off the wagon

Nadinemel
on 1/18/12 12:35 am - St Paul, MN

I was at a plateau for several months.  Over the holidays I discovered that I can eat lots of no no stuff, (cookies, chips...) and my pouch never seems to get full.  I went up several pounds and need to get back in the swing of things here.  I stopped chewing well, drink after I eat...

What would you say are the 3 most important things to do to maintain weight loss? 
(I miss my coffee gang too)

debim3
on 1/18/12 8:19 am - Roberts, WI
I do best when I:

1.   eat protein first and protein for snacks
2.   walk
3.   write down EVERY BLT (bite, lick, taste)

Good luck.  You can do it.  A lot of us are struggling with this same issue.  We can find strength from each other.
HW 265 / SW 226.5 / CW 130.5 / GW 135

LynnMarie
on 1/18/12 11:03 am - South Metro, MN
For me part of the problem is that the first year really was the 'honeymoon' period....weight just fell off, I was not prepared for maintence....I was 20 pounds below my goal weight at 12 month post op but staying there was the hard part.  Hunger comes back and you feel so skinny- one cookie is not going to hurt me....right?

I gained back 10 pounds from my all time low.  Here is what works for me now:

My doctor told me to weigh myself everyday.  If my weight goes up- cut back that day- if I stayed the same- thumbs up, you are doing well. If I avoid the scale- I know I am in trouble.

Pack a good breakfast & lunch for work-  when I don't plan what I am going to eat, I eat too much

Don't let up on the excercising.  Everyone goes crazy at first, then at 1 year out they cut back- you are going to gain weight if you are not moving- guareented. Find a program that you can stick with and work out MOST days. 

Good luck- I believe that even though I have gained a few pounds back, I am still a sucess- happy & much healthier than I was.  Good Luck!

Paul H.
on 1/18/12 2:51 pm - Eagan, MN
 Hi Nadine,  
                   Good to hear from you! It is pretty common. I fell off the wagon too, and for me the problem is a combination of being home all day and brooding, I think one of the issues is that full feeling you get with a small pouch and small amount of food. When pushed you need larger quantities to get "that old feeling."
                   I have been pretty faithful on the treadmill, but the calories added up more. SO it ids back to basics, protein first, no snacking and lots of liquids between meals. I think I will have to either spend time in the desert 100 miles away from food or journal everything I eat, just like I did when I was successful.
                  My surgeon pointed out to me that I lost weight prior to surgery, so I have no excuse to not maintain or lose now. I hate logic like that. Lets maintain our accountability with each other through this forum.

Paul
    55# Lost pre Surgery on 2/15/10, 100+ #  lost post surgery

Darla S.
on 1/18/12 11:22 pm - Maple Grove, MN
For me?

1)  follow the post-op rules the best I can.  It's surprising how FULL I get when I eat protein first!  I've never been really great at the not drinking with meals thing, but I'm always aware of when I'm doing it, and I TRY to just take small sips.

2) avoid the kitchen at night.  It's incredible how the crackers and **** can actually call out to you from behind the cupboard doors.

3)  NEVER. GIVE. UP.  Re-gain is a fairly well proven fact.  Anyone who denies that is kidding themselves, and probably didn't do enough research pre-WLS.  You really can't argue with statistics.  What we do when it happens is what matters.  Don't lose sight of how far you've come, but don't give up and abandon ship when you mess up and gain a few.  How easy is it to say 'Well, I'm that one failure, I may as well finish the cold pizza in the fridge and wolf down a pint of Haagen Das."  NO.  Our tools are there for us, and as long as we respect them and stay mindful, they will work for us.  At 5 years out, I've been bouncing around within about an 8 pound range for well over a year, maybe two, and that range puts me anywhere from 12-20 pounds above my lowest weight.  I'd say that's pretty much maintaining.  Am I happy where I'm at?  Pretty much.  Would I like to lose more?  Darn right I would.  Can I?  Yup. 

WLS is a life long deal - a permanent committment to ourselves.  Anyone who thinks it's over once they hit their goal weight is a fool.

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

rjsams
on 1/22/12 10:46 am - Eagan, MN
Nadine:  I totally agree with what everyone has said.  Go back the the beginning--protein first, portion control, nip the snacking and the carbs in the bud.  You can do it!

I found that drawing a line in the sand (or on the scale) has helped me.  I have a weight number that is a red line.  I went over that line last week, and it woke me up big time!  Back to tracking everything I eat, plus ramping up the exercise.  I did two-a-day workouts a couple of times this week, and it is showing on the scale. 

Exercise is absolutely key for me.  I just have to make it part of my everyday routine.  When I get complacent, and it doesn't seem so hard, then I better find a way to ramp up the intensity, or try something new. 

MaryMargaret C.
on 1/23/12 8:26 pm - Minneapolis, MN
Hi My Friend!

I miss you too. And I want to let you know that I am exactly where you are today. Up from eating too much, particularly cookies, sweets and chips.

Right now, I am like LynnMarie - weigh myself every day in an endeavor to stay on track.

And I am like Rene, I have drawn that line on the scale, that red flags me into more diligence.

But I am gentle with myself by reminding me that this crazy little brain is what is driving my behavior. I still have the same brain, just a thinner body. What makes me think that my brain has changed? I keep in the forefront of my consciousness the unhealthy behavior I would like to change. Finally: Take the action required to change the behavior, even though IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL! I just do it.

Oh yeah. And I listen to Paul. He paves a good road with his brutal honesty.

Going ice fishing this weekend, so I will not be at coffee. I am hoping to see you on the 4th!

Love,

MM

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1377 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1149 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2621 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2702 views