What exactly is a "Scope"?

Lil-Stinker
on 4/23/11 12:58 pm
I think it's normal to have worry or fears over medical proceedures. Your comfort level is not the same as someone elses. Expressing her fears outloud to us is the first step in overcoming them.
Referral sent on 26 Feb 2010 - Sleep Study on 28 May 2010 - Info session at WMC on 14 Jan 11- Appt with the APN (nurse) on 27 Jan 11 - Dietician and Behaviorist appts on Feb 24. WLS Class 6th April 2011 - Surgeon appt 3 May 2011 Dr Yelle - Surgery June 6th          
northernlight
on 4/23/11 2:28 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks Lil-Stinker, for understanding why I feel the need to ask so many questions.  I have already learned so much from the terrific people on this forum and been able to put certain fears to rest. And, you're so right - everyone's comfort level is very different. If I keep my fears inside, I find that they get bigger than they need to be and make me more anxious, so I appreciate it when someone goes to the effort to answer my questions and helps relieve my fears.

Deb

laura S.
on 4/23/11 1:12 pm - London, Canada
Only way to find out about these things is to ask questions and research.  That's what we're all here for.

northernlight
on 4/23/11 2:16 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
(((Laura))) Thank you for saying that. I appreciate your kindness. I do think though that I will just read for a while and let one of my fellow "newbies" ask the questions - I'm sure we have many of the same concerns.

Deb

laura S.
on 4/23/11 11:05 pm - London, Canada
I seriously hope you don't stop asking questions.  I haven't had surgery yet either and will ask any questions that come to mind.  The only reason I'm on this forum is to learn about WLS.   A lot of the other "newbies" don't have the nerve to ask questions in the first place.  Probably because if you do, you take the risk of people responding negatively or critically.  It's a shame that some people do that, but try to ignore those posts and just take the information you need from the positive ones.  There are lots of people who come here and ask tons of questions.  Ask as many as you want and if someone has a problem with that - too bad for them!  LOL

Laura

northernlight
on 4/24/11 2:15 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi Laura! Thanks for letting me know that you have questions as well. I guess I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who doesn't know very much. I know that I do tend to ask a lot of questions but I've felt pretty comfortable because most people have been pretty helpful and quick to give me the information I'm looking for. There's just so much to think about!!!!!

Deb

northernlight
on 4/23/11 1:20 pm, edited 4/23/11 2:30 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Beth, I'll be very honest and say that I'm feeling very censured and hurt by your reply - it really feels as though you are singling me out for criticism just because I'm questioning some procedures. When I joined the forum I was really happy when I was told to ask as much as I needed to as a way to help me understand the whole process. I happen to be the type of person who does tend to worry and I'll admit to being anxious when it comes to unknown medical procedures - unfortunately, I can't just turn that off and just not worry about things - you're fortunate if you can do that - good for you. But please don't take me to task for being anxious and asking questions about tests I may be having.

As far as the sleep apnea goes, please don't assume that I'm unaware of the problems associated with untreated sleep apnea. Believe me, I am not "afraid" of the sleep apnea test, as I have had four of them and I'm well aware of what's involved. Not pleasant but "do-able". As I mentioned in another post, I had a CPAP machine at home for a month and during that time, I tried many, many masks of every type, size and composition, but we were unable to get a proper "fit" with any of them, from nasal pillows to full face masks and everything in between. All of them had leaks, some substantial, and if they were tightened up so that they didn't leak so much, they were then too tight for me to tolerate. My pressure setting is high and when I woke up in the night, I was unable to get back to sleep with the force of the air blowing. After my last sleep study, my sleep apnea doctor concluded that I was one of the few people who could not be properly fitted with a mask and he wrote a letter and spoke to my doctor at the bariatric clinic about the situation, so he is well aware that I am not using a CPAP machine at the moment. Obviously we are all hoping that WLS will "cure" my sleep apnea although I am well aware that it doesn't work that way for everyone.  I am very much aware of just how dangerous untreated sleep apnea is and I would NEVER conceal anything this serious from my doctor - I want to ensure that he knows everything that is wrong with me before we ever get to the surgery stage. He indicated that the anaesthesiologist would be made aware of it so that I could be monitored very carefully during surgery.

I have been feeling really, really happy to have found this forum and I've definitely enjoyed the conversations which I've had with many of you here, but now I'm feeling that I've asked too many questions and it's become a source of irritation for some. I think that for a while I will just read the threads and not post any questions. There are lots of other newcomers and I'm sure that they all have questions as well.  And I will try to take your advice to stop stressing but, as I said before, for some of us, that's just our nature, for better or worse.

Deb 

Lil-Stinker
on 4/23/11 1:49 pm
Ask as many questions as you want - I for one am glad you ask them as it opens up room for more knowlege in the forum. If you are scared, this is the place to come. It helps to know that I am not the only one stressed out about stuff. Thank you for that :-)
Referral sent on 26 Feb 2010 - Sleep Study on 28 May 2010 - Info session at WMC on 14 Jan 11- Appt with the APN (nurse) on 27 Jan 11 - Dietician and Behaviorist appts on Feb 24. WLS Class 6th April 2011 - Surgeon appt 3 May 2011 Dr Yelle - Surgery June 6th          
northernlight
on 4/23/11 2:41 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Isn't it funny that we "newbies" tend to look at those of you who have been here a while and have had your surgeries and we just think that you know it all - lol! I just sort-of assumed that you would not be stressed out like the rest of us who are just starting down this road. What a silly thought though - of course you'll all have things that stress you out! - life does that easily enough, right? Either way, thanks for saying that & making me feel better so I guess we're helping each other in a way.

Deb

Lil-Stinker
on 4/23/11 2:45 pm
Me? I'm a newbie too - I am meeting my surgeon on May 3 :-)
Most Active
Recent Topics