Batwingsman’s Posts

Batwingsman
on 2/26/24 4:14 pm, edited 2/26/24 4:17 pm
Topic: RE: Pending Disaster Re: Fish Antibiotics

As many of us are aware, it is common for us post-ops to order Flagyl (Metronidazole) from reliable online suppliers of fish antibiotics to treat our occasional bacterial c. difficile ("c. diff.") intestinal infections b/c it is cheap(er) (well, used to be ) than from "people" pharmacies. More importantly, no prescription is required . I myself have always ordered from a major particular supplier of fish and bird antibiotics located in Utah.

Very unfortunately, we customers of the supplier in Utah recently received a group email from the company informing us that, until further notice, their company will not be able to fill any orders for any fish antibiotics. After further inquiry, turns out that our F.D.A. has sent warnings letters out to the manufacturers of fish antibiotics ordering them to cease and desist in doing so. Although I have not been able to ascertain the precise reason for the letters (nor seen a copy of the actual letter) I have a hunch the motivation behind the F.D.A.'s action is that such "veterinary" antibiotics are, for the most part, being ordered and used by persons for "human consumption" rather than for fish (or birds, etc.), in contravention of the instructions on the bottles of such products. If so, then sounds like that route is now foreclosed to those of us who are in need of Flagyl. This basically means that whenever we need the med in the future we will need to present to our doctors to get a script for same, assuming we can convince them why we need it. A DS surgeon would understand the need, but I'm not sure a non-WLS doc would.

Anyway, has anyone else heard about this matter, or can shed some more light on what is going on here?

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

HW/461 LW/251 GW/189 CW/274 (yep, a DS semi-failure - it happens :-( )

Batwingsman
on 7/24/23 2:13 am
Topic: RE: 1 month out from DS surgery and need advice 7/21/23

I would address many of these questions to your surgeon's support staff .. That's what they're there for .. Who is your surgeon, btw?

Frank talk about the DS / "All I ever wanted to be was thin, like that Rolling Stones dude ... "

Batwingsman
on 7/16/23 4:11 am
Topic: RE: Lisa Presley's Death Determined to Be Due to Delayed Obstruction from D.S. Surgery

Here's more info on small bowel obstruction, so that post-ops may know what to be on the watch for. Strangely enough, the article says that Presley had been complaining of the painful and distressing symptoms of the obstruction for months before she passed. No idea why she didn't contact her bariatric surgeon in regard to the matter all that time. By the time of her death, she had about 30 feet of blood-starved bowel as a result of the obstruction, the autopsy reports.

https://www.today.com/health/news/lisa-marie-presley-death-b ariatric-surgery-rcna94299

Batwingsman
on 7/15/23 11:34 pm, edited 7/16/23 4:13 am
Topic: RE: Lisa Presley's Death Determined to Be Due to Delayed Obstruction from D.S. Surgery

OMG .. Now something for all of us who have had the surgery to be concerned over .. I wonder how long ago her D.S. was performed? However, looking at past news articles, about 10 years ago she was beaming over her weight loss success, telling media that same was supposedly due to diet and exercise changes on her part.

https://www.aol.com/news/lisa-marie-presley-death-brings-230 948759.html

Batwingsman
on 5/7/21 5:04 am, edited 5/7/21 5:08 am
Topic: RE: DS/VSG Surgeons in Colombia

Have a question relating to Colombia surgeons. I found out the other day that the daughter-in-law of a friend of mine is going to be flying to Colombia (don't know which city) next week for apparently a revision from an unsuccessful RNY a few years ago to either a DS or V.S.G. (not sure which). Although she has health ins. here (she is an RN), supposedly her ins. would not cover it (or they would if she kicked in $25K or so of her own money, per her MIL) so she is going there and having it performed for $8K U.S. cash. That revision is even cheaper than my original DS in Brazil was 14 years ago ($10K)! I was not aware of any DS or VSG surgeons in Colombia that cater to U.S. patients, let alone ones that do revisions, and that price just seems too good to be true. Does anyone know of any? I hope she has not been suckered into something that may end up not boding well for her ...

Batwingsman
on 2/19/19 7:52 pm
Topic: RE: "Passing of Vita-Lady"

Don also included this obituary for Michelle (her photo didn't cut and paste here, for some reason, btw):

Michelle Anne Curran, 69, passed into the arms of our creator on 2/16 at 10:05 PM at Good Samaritan Hospital in Puyallup, WA. At her side were her husband Don and son Ben.

Michelle, born 10/15/49 in Vallejo, CA the only child of William and Jeanne McClelland. She is survived by her husband, Don, son's Donovan and Ben Read, step children Kristopher and Michelle Curran, 3 grand and 5 step grandchildren and 1 great grandchild.

She was the founder and president of Vitalady, Inc. providing support, information and encouragement to those having and seeking bariatric (weight loss) surgery.

In lieu of flowers, it is requested you donate to Cascade Animal Protection Shelter, Sumner, WA or other not for profit animal shelter in her name.

A memorial service will be held at Hill Funeral Home 217 E Pioneer Puyallup, WA 98372 (253) 845-1172 on Monday 2/25 at 2:00.

Batwingsman
on 2/19/19 7:39 pm, edited 2/19/19 8:03 pm
Topic: RE: "Passing of Vita-Lady"

(cross-posted from the general forum - Michelle was so helpful to so many of us DSers with her advice and the bariatric products of VL specific to our WLS needs)

Just received this incredibly sad and stunning news of Michelle's sudden passing from her husband Don ("Vita-Guy"), via group email to the VL community .. Please keep him in your prayers ..

I am sending this to Michelle's old friends and people most important to her. She died due to an infection in her lungs which could not be controlled. I hope you will all remember her for the love she shared with the bariatric community. It is our intention to continue her mission at Vitalady. Don C * * * * *

Batwingsman
on 12/11/17 12:07 pm
Topic: RE: "World's Heaviest Man Has Second WLS"

Not sure what the first one was, but it sounds like the second was a lap DS:

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/juan-pedro-franco-onetime-wo rlds-heaviest-man-has-second-surgery-in-mexico-1779367

Batwingsman
on 2/9/17 12:49 pm
Topic: RE: "Over 100 Dead in Riots in Brazil" (Att'n Dr. Antelmo and Dr. Kuster Patients)

Wow ..  looks like Vila Velha and Vitoria are ground zero ..   Scary to see federal troops in the streets there ..  Prayers for everyone's safety ....           http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-violence-espirito-s anto-idUSKBN15O1ZT?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews    

Batwingsman
on 10/15/16 5:13 pm, edited 10/15/16 10:14 am
Topic: RE: Doc Says I Should Take Fish Oil

Two possible alternatives that my older brother has been looking into (he has cardiac issues, but is not a WLSer) .. one is "Red Krill" supplements.  The other is that Mega-something (XL?) pill that Larry King touts (and uses himself) on his infomercials.     The stuff in the Mega pill comes from some green-lipped mussels that are found only in the waters of a bay off the coast of New Zealand or some such.  Both of these products supposedly contain a lot more Omega 3 than do regular fish oil capsules, and they don't leave a fishy smell on your breath.  I don't know though whether either pill is in an oil suspension.  You'll need to check the ads to find out.  Good luck.   

Batwingsman
on 4/23/16 5:24 pm
Batwingsman
on 4/23/16 5:14 pm, edited 4/23/16 10:14 am
Topic: RE: Deficiency issues and the best way to correct it (specifically calcium)?

Wow, didn't know they could give calcium via IV.  I had asked many years ago on here whether we could take regular injections of it ourselves instead of having to swallow 8-12 "horse pills" of calcium citrate throughout a day, and the answer seemed to be "no".     Also, didn't know one could actually end up hospitalized from "low calcium" stores (for immediate needs, such as to maintain cardiac function, the body can and does zap it out of the bones and teeth).  What were your symptoms?   

Batwingsman
on 4/23/16 1:16 pm
Topic: RE: Loss of Vision Following DS

Scary article from CBS News, sent to me by another DSer ..  

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/womans-weight-loss-surgery-leads-to-vision-loss/

Batwingsman
on 4/23/16 1:13 pm
Topic: RE: smelly poop

WM sells little "eye drop bottles" of something called "Just A Drop".  I usually put a few drops in the bowl before I go, and it seems to help somewhat.  Probably works similar to Poo-Pouuri.  Another product I used to use a lot of was Medi-Aire (the lemon-scented version works best, IMHO).   It comes in a little spritzer bottle (with larger refill bottles) that you can carry with you when you go.  Spritz a few shots in the air and it helps cover things up a lot.  It's the same stuff some morgues and medical examiners use to help stave off the smell of decomposition, so you know it's strong.   

Batwingsman
on 4/17/16 7:35 pm, edited 4/17/16 12:37 pm
Topic: RE: 3 year surgeversary

Excellent job and news, Pete ..   you're rocking your DS like nobody I have seen in a long time on here, being a Triple Century Club member and all, and at 3 years out, no less ..       What an inspiration ..  

Batwingsman
on 4/5/16 4:27 pm
Topic: RE: OH Article on the Vitamin and Mineral Absorption of DSers

Kudos to OH for including this article, written by Dr. Greenbaum, in the OH Newsletter this month.  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/vitamin-and-mineral-abso rption-with-the-duodenal-switch-ds

The article is a bit alarming though in that it seems to indicate we need to do regular blood tests for just about every vitamin and mineral (some of which are not even on the recommended annual lab lists).  It seems it's possible for us to get not just too little of one or another but also too much, which can also be dangerous in some instances.  

Batwingsman
on 4/5/16 4:20 pm
Topic: RE: Rosie O'Donnell and her V.S.G.

She's done well with it, but she really didn't need to take that dig at the DS (i.e. no re-routing of the intestines or "issues with going to the bathroom in public")  

http://www.people.com/article/rosie-donnell-opens-up-about-weight-loss

Batwingsman
on 10/2/15 9:23 pm
Topic: RE: DS vs SIDS

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome?

Batwingsman
on 10/2/15 9:18 pm, edited 10/2/15 9:21 pm
Topic: RE: Gassy WLSer Sues Employer After Being Fired

When I first saw the original headline, which didn't mention WLS, I had to wonder if he might be a DSer. The article (and the lawsuit petition) say he had "gastric bypass surgery in 2010", but with the symptoms of the gas and diarrhea, have to wonder whether the DS was involved instead. There used to be a major DS surgeon near the Levitown PA area, but I forget his name at present.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/richard-clem-fired-for-f arting-too-much-at-work-lawsuit_560ee6e7e4b0af3706e0d0c9

Batwingsman
on 1/18/15 9:04 am, edited 1/18/15 9:21 am
Topic: RE: Strange Bone Density Reading

Hi All,

LTNPost, I know ..   

I have a question about unusually HIGH bone density that hopefully someone on here can answer.  

I bought one of the new Weigh****chers bath scales last week, as I wanted a scale that measures and calculates body fat %, hydration %, and bone density %, in addition to just pounds.  I had never taken these specialized measurements before, either as a pre-op or post-op, other than body fat % using one of those hand-held gizmos.

When I used the scale for the first time, I was shocked to see that my bone density was 8.8%, which was off the given scale to the maximum end, being about 1/3 HIGHER than the normal level for someone of my gender and age (53).      If anything, I expected to be below normal or even off the normal end of range, since I have continued to have high calcium PTH levels (i.e. calcium loss) ever since my DS 8+ years ago.  Can anyone come up with a theory as to what would cause abnormally high bone density, esp. in a post-op?  Or, are these type of scales not exactly accurate in taking those measurements?      For what it's worth, the scale also measures and calculates my hydration level as being off the given scale to the minimum end, based on my gender and age.  However, I show no actual signs of dehydration (e.g. the skin pinch test on the back of the hands).  Again, maybe these scales aren't all they're cracked up to be?                

Batwingsman
on 7/1/14 6:45 am
Topic: RE: Welcome Back, Diabetes (Not)

Hello Everyone,

I know it's been a long time since I've visited.  The good news (I guess) is that I have only regained about 1/3 of my EWL at almost 8 years out, and the past year have been staying steady in the 320s.  The bad news is I have watched my A1c level slowly increase this year from the usual 5.2-ish to 5.6, then 5.8, and now 6.0, which = full blown Type II diabetes.  My family doc has put me back on Metformin to try to keep it under control w/o insulin. 

I'm curious as to whether anyone else out there has had a return of their diabetes, post-op? 

My next visit with the doc I'm going to have a blood lipid panel run, to see if at least that part of the DS is still working for me. 

I guess what some have said about the DS not being a "cure" for diabetes but rather a procedure that makes diabetics "asymptomatic" must be correct.    

Batwingsman
on 11/19/13 4:05 am, edited 11/19/13 4:11 am
Topic: RE: Diabetic Post-Ops - Don't Blow Off Your A1cS

I am 7 years out at present, and about 2 years ago I brushed off my family doc's suggestions about having an A1c glucose blood test run.  I continued to do so whenever I had my routine check-up exams and tests performed by him afterwards.  I didn't see any need to and frankly didn't want to incur the cost, either (I don't have ins.).  Up until then my A1cs had generally been below 5.0, which was "non-diabetic".  My last one was slightly above (5.2), but again this was non-diabetic.  

After some rather odd symptoms of late (mostly blurry vision, tiredness and/or 'foggy thinking", that came and went), my family doc finally insisted that I have an A1c run.  When the results came back, I was stunned that it was 5.8, which is "pre-diabetic" or "borderline diabetic".     At this rate, absent substantial re-loss of weight, it looks like I could be full-blown diabetic again in less than a year (i.e. 6.0+).  So much for WLS - even the mighty DS - being a permanent cure for Type II Diabetes.      At least my lipid levels are still well within normal ranges, although my total chol.s are no longer under triple digits.    

The important message here is to continue to have your A1cs run on a regular basis, no matter how far you are out. 

Batwingsman
on 8/16/13 3:57 am
Topic: RE: What's Up With PacLap/Dr. Rabkin's Lately???

Ahhhh  nice to be remembered, and glad I filled your "boring hole" with a bit of excitement, Mary Jo .. 

I suspect now that the "informant" at 10 years out is that wackjob lady fellow lawyer (I hate to admit)/PhD. that is still spewing her venom in the name of the DS, apparently ..  Glad I don't even remember HER name .. 

Batwingsman
on 8/15/13 4:03 pm
Topic: RE: Has anyone had their DS for over 10 years?

I just noticed this member posted earlier.   Unless her d.o.s. is a typo, it looks like she is 12 years out ..   DawnaJoy  

Batwingsman
on 8/15/13 3:54 pm
Topic: RE: 32 Vitamins a day?

That's why it's important to have a blood test for Calcium PTH level .   It will show if you're actually losing calcium regardless of what your "current" blood level is .. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 592 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 966 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 326 views