Does This Dish Look Nutritionally Good??

justine08
on 12/10/11 5:23 am
I Find That When I Start To Get Bored With Food, That Is When I Start To Get Off Track. So I Have Been Playing Around In The Kitchen (Something I Never Used To Really Do) And I Made This Bean Salad That I Really Like.

It Has:
Chickpeas
Red Kidney Beans
Navy Beans
Red Peppers
Light Feta Cheese

Does That Seem Healthy??
Moselle
on 12/10/11 6:01 am - Athens, Canada
Lots of protein which is definitely good for you.  What are you using for dressing? Oil & Vinegar?
justine08
on 12/10/11 7:03 am
I Did Not Want To Use Oil Because Of The Fat. I Used A Vinagrette That Has NO Calories, Fat Or Sugar. It Is Made Of Water, Vinegar, Lemon Juice, Garlic and Salt.
JennR
on 12/10/11 8:35 am
Beans can have a lot of carbs though, not sure which ones are the best. Check out one of those recipe sites that will calculate the nutritional values.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp

msheavyhearted
on 12/10/11 8:38 am - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
I'm still pre-op but I'm wondering if perhaps you're being too strict with yourself. Isn't it ok to have some "good" fats as part of our regular diet as long as your pouch tolerates it? I'm not suggesting to drown the salad in loads of high cal dressing but I think I'd do a little homemade vinaigrette (perhaps white wine vinegar and some olive oil and a dash of grainy mustard to help it hold together.) I'm not sure how much you're eating at a time but even if we assume 1/2 cup of salad, a tsp, of olive oil to 2 tsp of vinegar would be plenty. It would only add 40 calories to the total.

It certainly sounds delicious. Perhaps I'll make some for myself tomorrow!
Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

Monica M.
on 12/10/11 2:17 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
Yes, you're right. Good fats need to be part of your diet. And, post op, realistically, you wont be eating a lot of it anyway, so its really not that bad to include some healthy fats, like olive oil, in a bean salad like that.

Make me some too?
lol

Mon

Patti K.
on 12/10/11 8:51 am - Kingston On, Canada
Justine...I live on bean salad in the summer!!  I always use green/yellow wax beans, red, white kidney beans, navy beans, black beans, romano beans, if I can find soy I add them too!!...I also add red or green pepper, and onion...my dressing always consists of canola oil, splenda and white vinegar....p.s.  my chili contains this many beans as well except for the waxed ones, and I've been adding chick peas too!!  seems healthy to me!!  Patti K.

Monica M.
on 12/10/11 2:12 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
it's ok to have some fat in things, i'd use the oil and vinegar dressing in, if i were you. sounds good, beans can be a bit ccarby, but sounds yummy.

justine08
on 12/10/11 10:24 pm
The Carbs Were Exactly The Reason I Was Doubting This Dish. Beans Are High In Carbs, But They Are Also High In Fibre. Don't You Subtract The Amount Of Fibre From The Carbs To Get The Real Total?? AHH Its SOO Confusing!!!
Andrew Thompson
on 12/11/11 7:47 am - Canada
It's an excellent source of both protein and fibre.

To calculate the net carb effect you take the carb value and minus the number of fibre.

A cup of kidney beans are 225 calories with 15 grams of protein and 40 grams of total carg. With 11 g of fibre the total carb effect is 30g of carbs. That's an excellent meal: especially if you're diabetic. (fibre doesn't cause a diabetic reaction)

Beans, beans, they're good for your heart
The more you eat, the more you fart
The more you fart, the more you eat
The more you sit on the toilet seat

Before the surgery I kept putting things off. I was never good enough. One of the benefits of WLS is that you start to believe in yourself. Check out my blog:
All Things CPAP

Most Active
Recent Topics