Nashville Nutrition and Emotional Wellness

Groups » Nashville Nutrition ... » Discussion » When Obesity Is A C...

When Obesity Is A Crime

Truly Trina
on 5/23/11 2:43 am - Nashville, TN

Did anyone read the current issue of "The City Paper" issue date of 5/23/11?

The featured article of the magazine is "When Obesity is a Crime". A look at why doctors are getting the Department of Children's Services involved in cases of childhood obesity.

Should parents now be afraid to take their children to the doctor?

I have my own critical thinking evaluation of this article, however I would love to hear an input from you. This story may be a real eye-opener for some that haven't thought along these measures.

I would love to hear your thoughts....

Trinafat05-19-06-1.jpg 100 x 75 picture by trina_davis_photoTrinaandBobbieJuly2008-1-2-1-1.jpg 63 x 100 picture by trina_davis_photo*Member of Student Dietetics*  *Certified support group leader Obesity Help*  Patient Rep support group moderator Vanderbilt Center Surgical Weight Loss
Start weight 277    Reached my goal weight 115

troup76
on 5/23/11 10:26 am
Thanks for posting about the article.  I found the article extremely interesting.  I do believe there are some cir****tances where the parents are responsible for their kids weight issue.  Now I am not saying that all parents are responsible for their child having weight issues.  However, the home life plays an important role into the future and health of kids.  I do not think that DCS would be called in after the first initial visit because the doctors want to help the family not just the kids.  The ultimate goal is to help the kids learn to make wise choices now and the rest of their life.

I am a parent of an obesity child.  I help my child make wise choices and encourage her to stay active on a daily basis. It is very important for parents to help encourage our kids in the right direction.  The article is completely true as to the conversation that takes place with the kids.  My daughter was completely embarrassed about her weight issue and did not want to discuss it.  The doctors helped her set goals.  The only things that I did not like is that the goals were to ultimately to loose weight.  Now the approach her doctor is taking is to maintain her weight while she grows upward.  This approach is working great because we have to make important decisions everyday so that her weight can be maintained.

Finally, I think that there needs to be more attention paid to what our kids are eating and doing so they do not end up with adult obesity problems.  However, there will still be an adult obesity problem because there are certain health conditions that cause weight issues in adults.

Thanks for posting again.  Love Ya.
Terri