Monday morning rolls around again!

rjsams
on 2/12/12 11:03 pm - Eagan, MN
Okay, now I'm really getting frustrated.   GRRR!

This week I worked hard to count every bite and be careful what I am eating.  I probably had too many carbs, and need to incorporate more fruits and veggies back into my diet.  Also probably went a bit high on the sodium.  But I counted every calorie, to the extent possible.

I also exercised every single day except one planned rest day.  I ran over 23 miles in one week, and that doesn't include the cross-training days.  Sparkpeople often gives me the red message that I am not eating enough for the number of calories I am burning. 

And yet, I continue to gain weight! 

Starting weight: 298.4 lbs
Last week: 142.5 lbs
This week: 143.0
Gain of 0.5 lbs. 

I have a terrible head cold today.  Could it be I am retaining fluid?  My head sure feels like it's filled with it!

Hope everyone else had a much more positive week!

redsnapper1975
on 2/13/12 8:54 am
Hang in there!  I have to say I just got a terrible image of .5 lb mucus after reading this post!  You're doing all the right stuff it seems so keep it up.  How much protein do you get in?
~ Kim

redsnapper1975
on 2/13/12 8:57 am
Minus 2.2 this week after a salty 1 lb. gain last week.  Slower lately, but that's ALL me.  Today I ate some feelings and I'm not proud of it!  At least it was protein bars and not a box of girl scout cookies!  I don't feel totally out of control and am confident I'm not done yet and will leave that behavior behind again, but wow- it sure jumps right back out at you, doesn't it?  I'll always be an addict, I guess...

Here's to a good week ahead, everyone!

~ Kim

Darla S.
on 2/13/12 11:00 pm - Maple Grove, MN

Did it occur to you that you just might be gaining MUSCLE?  Muscle weighs more than fat, and it seems to me you are working out more than the average WLSer (well, at least more than ME!!)

I'm not suggesting you skip the weigh-ins, I need to get on the scale more frequently myself.  But pay close attention to how your clothes are fitting.  I know that before WLS, I wouldn't have been able to tell if I gained or lost TEN pounds.  Now, before I even get out of bed in the morning, I can usually tell if I'm up or down even HALF a pound.  Which sounds ridiculous, but I've tested myself, and I'm almost always spot on - not about HOW MUCH, but at least whether I've gone up or down.

We women fluctuate a LOT over the course of a month, a week, hell - even a DAY.  If you are COMFORTABLE with the way your clothes fit and the way you look (DRESSED... I know a lot of us aren't at all thrilled with the way we look NEKKID), then lighten up a bit on yourself and realize you will not lose every day.  You will show gains every now & then.  As long as you stay within a relatively small range (mine seems to be about 5 pounds), YOU ARE MAINTAINING.

Hug yourself for me, k? 

Imperfect does not = unsuccessful

rjsams
on 2/14/12 10:50 am - Eagan, MN
Thanks, Darla.  I appreciate the pep talk, and I do truly hope I am building muscle.  My clothes are fitting fine (not getting any looser, but not tighter either.)

I guess I just have this fear that I will slip back into bad habits, so I need to keep the pressure on myself.  As Kim said, we are always still addicts.  I KNOW that I am a food addict.  I can feel those bad habits creeping back, and sometimes I give myself permission to let them, by using all the exercise I am doing as an excuse.  "You ran five miles today, you can have a cookie." 

I probably can have that cookie.  What I can't do is have five cookies!!  That's what I would have done before, and I want to make sure I don't start doing it again.  :-)

Ran 7 miles today, and had protein first for supper, so I'm on the right track.  Have a good week, everyone!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Valleyfair
kimtree · 0 replies · 1376 views
All In The Family
Darla S. · 1 replies · 1148 views
Any feedback on Park Nicollet?
SNCplus2 · 0 replies · 2620 views
10+ years out -
Darla S. · 2 replies · 2701 views