Recent Posts

Shelley J.
on 1/5/07 2:33 pm - Clinton, MS
RNY on 02/05/07 with
Topic: FYI: Preop Surgery Prep List - Hospital Packing List
I copied this from another area in OH - - Thought you guys might like to see it here. WHAT TO TAKE TO THE HOSPITAL - Lip balm / chap stick...for the dry lips when you can't have ice chips -Baby wipes or antibacterial wipes to freshen up -Trial size baby lotion or favorite lotion -Small shampoo and conditioner -Brush, hair ties -Toothbrush and paste ...the hospital provides some but it tastes horrible -Deodorant -Insurance card and living will or health care proxy, medication list -Your own pillow w/colored case (this will be handy for the ride home too) -Loose clothes to wear home and a good pair of non slip sole slip on shoes...you will hate to bend over to put on shoes -Camera in case you want to document the journey ...this is an optional item -Phone numbers in case you want to call family / friends -Sanitary napkins (a lot of women will start their cycle right after surgery) -Eye covering (if light bothers you), earplugs (if noise bothers you) -Pictures of family or loved ones...This is an optional item -Small fan ...this is an optional item -Get some type of long wooden spoon or something you can wrap toilet tissue around. If that doesn't work, get a family member to help wipe. -A robe and house shoes to walk in the hall after surgery -Some reading material like magazines...you won't get through a book with all the drugs they have you on. -CPAP machine (if dr. requires it) -Albuterol rescue inhaler Pack your bag to go to the hospital and then remove HALF of that. You won't use it all! Post-op List -Lots of small dishes to eat from -Replace all the batteries in things you use regularly (TV control, VCR controls, cordless phone, etc) -Buy yourself a small bag of sugar-free peppermints. These are great if your queasy post-op or peppermint tea. Hot tea is a great help in the morning to relax your new pouch. -Small plastic dishes for freezing and or refrigerating left -overs -Small spoons and forks -Extra measuring cups and spoons -Vitamin e oil for dry stomach skin - Foods that can be eaten post op. Bottled water ,baby apple juice (Dole,),instant breakfast, no sugar added popsicles, jell-o pudding, some type of protein powder, gatorade ,chicken broth, instant mashed potatoes. -A good strainer to strain the chunks out of soup -For those of you that don't have a shower seat, see if someone you know has one you can borrow (bleach the thing before using of course though) or purchase one if possible. Make sure if you are borrowing one that it has rubber grips on the feet of it though that are in good shape. You certainly don't want to slip and fall in the shower -One of those grabbers that you can pick things up off the floor -Whatever vitamins and supplements you plan on taking -Protein shakes and shaker cups -Bags of ice...for getting in fluids and making shakes cold -Mederma or scar gone to heal incisions -Food processor or magic bullet to blend the food Happy Preparing... Shelley
Shelley J.
on 1/5/07 2:24 pm - Clinton, MS
RNY on 02/05/07 with
Topic: RE: Attn Kim & Shelly
Hi Cissy, Glad I am not the only one going a little nutty with emotion! Welcome to February 2007 board and to a SHARED DATE! I'm sure we will all have huge ups and downs prior to "the date" but we'll do it together.... (Surgery Sister Hugs) Shelley
Shelley J.
on 1/5/07 2:18 pm - Clinton, MS
RNY on 02/05/07 with
Topic: RE: I have my surgery date too!! Feb 1st 2007
Hey Doreen, I picked up a couple of things as I was motivated by your previous post. I got a set of strainers and a pill box to track my vitamins et.al. I still need the "play" dishes. I have appointments from 3pm on Monday (8th****il 9pm which will be my nutrition class, my doctor talk (in a group) and a required support group meeting. Then on the 18th, I have my one on one visit with the doctor. I don't have my pre-ops scheduled yet, but will be calling tomorrow to make sure there are no delays. I'm still excited, but find my nerves getting more and more of me lately. This is a good thing right? We aren't crazy right? I added you to my friends list so we can PM easily... keep in touch my friend... Shelley
Jacquie1
on 1/5/07 12:45 pm - Manassas, VA
Topic: RE: Another February Bander!
I am getting Lap Banded by Dr. Halmi in Virginia on February 9th and I have Federal Blue Cross and Blue Sheild and they approved it and I have the letter. I called BC/BS and asked even before I had my first consult with my surgeon and they said it was covered, however, not until January 1, 2007. I had my pre-operative appointment today so if there was an insurance issue they would have told me. You might want to check with them again, because I have BC/BS Athem, Federal Government, yours should be the EXACT same thing. You might have someone at BC/BS who isn't up to date on the coverage changes. Hope this helps. Jacquie
CissyB
on 1/5/07 10:49 am - Jackson, NJ
Topic: Attn Kim & Shelly
Well this is too funny. My new surgery date is Feb 5, I just found out today...from Jan 15...and Feb 15 is my birthday three nervous nellies here. ...the three of us. I can tell you both though, I was supposed to go in November, I wanted to wait til after the holidays...now my doc wants me to loose some wt. before surgery. you could read my blog it might help you both. I just came on here in august. I'll be seeing you again on the Feb board.. Cissy
Stacey B.
on 1/5/07 9:07 am - Tacoma, WA
Topic: Another February Bander!
Hello all- I've got my Lapband date Feb. 20 with Dr. Oh. Now I'm getting nervous! Not so much the normal questions- Am I doing the right thing, Will it work for me, What would I look like skinny? but will either of my insurances pay? I am covered by Federal Blue Cross/Shield and then by TriCare Prime. It turns out that Fed BC/BS does not give pre-approval for bariatric surgery. You get it done and then they will decide if they will pay or not! I guess that slows down a few that are not that committed to it. All of my pre-op tests are scheduled and I have an appointment next Friday to find out if TriCare will cover it (or the remander) depending on what BC/BS does. Not too sure how that works with military insurance and the civilian world of medicine? I want my band either way but it would be such a load off to know I don't have to foot the whole bill! My hubby says not to worry about it... maybe he has plans to pay for it? Well good luck to everyone on this joint adventure- I don't see anyone else with my same date yet. I'd love a lapband buddy! Let's keep in touch!
AZdove
on 1/5/07 1:26 am - Tolleson, AZ
Topic: RE: Nervous about new date
I was originally scheduled for surgery 11/22/06 and that was cancelled at the last minute. I am now scheduled for noon on 2/7/07. My nerves are a little on edge because I believe everything happens for a reason...and happens when it is supposed to happen...not just when I want it to. I had it in my head for a while that the reason that my original surgery date was cancelled was because of some cosmic karma that said I should not have the surgery. What I have been dealing with is that the same cosmic karma is telling me I SHOULD have the surgery but just not until 2/7/07. It is a yo-yo of emotions...somedays I am much better than other days. I am sure I need this surgery. I have all the reasons to HAVE this surgery. I just need to stay resolved to SUCCEED at this surgery. I am my own worst enemy sometimes. I understand so much your worry level. I also get encouragement from looking at the before/after pictures over and over again. This is a big step. It is a permanent step. But I really do think it is the best step in the right direction for a healthier life which will benefit not only me but my children and grandchildren for the rest of my life. We will make it. Tiny steps.
RainSpirit
on 1/4/07 12:13 pm - Martinsville, IL
Topic: RE: I have my surgery date too!! Feb 1st 2007
I am going through all those emotions too! I am so happy to have a surgery friend! You will get the things you need too I am sure. I know I will never be eating over 1 cup of food so I figured these things would be perfect. I am going the 11th to get all my preop testing done. Chest xray, upper GI, blood tests, and EKG. That is all in the AM then see the Dr for my preop physical to get clearance for the surgery. Then the 18th all day class for preop diet etc. 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. WHEW! Do you have all yours done? We can be nervous and excited together ! Now to figure out how we check on each other for surgery hugs! Doreen
bb249book
on 1/4/07 11:45 am - Ocala, FL
Topic: Need a lapband buddy
Hi all, I am scheduled to have surgery by Dr. Rumbaut in Monterey Mexico on Feb 27. My lapband buddy had to cancel so I need to know if anyone may be considering surgery around that date by this Dr. There is a discount of $1,100 if 2 people schedule together. Barbara
wormmy
on 1/4/07 11:16 am - Bloomington, IL
Topic: RE: Nervous about new date
Hey there, I too am having my sugery on the 15th. Found out today! I am so scared and nervous but still excited. It's a roller coaster of emotions, but everyone says that it is normal to feel this way and even up until you roll into the operating room. My friend said she wanted to yell "Stop" as they were putting her out but it was just nerves. Be assured that we are legit in our nerves and that it will be ok.
Most Active
Recent Topics
HAPPY 3 YR SURGIVERSARY!
SUSIEQQ62 · 0 replies · 746 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 1 replies · 768 views
Reality
Shelley J. · 0 replies · 717 views