What exactly is a "Scope"?

northernlight
on 4/23/11 11:35 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
I've seen a few people mentioning having a "scope" when they're referring to the various tests we must have. Is a "scope" the same thing as an Upper GI or is it something different? My doctor hasn't mentioned anything to me about having a "scope" done. Maybe I'm just worrying too  much and being paranoid. After all, he knows that I have sleep apnea & that it's untreated and yet, he didn't order another sleep study , which I was so afraid he would do.

I'm sorry to seem so paranoid, asking about all the tests but I just hate to be in the dark and I really like to research everything before I have to go through them, but I'm just not sure what to look up for a "scope". As always, thanks for your replies. I appreciate them!

Deb

jennifer_rpn
on 4/23/11 11:42 am
Hi Deb,

A scope can be one of two things:
1) Upper GI scope where they go down your throat to check things out and make sure everything is okay
 2) Colonoscopy where they go up your rectum to check out your bowels and make sure everything is okay

Hope this helps you!
Jen
Tracey H.
on 4/23/11 11:47 am - Tecumseh, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 OMG. What would prompt this kind of testing? 

Tracey
jennifer_rpn
on 4/23/11 11:52 am
The colonoscopy is helpful in detecting ulcers/polyps on your bowels and the upper GI helps to detect problems also. My understanding is that they make sure your nice and drowsy while doing them so it makes it a breeze. My mom had to have one and was a nervous wreck she went to Dr. Tilbe in Alliston and said he was amazing made her feel at ease
northernlight
on 4/23/11 11:55 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi Jen!  Thanks for your reply so quickly! 

Jen, when you say that a scope could be an Upper GI  "where they go down your throat to check things out", what do you mean by that? I thought that all they did during an Upper GI was to just make you drink the barium & then take x-rays of your chest. Do thay actually put something (a tube?) down your throat as well? Oh, I sure hope that I'm reading this wrong.......

Deb

brenda65
on 4/23/11 12:02 pm - Ottawa, Canada
http://www.gicare.com/Endoscopy-Center/Upper-GI-Endoscopy.as px

have a read this may help with your question
January 14 2011- Orientation at WMC
July 4- Sugery

northernlight
on 4/23/11 12:20 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks for that link, Brenda - that told me exactly what might happen. I still don't know if they will just have me swallow the barium or if they'll actually go in with a scope during the procedure but at least I can now be prepared, just in case. As I said before, I just don't want to have something sprung on me that I wasn't expecting. It still sounds pretty awful but the article did say that they give you an anaesthetic so that you don't gag. Boy, I sure will be glad when all the tests are finished....... Thanks again for the link, Brenda - it helped shed some light.

Deb

Karen M.
on 4/24/11 2:10 am - Mississauga, Canada
I've had a few endoscopies - no big deal at all. In fact, I don't remember them. lol  I had a stricture at 5 weeks out, so not only did I have the camera, I had a balloon to dialate my stoma so I could eat and drink again.  Try not to worry about "what may happen" and focus on things as they come.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

northernlight
on 4/24/11 2:26 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi Karen - thanks for your response and for letting me know that the endoscopies were not too bad for you - that's reassuring to hear. I'm not sure what a "stricture" is, but it sounds like the doctors got you fixed up pretty quickly, thank goodness!

You've got a point and I am going to try to focus more on taking things as they come, just as I learned to do when I quit smoking.  I learned then not to worry about what will happen six months down the road, just take it one day at a time. I guess that I'd better learn to put that into practice when it comes to WLS.....

Deb

Karen M.
on 4/24/11 2:30 am, edited 4/24/11 2:32 am - Mississauga, Canada
A stricture is when your stoma closes up - I just called myself an "over-achiever-healer". lol  It can happen with the RNY - easily fixed, miserable while it exists. If you're so inclined, do a Google search, or even a search on here to learn more about it.

P.S.  Quitting smoking is pure evil hell.  I've done it several times. haha

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics