1 week and 1 day post-op

Dec 31, 2008

Well, I made it!!  I have been home for exactly one week tomorrow.  I came through the surgery pretty well.  I don't really remember it but I was told I had a lot of nausea after the surgery.  My surgery was at 9 but I didn't get to leave the Recovery Room until almost 3 because of the nausea.  Then the nurse wouldn't let me get up and walk until after 4 because she wanted to make sure I was ok once I got on the floor.  Once I could get up, there was no stopping me.  I walked and I walked quite a bit on the day of surgery and the day after.  I had some of the worst gas and every time a had bad gas pains then I just got up and walked and walked and walked.  It really help.  I slept for 5 hours straight my second night and was up and ready to go home by 7:30 Christmas morning.  Dr. Bour came in and told me that if I tolerated the clear liquids then I could go home at 2. - Back track for a moment........not having anything to drink was the worst on 12/23.  My mouth was so dry and I couldn't wait until I got my blue ice chips around 2 on 12/24....Happy Birthday me!!! - I made it home about 2:30 and my boys were soooo excited that I was home.  Then the hard part really started - all that d*** drinking of clear liquid protein.  I tried the Isopure and it was HORRIBLE.  I made it through the day and headed right over to my Nutrition Store first thing Friday to find something else that I could tolerate.  I found some Health Wise shakes and despite the sweetness they weren't so bad. 

Today is 12/31 and I went for my first post-op visit.  I weighed 299.8 which is down 17 pounds since the Thursday (12/18) before surgery!  Yay me!!!  Dr. Bour says I am right on target and doing great.  He removed my drain which felt wondeful.  I also get to start full liquids now like cream soups, sf/ff pudding, milk but I still have to get in 80 grams of protein a day and 64 oz of fluid.  I felt a little hungry but when I talked to Meg (Nut) she said that it is probably dehydration because I have only been drinking 20 oz of fluid a day.  My stomach is also playing tricks on my b/c it keeps moaning and groaning which makes my head think it's hungry.  But, I'm doing really well and very proud of my success so far.  My DH says he can tell a difference in my face already and I think I see the start of a jawline and the double chin disappearing.  So, despite the few "WTH have I done moments" and the few crying spells I am doing pretty good and happy so far.

Well, it's bedtime.......and no it's nowhere near midnight but I'm ready to sleep now....Good Bye for now!


About Me
Greenville, SC
Surgery Date
Jul 24, 2007
Member Since

Friends 27

Latest Blog 9
Countdown time!
My name is Tonya and I am addicted to food
Pre-Surgery Diet
So nervous and excited