How long were you under?

Dina P.
on 5/14/05 1:14 am - Jessup, MD
Ok Guys and Gals - my surgery is scheduled for May 19th at Hopkins Bayview. Can anyone tell me the approximate time you were under anesthesia? I'm having the LAP RNY. I'm getting butterflies
pkitty
on 5/14/05 1:35 am - Silver Spring, MD
I went under anethesia about 7:45pm. I'm not sure exactly what time I woke up in Recovery (couldn't see well without my contacts), but it was around 10:30pm. I had a lap RNY with no complications. If you're going laproscopic, do yourself a favor and pick up some Gas-X beforehand. Most of my post-op pain came from gas rather than the actual surgery! For some odd reason, my husband developed sympathy gas. We've spent the last week burping at each other. Romantic, eh?
Dina P.
on 5/14/05 2:31 am - Jessup, MD
You are too funny Thanks for the advice. Does Gas-x even come in a liquid or a chewable? Would you have any other "must have" recommendations for the hospital?
pkitty
on 5/14/05 3:23 am - Silver Spring, MD
Gas-X comes in chewable form, in either cherry or peppermint. The cherry isn't too horrible. (how's that for a ringing endorsement?) Don't bring too much to the hospital. Mine provided a toothbrush and toothpaste, various soap products, a fetching little gown and robe, and sufficient blankets and pillows to get comfy. Here's what I brought and actually used: comb, Oral-B Brush-Ups, iPod (mostly while waiting SIX HOURS in pre-op), rubber-soled slippers. I had a small pillow for the bumpy ride home (the roads around the hospital are bad!), plus we padded the seat belt with towels to ease pressure on the abdomen. Bring a camera, too! You might want to take a photo or two to remind you of the post-surgical joys. My profile now includes a photo of me in the hospital, looking quite woebegone.
Sue Z
on 5/14/05 4:24 am - Annapolis, MD
The length of time varies between surgeons and procedures. My surgery lasted 2-1/2 hours, but I also had my gallbladder removed, which usually increases the time by at least 15 minutes. I also lap RNY. Good luck with your surgery. SueZ
Baby_Phat
on 5/15/05 5:28 am - Baltimore, MD
I'm not sure about the time, but wanted to congratulate you. I'll be having my surgery at Bayview on the 27th.
Dina P.
on 5/15/05 12:54 pm - Jessup, MD
Best Wishes for a speedy recovery. Who's your surgeon? Hollar if you need a friend ~ Dina
Baby_Phat
on 5/15/05 1:21 pm - Baltimore, MD
Dr. Schweitzer.
Rae Smiles
on 5/15/05 10:56 am - Mount Airy, MD
My open took approx 1 1/2 hrs....I took several good books and I did read while I was there...I am not too big on TV....while I was incapable of reading for hours straight, obviously the pain meds worked well...I did pick up the book a lot.... other folks said they never read a page...while I started and finished a mystery during my 4 days there... BTW, with my open I did not have a single gas pain...not a one...they told me I would...but thank goodness, they were wrong.... also, I was about 3 hrs from the hospital....I had no problems getting home...the drive home was not bad...certainly not as bad as I anticipated.... RAE
Lisa M.
on 5/16/05 4:28 am - Catonsville, MD
Hi! I was under much longer than expected. I had lap RNY as well but had my gall bladder out at the same time. So, each case is different. I went in for surgery at 12:30 in the afternoon and wasn't in recovery until 6:30 that evening!!! I was fine, just took some time because of my gall bladder. I agree about taking the Gas X too! God, those gas pains were almost intolerable! Lisa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Therapist Recommendations?
marshmallowstar · 0 replies · 1839 views
Revisions
sauniee · 0 replies · 2790 views
Support
Lalaredd · 3 replies · 4005 views