coreena691
on 5/4/11 12:56 am, edited 5/9/11 11:43 pm - Beaver Bank, Canada

Thanks for everyone's responses.  I'm changing the posting to keep it all positive. 

VBG June 1991 - Revision to VSG May 12, 2011

nsblue
on 5/4/11 1:27 am, edited 5/4/11 1:27 am - Brookfield. NS, Canada

I imagine both ends are equally flustered. Imagine a program with X amount of funding, and I can imagine to get that funding there is criteria to be met (not sure of exacts, but there must be some) So you have 2000 needing it and you have to choose. Makes an awful situation IMO for those who have the say who as well as for those needing it. 2 people in an office that has 2000 calling wanting answers and one is just parttime and the other 1/4??

So the solution? Id say what is being started...as in petions...awareness....getting peoples attention so that the government will give more money to improve the situation. 

As in any goverment...you have to make them see how this will help .... frankly...do they care if someone lives or dies? can't see it.... BUT make a point that obesity is on the rise and as a part of health care it CAN NOT handle it so it is benefitial to support programs such as this so to help the situation before the health care system is overrun with health conditions brought on by obesity.

A in NS
on 5/4/11 2:02 am
On May 4, 2011 at 8:27 AM Pacific Time, nsblue wrote:

I imagine both ends are equally flustered. Imagine a program with X amount of funding, and I can imagine to get that funding there is criteria to be met (not sure of exacts, but there must be some) So you have 2000 needing it and you have to choose. Makes an awful situation IMO for those who have the say who as well as for those needing it. 2 people in an office that has 2000 calling wanting answers and one is just parttime and the other 1/4??

So the solution? Id say what is being started...as in petions...awareness....getting peoples attention so that the government will give more money to improve the situation. 

As in any goverment...you have to make them see how this will help .... frankly...do they care if someone lives or dies? can't see it.... BUT make a point that obesity is on the rise and as a part of health care it CAN NOT handle it so it is benefitial to support programs such as this so to help the situation before the health care system is overrun with health conditions brought on by obesity.

"Does the government care if someone lives or dies?"

Hmmm, they spend less on treating obesity complications (diabetes, high bp, etc..) then it would cost to give all of those people surgeries - why?  Because if the obesity isn't treated, you die & you don't cost them anymore!!  :S  That math is pretty simple!

Weight lost since surgery:

nsblue
on 5/4/11 2:10 am - Brookfield. NS, Canada
It's interesting ang how that diabetes is factor they look at first.....is this because being diabetic puts a strain on the health care system more?? so it's of more importance than another ailment??...really made me think of this when I heard someone say the other day that they look at diabetes first.

A in NS
on 5/4/11 1:57 am
I agree with NSblue - it's not that they want to turn people away, but they only have so much time & money so they have to have some guidelines to be met because if the surgeries are done on people who aren't going to use the tool wisely, then it will look like the surgery itself is a failure and ALL funding will be lost!  I am SURE that they don't want to turn anyone away, but they can only do what they can do...  I know I wouldn't want to be the person in charge of who gets surgery & who doesn't - talk about a stressful job!  The idea of the petition was/is to support the program & help build it up & we all know that isn't going to happen over night so let's try not to get too far ahead of ourselves  :)  I think the idea of the group sessions is to save time - from what I understand they don't have a permanent office space available to them so they only have a place to interview people one or two days/week - can you imagine how much time it would take to see all of these people individually?  With no office space & only part time staff, they would have to spend all of their time on this stage and wouldn't have any time left to do the one on one before & after the surgery...

It's probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's how I see it anyway.... 

Weight lost since surgery:

coreena691
on 5/4/11 3:28 am, edited 5/9/11 9:22 pm - Beaver Bank, Canada

sasmom
on 5/4/11 2:38 am - Stellarton, Canada
After my referral was sent in I emailed to make sure they got it as I had seen on here that some people's "went missing", well low and behold, mine did too! I had to get my doctor to refax it and I was told by the assistant (not Diana) that it was received and put in the appropriate spot on the list. I emailed again because it has been awhile and I haven't heard from them and we had moved so I needed to update my information and then Diana told me she didn't see me on the list!!!! WTF??? So anyway, I emailed her the conversation between me and the other girl and she said "well you must be on the list then, it is about a two year wait". I am taking it she never really looked to see if my name was even there, she just wanted me not to bother her.... So now I am wondering, AM I REALLY ON THE LIST?
sasmom
on 5/4/11 2:41 am - Stellarton, Canada
Oh yeah, I also emailed my local MLA and they sent me an email back and this is what it said:

"I confirm and acknowledge receipt of your email. Thank you for taking the time contact the office regarding obesity.

As you are no doubt aware, health care falls under the jurisdiction of the province of Nova Scotia. In deed there are transfer payments made by the federal government to each and every province but it is the province's responsibility to a lot this funding according to their mandate.

Given this information, if you agree, we would have no hesitation in forwarding your correspondence on to the provincial Minister of Health for their information.

Thanking you again for contacting the office."

So they have forwarded it on....
coreena691
on 5/4/11 3:30 am - Beaver Bank, Canada
That is great to hear!!!!

Thanks for doing your part.  We need more awareness and attention drawn to this matter.  You have done a world of good! ~Thank you!!!

FancyRoses
on 5/4/11 6:11 am, edited 5/4/11 6:11 am - Lower Sackville, Canada
I agree the clinic is doing the best with what they have.  I know when I spoke with Diana Lawlor she told me there was just 3 people,  her the surgeon and a nut... LOL sorry I just love the abbreviations for the nut. 
They need another surgeon or 2 and a real secretary to organize the files and referrals that come on a daily basis,   frigg when I spoke with her I advised I have my business admin and if need be I  would work for peanuts. The funding is much needed but who is it we need to address this with?  Get me a name and email I will write what I have to.  but just as Corenna mentioned who do we turn to? who will guide us and show us the way t o speak up and try and get the clinic more help?  YES ITS NOT FAIR some are waiting longer than others and some pushed up and some bumped down on the list.  Def a ruff call and stressful job for sure. 

so here is the question just how can we help the clinic help more people in need? Could we maybe ask the clinic how we as patients can help?  and just who they suggest we contact and who we can get to support us in this cause for facts and stats?  
My goals to a healthy me            
Most Active