Park Nicollet Bariatric Clinic...Good, Bad, or Ugly?

sb5366
on 2/6/12 7:40 pm - MN
I started my program through Fairview Southdale and got really jacked around. They canceled two appointments in a row, one they called the wrong number to tell me and I showed up anyway, and the other they actually called when I was on my way! SO I switched to Park Nicollet after hearing good things from my PCP and my Dad who had his done through them 5 years ago.

Here has been my experience: Rude staff (FYI Laura) 
 that made me feel very stupid when I called in for questions, Dietitian canceled my appointment and was not available for a week THEN told me that the monthly appointments may be too far apart for my ins to accept! I called BCBS btw and there was not a problem as long as the visitis are done ea month. NOW they are making me re-do a bunch of work I did with the previous program.  Oh and they told me they do not think I will qualify and I am on my second to the last 6 month dietitian visit (so almost done). 

What are everyone else's experience with them?? I saw BAD BAD ;)

Darla S.
on 2/6/12 11:10 pm - Maple Grove, MN
I went through PNC 5 years ago, and it was smooth sailing from day one.  Did you go to their info meeting and mail in the packet they give you?  Did they give you a reason why they think you won't qualify?  If it's a valid reason (health issue, psych eval, etc.), you should give it some serious consideration. 

I know the staff in the bariatric department has gone through a number of changes in the past 5 years, and the nurse that helped me navigate it all has been gone for a few years already (although she has become one of my dearest friends).  But none of them should never treat a patient with anything less than the utmost respect.  It's a humbling thing to have to go through right from the start.

I guess all I can say is - if you can get through this preliminary stuff, continue to advocate for yourself and end up getting approved, the surgeons are absolutely top notch.  And the support group they offer every 2nd and 4th Wednesday evening was absolutely key in the success I've had with my RNY.  I haven't been able to get to one since last summer because of a second job I took on, but I may go tomorrow night. 

I guess, at the risk of upsetting you, you should ask yourself - is this really a BAD experience, or am I just so anxious to get to the loser's bench that I'm feeling annoyed by all the steps it takes to get there?

Good luck to you.  And feel free to attend their support group even before surgery, lots of WLS patients do.  It'll give you encouragement to keep fighting for this.

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

sb5366
on 2/8/12 11:54 pm - MN
On February 7, 2012 at 7:10 AM Pacific Time, Darla S. wrote:
I went through PNC 5 years ago, and it was smooth sailing from day one.  Did you go to their info meeting and mail in the packet they give you?  Did they give you a reason why they think you won't qualify?  If it's a valid reason (health issue, psych eval, etc.), you should give it some serious consideration. 

I know the staff in the bariatric department has gone through a number of changes in the past 5 years, and the nurse that helped me navigate it all has been gone for a few years already (although she has become one of my dearest friends).  But none of them should never treat a patient with anything less than the utmost respect.  It's a humbling thing to have to go through right from the start.

I guess all I can say is - if you can get through this preliminary stuff, continue to advocate for yourself and end up getting approved, the surgeons are absolutely top notch.  And the support group they offer every 2nd and 4th Wednesday evening was absolutely key in the success I've had with my RNY.  I haven't been able to get to one since last summer because of a second job I took on, but I may go tomorrow night. 

I guess, at the risk of upsetting you, you should ask yourself - is this really a BAD experience, or am I just so anxious to get to the loser's bench that I'm feeling annoyed by all the steps it takes to get there?

Good luck to you.  And feel free to attend their support group even before surgery, lots of WLS patients do.  It'll give you encouragement to keep fighting for this.
I can tell you that the hoops I am having to jump through are annoying especially since this is the second program I have been with and I also completed three months of weight loss visits from my Dr and also did the psyc thing on my own. BUT my frustration with hoops plays no part in how rude a few of the staff members have been.

The reason they told me I did not qualify had nothing to do with health or mental issues. It was due to the fact that 2 years ago my BMI was 34 and my co-morbidities were diagnosed several months later. They said I need a full two year hist. I called my ins and asked this and talked to a nurse reviewer who then talked to a claims rep and they said it is case by case.

In my opinion if I wish to go for it than I expect support and the same treatment as they would give anyone else, not half ass work or rudeness because they do not think I will be approved. I imagine anyone would feel the same way.

And I also imagine that most of you out there would go for it if there was a chance of getting approved.

BTW they are making me re-do a lot of my previous work like Labs and the Psyc "because it is part of their program" not that the work was sub-par. Just one more way for them to get a bit more money.

I am very glad that most people have had or are having good experiences there.
Paul H.
on 2/7/12 9:35 am - Eagan, MN
 I went to Abbott for convenience, but I have attended many PNC support meetings and info meetings. I have nothing but the highest regard for their operation.
    55# Lost pre Surgery on 2/15/10, 100+ #  lost post surgery

seashell6417
on 2/7/12 9:21 pm - Gaylord, MN
I also used PNC three years ago and have nothing but good things to say about every staff member I had contact with.  Everything went very smoothly and my overall experience was fantastic. 
Tami

Becky T.
on 2/7/12 11:29 pm - MN
VSG on 06/04/12
I can't give an opinion about PNC, but I am currently in the pre-op process with the Unity Bariatric group (Allina) & it has been fantastic! Everyone i've encountered has been nothing but nice & supportive. My nurse coordinator even called me last week just to see how I was doing. Best of luck to you on your journey!
fit2lose
on 2/8/12 11:07 pm - MN
VSG on 05/07/12
I am currently in the middle of my appts with PNC.  I am using my primary for my 6 month requirement, but have my second round of appts with PNC in early March.  So far everything has been great, except for paying for parking, wasnt expecting that. 
NewDayDawning
on 2/9/12 2:26 am
SB -  One thing you need to get a handle on right away - BEFORE you have any WLS is that YOU have to advocate for yourself in all aspects.  Bottom line - it is up to YOU to educate yourself.  It is up to YOU to sit down with your WLS and outline your strategy/plan of action. 

If you have questions - write them down and bring them in at your next appointment.

The last thing you want is after your surgery, to be scared/concerned/frustrated and not feel that you have the support of your weight loss surgery clinic/surgeon.

So grab the bull by the horns, find your inner gumption and demand to have the answers you need and a strategy for going forward.

I would be quite frank and say "Why do you feel I will not qualify?  Should I be going back to Fairview at this point and saving my money if you are not willing to be part of my success?"

Best of luck to you -

Dr. Benn gave me an incredible tool.. and I intend to make the most out of it!!

sb5366
on 2/9/12 3:48 am - MN
I totally agree that is why I am still going even though they were less than supportive. 
Vrtualfire
on 2/29/12 3:13 am - MN
VSG on 01/13/12
I went through PNC starting a few years ago. I first went to an info session and wanted the Lapband 2 years ago, but then I chickened out and put it off for a bit.  I went to another info session (as stuff can become outdated if you do not act fast enough) and met with Dorothy the Coordinator.  I took my husband this time and she was amazingly helpful and I settled on the sleeve.  Thanking my lucky stars I actually chickened out the first time!

I have had nothing but WONDERFUL experiences at Meadowbrook with Dr. DeMattia and her staff, and the nutritionists and then my surgery with Dr. Jones on January 13th of this year.  The only weird snafu was that they originally told me 6 months of NUT visits and such then I found out that MY PARTICULAR insurance did not require it or even cover more than 3 LIFETIME NUT visits. So I had my surgery 3 months early.  Yippee! 

But yah, I really like how they take care of me.  Shareen is my favorite NUT too.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1370 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1143 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2614 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2695 views