New to MN Board

C. Champion
on 8/30/11 7:36 am - Minneapolis, MN
Hi everyone, I was told about the local board by another member. I had VSG on 8/15/11 and am just looking for support and friends in the area that know what im going through because everyone I know personaly doesnt understand. So, Hi! My name is Carmel and I am almost 36 yrs old, and I am 5' 10" and my highest weight ever was in 2009, I was 344#, my initial weight at my first meeting was 311#, and my surgery weight was 298#. I am currently down to 284# 15 days post-op. This has been a very hard couple weeks for me as I had buyers remorse for about 13 days, I really was upset that I had surgery and really wanted to take it back and knew that I couldnt and that drove me nuts. I am getting better now I think my brain is adjusting and I am coping now with the "loss" of my "best friend" but I am still very tired and having a hard time getting my fluids in so every day is still a challenge. So that is where I am right now. I know it will get better and I will be happy soon its just getting through this first month or maybe two that are so hard.
So that is my story so far
If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you've always got!
Highest Wt 344, Starting Wt 311, Surgery Wt 298, 1st Goal Wt 200.     

molath
on 8/30/11 8:31 am - MN
Stick in there. I have not had my surgery yet. I had to rescedule to lose weight. I read many posts and you have to prepare yourself for this change. Most of our eating is emotional and not being able to eat will be difficult. I try to prepare myself each day. I myself have little to no support  and I struggle because I live with people who cook everything I like to eat. It is hard for me.  Stay focus and if possible get out the house. YOU WILL FEEL BETTER SOON.
redsnapper1975
on 8/30/11 9:58 am
Welcome!  I am three months ahead of you with similar stats.  I am so happy with my sleeve, but yes, it's certainly an adjustment.  I meet up with the South of the River coffee group on Saturday mornings and find the support really helpful- you should join us sometime.  :)
~ Kim

C. Champion
on 8/30/11 1:36 pm - Minneapolis, MN
Thanks, it is very mentally challenging. The first week and a half was just horrible mentally but I am doing better now with that. The better I feel the easier it gets. I just wish I could get that damn water in everyday!
BJUpNorth
on 8/31/11 12:20 am - MN
Hi CC,

Remember to give it time. It is very unusual that you can get all 64 oz of water and 70 grams protien in for the first month or so. It takes time and we have to learn to constantly sip, sip, sip. Things will get better every day. (((Hugs))) to ya!
Brenda

C. Champion
on 8/31/11 4:09 am - Minneapolis, MN
DragonGirl
on 8/31/11 1:14 am - MN
Hi C! =)
Welcome to the MN board. We must have had our surgeries in the same hospital since Dr. Baker did your VSG. I had Dr. July for my VSG.
I can assure you it gets so much better down the line. I'm coming up on my 8 month surgiversary and I can tell you my life has sure changed in major ways!! You're body is going through some HUGE changes right now and it's still probably in shock mode. You could also be carrying some anesthesia still as well.
Friend me if you'd like, and we can stay in contact. Let me know if you have any questions!
Heidi
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
Darla S.
on 8/31/11 5:22 am - Maple Grove, MN
Another little factoid that I don't believe anyone has brought up for a while (not that it would matter, since you're new here!    )  -

Estrogen, that lovely female hormone that causes us so many other monthly issues, is stored in fat.  As your body starts to lose fat, you get something of an estrogen rush into your system - which makes for some extreme emotions.  Bundle that with the natural tendency to ask 'WHAT HAVE I DONE???', and most people ARE rather messed up for a while!   

Just keep following your doctor's orders, and you'll soon see the pounds melting off.  And THAT, my friend, is bound to make you HAPPY!!!

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

C. Champion
on 8/31/11 10:47 am - Minneapolis, MN
yea that estrogen is no friend of mine I tell ya. I am stabalizing now mentally which is good im just having a hard time with the fluids, I can only get about 48oz in a day and im supposed to be at 64?? I dont know how im supposed to do that. I also realized that I have to get my 20 grams of protein in per day or I am so tired I just want to sleep. I am loosing a pound a day so I cant complain there, but I really was an emotional wreck because I wanted to take the surgery back so bad I was so upset. But thats past now for the most part and now im just having the struggle of finding the right routine.
If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you've always got!
Highest Wt 344, Starting Wt 311, Surgery Wt 298, 1st Goal Wt 200.     

rjsams
on 9/2/11 6:37 am - Eagan, MN
Hang in there, it will get better.  Hormones are a factor, lack of protein, etc.  You are also grieving for the loss of your friend  food.  I know that I was. 

The grief will abate, but the struggle is eternal, I think.  If we didn't have a problem with food, we wouldn't be obese.  Surgery is on the stomach, not the head.

However, I am so glad I had my surgery--I am just over a year out, and it is the best thing I ever did for myself.  Still, I focus on it everyday--food is still my friend, but I'm finding that exercise can be my friend, too.  The more friendly I am with exercise, the more friendly I can be with food, LOL.

Please join us for South of the River Coffee, every Saturday morning at 8:30.  Tomorrow it is at the Caribou Coffee in Byerly's on Yankee Doodle Road.  Not sure who is going to be there, with the holiday weekend, but I am planning on it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1374 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1147 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2618 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2698 views