Diagnosed with Diabetes! - What's Next?! Arrggghhh!

northernlight
on 6/11/11 12:17 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Just have to vent a bit! I saw my doctor yesterday for the results of my Upper GI (good news - no hernia; just mild acid reflux) and no scope needed, but the results of the 2 hour Glucose Tolerance test showed that I have Diabetes. She said that I'm just over the borderline and it's not severe but I need to have more detailed blood & urine tests done.  I'm so darn tired of being diagnosed with one thing after another - I just want to shout, "Enough already !!!!!".  I'm trying to look at the bright side and I'm thinking that, as terrible as it sounds, maybe this will help me to be approved for surgery by giving me another co-morbidity (like I needed any more). What do you think? (I don't have any reason to think that I won't be approved - I guess that I'm just afraid to hope too mu*****ase I jinx myself - guess I'm superstitious).  I see Dr Cheung at the bariatric center next Wednesday & I think that's when I find out the answer as I'm done all my tests now - I just have my meeting with the dietician & my 2nd meeting with the SW.

Deb

Quinns_mommy
on 6/11/11 12:23 pm
Hi Deb. I am sorry to hear about this new diagnosis of diabetes. This is a MAJOR issue in my family and one of the reasons why I decided that surgery was right for me. Just take care of yourself and keep things in check leading up to surgery time. I am confident all things will work out and you'll be on the bench in no time.

As for feeling like you wont be approved, I think we have all dealt with that at one point or another pre-op. Keep your chin up, we are all in the stands rooting for you!

*hugs*

My angels are sam1am and Joyce J. :)  
northernlight
on 6/11/11 1:30 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks Rebecca for the vote of confidence.  It helps to know that you're rooting for me! My husband has been a diabetic for quite a few years so I know  how serious it can be. I hope that my doctor is right and the surgery gets rid of it.

Deb

on_my_way2011
on 6/11/11 12:24 pm - Canada
It sure is frustrating, isn't it?  I thought losing 80 pounds would make my health so much better, but I am on more meds now than I was at my highest weight!

Just think about how great it will be to check off all the health problems that are gone after the surgery!

Tracy

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

northernlight
on 6/11/11 1:34 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Oh Tracy, I can just imagine how frustrated you must feel. You're right - if I lost that much weight I would be so disappointed to still be on meds. Just remember that you're taking steps to put an end to all that finally, so just continue to hang in there and hold on to a sense of humour - it sure helps to be able to laugh at things instead of cry! Your time is coming!

Deb

Leslie W.
on 6/11/11 12:50 pm - Cobourg, Canada
Sorry to hear about the Diabetes. It should be short lived though once you have surgery. I would think that as longs as your heart/lungs/kidneys are good then haveing a slight elevation wont stop your surgery. Maybe they will just get you in quicker.

Good luck wednesday

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
northernlight
on 6/11/11 1:37 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Thanks Leslie - my doctor is pretty sure that the diabetes will go away once I have WLS, so I hope she's right. I have gotten an excellent report on the health of my heart, my lungs and my kidneys so there are no issues with them at all.  Thanks for the good wishes for Wednesday.

Deb

Manda M.
on 6/11/11 1:12 pm
I am in the same boat! I have been told i have Diabetes, High blood pressure, H-pylori and sleep apnea! But there is a end in sight I promise you. After all those test results I am just being treated for the high blood pressure and was only given a 3 month supply leading up to my surgery.
http://pouchgirlrny.blogspot.com  -- My thoughts and experience so far post RNY!!

northernlight
on 6/11/11 1:42 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Boy, we're so alike except that instead of H-pylori, I have Spinal Stenosis & 2 degenerating discs in my back, which are made worse by the excess weight.  The doctors must be awfully confident that you won't need your BP meds after surgery - doesn't that make you feel so great? I'm really happy for you - you can actually see a light at the end of your tunnel !!!!!

Deb

Sheritk
on 6/11/11 1:35 pm - Canada
 Hi,    Just wanted to make you feel a bit better...I too had diabetes, had only been on medication for a couple of years before surgery but I have to tell you that since optifast my diabetes was gone! No more meds...high blood pressure is gone too. Have faith all will get better, you will be approved and will have surgery. I didn't believe it was going to happen for me either. Not until I was on the table...I think that is a normal feeling. It won't be long now and you will be posting how much better you feel. Wishing you all the best.....

Sheri
  Cheryl M is my   aka...chermull6

Most Active
Recent Topics