countless times a day, and after doing that they never feel clean or safe. That surely has to be so painful and agonizing.

This is so wonderful for you to bring up.

I am so excited about February 2nd. It will be here before we know it.

Try not to fear so much about things that may or may not happen. It will eat you alive. I know you see it happening all around you and you want to be able to prevent it from happening to you. You have a great healthy response and approach.

Trinafat05-19-06-1.jpg 100 x 75 picture by trina_davis_photoTrinaandBobbieJuly2008-1-2-1-1.jpg 63 x 100 picture by trina_davis_photo*Member of Student Dietetics*  *Certified support group leader Obesity Help*  Patient Rep support group moderator Vanderbilt Center Surgical Weight Loss
Start weight 277    Reached my goal weight 115

barbiej
on 1/19/09 4:55 am, edited 1/19/09 4:56 am - Goodlettsville, TN
Hey whatca mean,  when we were in the military our friends would come over and make comments about, well if we run out of room on the table and the bar we can go to floor.   I had one of our friend try'n to figure out how I could put a hole in the wall, and never measure  it, and it be right where it was supposed to be. Or how my cabinets stayed so orderly. And when we left quarters, our exit the only things the staff sgt found was a small thread from a rag that I used to clean the bathtub with. I can't clean like that as well anymore since all the weight gain. But I've noticed , and certain comments that some is com'n back. about how and where I place certain things. But of course there are other things that I'm not so adversed in open'n up about. It hurts, food of course ya'll know is one, and we will alway have that monkey on back, but we have to find another tree for it to climb on.  I wish that I had the energy to redo the house like I used to when Brian was at work. Wow thoughs were the days. There are so many things I want to do.  And summer is just around the corner, that will help. I thank that I've transferred all of my love for clean'n into cook'n and as well eat'n before my surgery.  In my mind it started out healthy, and some was, but it was mighty tasty!!! Sorry just rattle'n

stuckintexas
on 1/27/09 9:16 pm

"You are either an alcoholic, morbidly obese, a workaholic, a shopaholic, a blooming idiot or the combination of all."

WOW  I think just maybe I should be insulted LOL........

Not much to add, so sorry.  Just wi****oo had that housecleaning OCD thing 

StuckinTexas