Nashville Nutrition and Emotional Wellness

Groups » Nashville Nutrition ... » Discussion » What's True About N...

What's True About Nutrition?

Truly Trina
on 1/27/09 12:55 am - Nashville, TN

Nutrition...  by You're lovely, lets sing a song.

How can you trust information about nutrition when it seems to change every week? Does a glass of wine a day really protect against heart disease? Is butter or margarine better for you? Does a high fiber diet help prevent colon cancer? One day the answer to these questions may be yes, the next day, no, according to the latest scientific studies. Why do these studies seem to have conflicting information?

One reason is that in the past, scientists were the people who discussed nutrition research, and when enough evidence accumulated, these scientists made recommendations to the general public. However, journalists, radio commentators, TV talk show hosts, and many Web sites report findings of new nutrition studies. While it is important and necessary for the public to be informed about scientific issues, the mass media does not always provide the context from which scientists view new research. One study is often reported in a way that suggests a new nutritional truth has been unearthed. Scientists, however, know that one study proves nothing. To scientists, a study that challenges conventional nutrition guidelines means that more research needs to be carried out.

Now listen, this is the part I really want you to hear. Talk show hosts, clerks in health food stores, track coaches, proprietors of gyms, physicians lacking nutrition education (approximately three out of four) and people with miscellaneous Web sites may confidently dish out nutritional advice. These individuals, however, do not have the rigid and brutal academic training required to speak with authority about nutrition. Where, then, you might ask are the reliable sources of nutrition information?

You can trust information from publications and Web sites of professional nutrition organizations such as the World Health Organization, The United States Department of Agriculture, the American Academy of Nutritional Sciences, the American Dietetic Association, the Dietitians of Canada, and the Society for Nutritional Education. You also can trust the many newsletters published by nutrition departments of colleges and universities. Nutritionists and registered dieticians will provide accurate nutrition information-though their recommendations may differ in certain details depending on each professional's interpretation of current research.
Vegetables from the Garden by Somerslea.

Trinafat05-19-06-1.jpg 100 x 75 picture by trina_davis_photoTrinaandBobbieJuly2008-1-2-1-1.jpg 63 x 100 picture by trina_davis_photo*Member of Student Dietetics*  *Certified support group leader Obesity Help*  Patient Rep support group moderator Vanderbilt Center Surgical Weight Loss
Start weight 277    Reached my goal weight 115

ErikaAnn
on 1/27/09 2:04 am - MT. JULIET, TN
Great article!  Thanks for the reminder.

2Corinthians 5:7

jharrington8172
on 1/27/09 3:02 am - Hermitage, TN
Very infomative article, thank you for sharing.

480/435/180/230
HW/SW/CW/GW

Currently Looking into Plastics with Dr. Carden (in Mexico)

barbiej
on 1/27/09 3:40 am - Goodlettsville, TN
There are alot of this info that us as WLS patients must take as a grain of salt, and what I mean by that is in a very, very small amount!  Yes Trina, sweetie you are right they aren't capable of mak'n these types of discussion stick to wall of our tummies or as that goes anyone elses,  in so many words. It would diffenently overload ours. Our regiments are so completely different then a normal persons that it's not funny.  If they have for instance a glass of wine, that isn't a dry wine, of course your are meaning the red wine, that is the one that is consider to be heart healthy, you see it can get rather confusing. Ours is alittle more indepth.
Like the veggies, and being prepared, there is a certain way we prepare that is different that say to be fried, or in such as a tator, just boil with tons of butter, we have the smart balance, or I can't believe it's not butter etc.  Or the sugar subs. for our wonderful cup of hot tea, ya know what I'm talk'n about. They aren't allowing for the changes of folks with different strokes. It sounds as though they are putting us all in a group of everyone, and this is how it is!!! Just wait a few months this too will pass. And it really makes ya wonder????

BellBuckleGal
on 1/27/09 4:06 am - Bell Buckle, TN
This is along the same line of a post I put on the Yahoo group website.  I went for my second nutrition appointment and was given a generic meal plan where it says I can have 1 small bowl of noodles and that would count as 1 of my 2 carb servings.  I wasn't given a specific amount or weight and so I looked to the bag as a guide and it said 2oz.  When I weighed it out on my scale 2oz was 1 cup of noodles and I don't think that 1 cup of noodles could be considered 1 carb choice for anyone who has had weight loss surgery.  However, when I looked online to try and find some help I was told a serving size was 2oz.  It's just so confusing for those of us who have had WLS or preparing for it as to know the proper amount of food we should be consuming.