Let's prepare an ER info package that slam dunks the idiots we might encounter

Elizabeth N.
on 12/18/10 9:39 am - Burlington County, NJ
Um, sorry, it wasn't really directed at you, just kinda located as a response. Let me give more details.

1. I reecently got a new cell phone. It has a listing "ICE" at the top of the contacts list, which I was told emergency personnel would look for. So I put a bunch of info into the phone on that space.

2.  I would like to hear from emergency response folks on this thread about a)do you look at stuff like ICE on phones, and what can we do to get your attention for info to spread in front of the ER folks?
(deactivated member)
on 12/18/10 9:36 am

*laffs* Yep, my DH is pretty much the same where things like this is concerned. He at least knows where the emergency stuff is located and can sortof tell you what kind of surgery I've had. I do have all my doctors numbers on my cell...I really need to do a list of treating physicians with their info too. So lets review..

List of surgeries....check
List of medications....check
List of suppliments.....check
Surgery Report....check
DS Card with DS doc info....check (my DS card has info about bowl obstruction too)
All this crap saved on our pc's and backed up on jumps....check

Wow...maybe a medical bracelet would be easier? Do they have them that like have a bar code they can just scan and have our entire history plugged in a pc? DH would like that...just point to the bracelet. *lol*

Elizabeth N.
on 12/18/10 9:42 am - Burlington County, NJ
I dunno about the bracelet. There's pretty much nothing about the DS that influences what EMT folks will do to save our lives, y'know? That's why I'd like to find a way to communicate to the next level of emergency people. Most of the time by far we'll land in the ER NOT by way of the paramedics and EMTS. How do we carry a nice condensed medical record, and how do we communicate our needs forcefully at a time when we might not be at our best?
(deactivated member)
on 12/18/10 9:58 am
Hmm...I'm going to have to think a little more on this one. Laminate a list of info you create and have it at the ready for such an emergency? Even have your insurance info on it...or keep it with your insurance card...attach it. I'm not sure how else we can do it. Pretty obvious we need a strong advocate if we are unable to do it for ourselves.

*DH is looking at me quizically.... I keep darting looks at him as I type lol*
Elizabeth N.
on 12/18/10 10:39 am - Burlington County, NJ
What info do you think should be on that laminated piece?
(deactivated member)
on 12/18/10 11:21 am
Alimentary limb length, sleeve & CC size, DS basics such as scopable stomach; I would imagine once they figure out you've had wls they will automatically conclude it's the RNY, whose remnant stomach you cannot scope so I'd definitely want them to know that is not the case. Picture/graphic of the DS showing the new anatomy. Blood type, medications & suppliment list, past surgery list going back ten years with points of contact, that I'm at risk for bowel obstruction as well as closed loop obstruction (that's what's on my DS card), maybe have the standard percentages of malabsorption so they can understand how the DS works, just in case they think oral medications do not absorb properly..what else? Any meds you're allergic to... hmm... what else, what else...the usual emergency contacts in your family. That's about all I'm coming up with.
Elizabeth N.
on 12/18/10 11:45 am - Burlington County, NJ
Sounds good to me. I'd just change the order of information. EMTs don't need to know this stuff, right? At what point in the ER process is it necessary to give details? We know we can have intubations and all that stuff *** RNY'S can have that stuff too, but it's kinda pointless to try to explain the difference to them between an airway and a stomach scope cuz they''ll all just shriek and scream.)
(deactivated member)
on 12/18/10 11:54 am
Yep, I was just tossing it out there in no particular order. We need more input from medical people, that's for sure. I did just catch up on the one response and that was great but it also shoots down the jump drive due to viruses...but you can get a virus from anywhere on the net, even just visiting a phished page without downloading anything. I still like the jump idea...but if there are no established standards between all hospitals, we're screwed. Maybe for now the only way is antiquated paper and pencil or a combination of both.
pycca
on 12/18/10 10:40 am - Haslet, TX
As an emergency responder for heart attacks, when coming thru our hosp,, we do ask family if medical info is available,,, we look for a bracelet if not responsive,  if unattended admit a patient  advocate does go thru a cell for numbers,,,,

I would think having a list in the ICE would help,,, we do look for a listing,

Have seen some that came in with a jump drive,,, with a LARGE print label on it stating medical Info..

beemerbeeper
on 12/18/10 9:56 am - AL
Wow Eileen,

You've got it together!! I think you just need to put those on a thumb drive or two and you are all set. You are way ahead of me.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 356 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 814 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views