Post_Op_PRs

Carb Advice

rowenusmc
on 3/21/10 11:55 pm
OK, Post OP athletes, I need some guidance.
I am a little over 3 months out from RNY and I am beginning to pick up my training quite aggressively.
I am training twice a day.  Swimming between 3000 and 5000 yards a week, running 25 miles a week, and weight training and cross training.  Will begin bicycling 50 miles a week in a couple of weeks.
I can feel that I am running out of steam after about 2 hours of going at it.  I am still mostly eating protein shakes and carb master yogurts. I eat some meat and vegetables, but not a lot.  
I need to start adding some carbs, but at the same time, keep losing weight.  I started this journey at 273 pounds.  I am down to 215 now and still want to end up below 180 pounds.
Who has some advice?
Thanks!
Semper Fi,
Rod

Hawgman
on 3/22/10 3:12 am - TX
Wow Rod you are hitting it hard!!  Congratulations!

I would definitely advise seeing your nutritionist and making sure she has a good picture of the kind of calories that you are expending everyday.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Darrell
DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/22/10 10:41 pm - Fort Worth, TX
You NEED carbohydrates!!! Just make sure you are eating COMPLEX Carbs, and not simple, sugary carbs.... Veggies & Fruit, nuts, oatmeal, grains, wheat, brown rice, granola, etc... You are doing awesome bro...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MacMadame
on 3/26/10 10:36 am - Northern, CA
I did a lot of training while I was still losing and I didn't really have the issues with energy that a lot of folks report. My surgeon had me up my protein every time I upped my activity level and that had the side-effect of upping my calories a bit and my carbs a bit. But I didn't go nuts adding the carbs.

If you are still trying to keep to 800 calories a day on that training schedule you are going to bonk, no doubt about it. I started out around 750 a day on average but soon was up to 900 and then 1200 and then, at the end when I was trying to stop losing, 1600. The more you lose, the more you have to eat to supply your energy because you just won't have the fat stores to do it.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

rowenusmc
on 3/26/10 12:56 pm
Thank you for the reply.  I will increase my protein and see if that makes a difference.  I am already eating some carbs, mostly just through the black bean salsa and an occasional salad. 

MacMadame
on 3/27/10 12:27 am - Northern, CA
As my calories went up, my carbs did too. But not like they are now that I'm on maintenance!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

1texasmom
on 4/14/10 12:02 am
If you're making blender shakes and not just using RTDs then whirl some fruit in the mix.  Berries and a little frozen banana are great.  I've also used mango.  Buy them frozen in bags and they last longer, or fresh and freeze your own to save money.  If you still bonk out, a T of peanut butter tastes great in a vanilla or chocolate shake.  Depending on your caloric intake, use with milk or water. Milk has the extra carbs and protein, but adds another 100 calories or so.

RNY: 11/19/07

SW:260

LW: 140 (January 09)

CW: 180

GW: 155-160