lap band is a dream buster . it doesn't work. BEWARE of this surgery

alora282003
on 11/25/07 2:53 pm - berwyn, IL
ok i know,i know there are tons of you on here who will disagree with me, but i know there are ones out there who will. i got the band back in april, with so many hopes and dreams. i was suppose to be skinny by summer. WELL THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN. i did lose 45 pretty quick but it has been months since i lost anything. now my day begins with me getting up and not being able to eat anything. once in awhile i can eat some cereal. i am lucky if that doesn't come back up. ok lunch time, that get stuck so bad that i puke everything up that i ate. if you know your going to puke it is much easier if you take a drink of something, comes up way better that way. dinner time is the same thing. my family knows "my stuck " look. then my little one knows i am going to vomit when i go to the bathroom. " you puking again mommy?' i would never ever recommend this band to anyone. i could of lost this weight by myself, without paying 8k for it. i eat less that 1000 calories a day, to anyone else i am or should be starving. it just deosn't make sense. on the days that i can eat, if i eat like a child size portion i feel like i am eating like a pig, in actuality i am not eating enough to feed a child. life on the band SUCKS!!! like my goal in life is to be a bulmeic, cause that's what i am. i am straving me body. and losing nothing. and i don't want to hear any BS about needing an unfill because my doctor said i am the correct fill. my body just seems to tighten up all by itself and i am tight as heck. i wrote this so those of you considering the band will think twice, because you can lose that by self without paying through the ass for it. there are alot better alternatives out there. and by the way if you have a huge bmi you will lose it quicker, but you will plateau and then you feel the same way that i do.
taylorsn
on 11/25/07 9:52 pm - Great Mills, MD
I am sorry to hear that you are not seeing the results that you have hoped. I will be having gastric done tomorrow so by no means do I have much advice to give about the lap band. But I do know that everyones body is different. And maybe it will take more time. The doctors can only predict what they think is going to happen, but if you are eating less and working out then I can't see how the scale can't be moving in your favor. Have you talked over your concerns with your doctor?
Pam T.
on 11/26/07 5:22 am - Saginaw, MI
If you're vomiting everything you eat, then something is WRONG. You should see your doctor and have a serious discussion with him about exactly what you are experiencing. Vomiting and not being able to eat is not normal and you need to figure out what is wrong. Be persistent and don't stop asking questions until you find the answer that is right for YOU. Being bitter and negative about the procedure you had is NOT going to help you lose weight --- you must maintain a positive attitude to see positive results. Your negative attitude might have something to do with your inability to eat normally --- your body "tightening up all by itself" could be a mental reaction. The Band only allows you to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week. Which means in the 32 weeks since you had surgery your goal weight loss should be at about 30 to 60 pounds .... so it sounds like you are right on track with 45 pounds. I personally chose to have RNY because I didn't think the Band was right for me. However, this surgery is a PERSONAL decision and one that each person much make for themselves. Posts like yours does not help anyone. If you have an opinion, voice it with tact, not aggression. I think you're way out of line to air your negative posts here. Good luck with finding out what's wrong. I wish you the best of luck on your journey to better health. Pam
alora282003
on 11/26/07 7:00 am - berwyn, IL
well i am sorry yo ufeel that way. and i think it does help people out there to let them know that there are much better operations ou thtere. more and more the band is having failure and people need to know about it. simple as that. i am not negative but i wish somebody had made a post like this before i had gotten my band. so i would of been informed. so i possibly could have made a different decision. it's eas for you to say cause yo uhave lost the weight, or are doing so. and as i said before my doctor says my fill is perfect. so please, don't tell me i am out of line because what? the truth hurts? and i wasn't directing this post to you anyway. it was for future lap band people or current, because i know i am not the only unhappy bandster in this world. if i had been bashing the RNY, then you would have had reason to comment. have a nice day. and thank you for your wishes
attahgirl
on 11/26/07 7:05 am - philadelphia, PA
if your doctor is telling you that your fill is perfect and not assessing why you're still vomiting and unable to keep food down -- then i would suggest finding another doctor.
alora282003
on 11/26/07 7:11 am - berwyn, IL
yeah carolyn, perhaps you are right. it's carzy though, one day i am tight as hell the next i could eat a cow, i think that is why he says i am the right fill.... who knows. oh by the way did yo uhave the RNY??
alora282003
on 11/26/07 7:22 am - berwyn, IL
well i do have one thing good to say abou thte band. it sure prevents me from eating "bad" and when i do it comes up anyway, and i'm like oh good, i didn't need that anyway. i think that the biggest problem is this.... ok most or all of us here at some point is or was a fattie. and we were use to stuffing our faces. so my doctor told me that as soon as a feel restriction i need to stop. well being a fattie and years of stuffing MY face it is very hard to stop eating after 2 bites, so that is probably why i puke everything up, because i eat more than 2 bites. for me, eating is like a disease, losing the weight is like AA it os 1 day at a time. i understand why i am getting sick, or at least i think i do, but what i DON"T understand is why... if i am eating less than 900 calories a day why can i not lose weight. it's like my body is in starvation mode and my metabllism must be soooo slowed doen that i am basically screwed. i simply cannot get under 200 lbs. i can get to 201, 200 soooooo close i can taste it, but my body willnot go under that mark, and JHC, if i am eating like a mouse.. it just doesnlt make any sense. so yeah, i wish i had known about the success rate of the band, because i probably would of gone a different route. but i listened to my doctor, i read the forums and everything seemed perfect. anyway.... maybe it is all just a dream anyway, and never to be a reality.
attahgirl
on 11/26/07 7:42 am - philadelphia, PA
my nutritionist says that if things start going south, to try going back to the basics and doing the liquid or pureed diets to see if that helps. it's possible that maybe you aren't getting enough protein or vitamins? have you tried asking the OH dieticians or other lapbanders who've had similar problems?
alora282003
on 11/26/07 7:57 am - berwyn, IL
why are you getting all pissy. i wasn;t even talking to you. obviously you are not big anymore, at least you don'tl ook like it. so just relax. i am not all those things. sorry to disappoint.
Pam T.
on 11/27/07 1:19 am - Saginaw, MI
Michelle Please stop attacking people. We're just trying to help you. Jumping all over people won't get you anywhere. Also, if you notice under each person's name it will tell you exactly what type of surgery and their surgery date (if they updated that information). You attacked Carolyn who was trying to help you and you wrongly accused her. Notice she hasn't even had her RNY surgery yet. Please. Be nice. Pam
Most Active
Recent Topics