VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » The reality of long...

The reality of long term maintenance

MacMadame
on 9/1/11 5:00 am - Northern, CA
I haven't found it particularly hard to stick with these habits. But I have my indulgences so I don't feel particularly deprived, either.

One thing you can do is find something active to do as a hobby (you notice I don't call it exercise) so you have some insurance calories. With more exercise, your 1200 calories a day could be 1500 and that's enough for a cookie a day or maybe some ice cream once in a while or whatever it is you like to eat that you are depriving yourself of right now.

Like Fawn, I'm big on the whole finding a happy weight and not stressing too much over whether it's 5-10 more or less than what your mind tells you it should be. If you end up eating 1300 calories a day and gaining a few pounds but you are living a lifestyle you can maintain forever, you will be much happier than if you are constantly fighting to stay at a slightly lower weight and often can't eat what you'd like to eat.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

moparmemaw
on 9/1/11 8:40 am - IA
I'm already at the point where I fear re-gain.  I do indulge in a sweet now and then (generally ice cream), but so far, it hasn't really hurt me.  I have continued to lose, albiet slowly.  But, I really don't want to lose any more.  I'm very comfortable with where I'm at and with how I eat.  I don't want to struggle daily, which is why I didn't set my goal any lower.  I know myself well enough to know that I'm weak and to keep off another 15 pounds would be impossible for me. 

That said, I'm at 145 this morning, 5 pounds from my high school weight, so I'll take it!!  And I'm 5 pounds under the goal the doctor set. 

Now might be the time to incorporate some exercise, Diane.  I know how you hate it.  I used to hate it too, but now I'm feeling crappy when I don't!  Who knew that I would like it!?!?!?  I find it challenging and just a part of my daily routine now.  I do hate taking my morning walk in the dark, but I take my pepper spray (for dogs) and wear a headlamp with LCD lights so I can be seen.  It's quite peaceful in the mornings and I love to hear the birds waking and singing in the daylight. 
Wanda
Some people might not support my WLS decision. 
Those people remind me of slinkys. Not good for much but it would would bring a smile to my face if someone pushed them down the stairs.

Ticker includes Pre-op weight loss 24 lb. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/1/11 9:20 am
You painted such a pretty picture of your morning walk that I cannot wait until it's cool enough to walk outside here again.  I do the treadmill thing for now.
moparmemaw
on 9/1/11 10:31 am - IA
Oh I hear ya Trish!  Our hot spell didn't last as long as yours....you Texans like to do things BIG! lol

We've had a lot of over 100 degree days, but the mornings were still ok for walking outside.  I love the mornings.  When we are camping, there is nothing like going outside just to listen to nature.  It's very calming. 

I have had to do the treadmill a few times, though.  It's not as much fun, but I feel like I get a better workout on it. 
Wanda
Some people might not support my WLS decision. 
Those people remind me of slinkys. Not good for much but it would would bring a smile to my face if someone pushed them down the stairs.

Ticker includes Pre-op weight loss 24 lb.