Birth control?

hjb
on 4/3/12 12:54 pm
Alright, So I know all doctors tell you to be on 2 forms of birth control. Which methods do you find are best after surgery? I was on Yaz pills but came off them because I heard they were REALLY bad for you. And I kept forgetting to take them on time anyway. Suggestions?
HRBypass
on 4/3/12 1:46 pm
I switched from the pills to the Ortho Evra patch, because my body wasn't absorbing the pills properly anymore. The patch is only effective under a certain weight, to my understanding, so that's always something to keep in mind. I love it though, so easy to use and I don't need to worry about taking a pill at the same time every day.
Amanda     I 1.5 Years Out     180+lbs Lost     Goal Reached +!  I
msheavyhearted
on 4/3/12 7:55 pm - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
100%, absolutely, without a doubt.... give the Mirena IUD a shot. I got mine in September in preparation for my RNY. No need for a back-up plan, either. The Mirena is more than 99% effective and because the hormones it releases act solely on the internal aspect of your uterus, no need to worry about whether or not you are absorbing enough hormone like you would with the pill or a patch. Only a very small portion of the hormone ever gets into your blood stream.

The pros:

* Starts working pretty much immediately. I think my doctor recommended a back up method for a couple of weeks.

* Even more effective than the pill for preventing pregnancy

* Many women have a decrease in the amount/frequency of their period - some even stop completely

* Good for 5 years

* If you do decide you want to get pregnant you can start trying immediately after removing the IUD.

The cons:

* It hurts like hell to get it placed. Well, at least it did for me. Most women say it's "uncomfortable" but my cervix was especially tight so it felt like labour all over again. That being said, I still plan on getting another one in five years once this one has reached it expiry.

* Some women spot or have irregular bleeding. This is most common for the first three months. I bled, albeit VERY lightly, for about the first 6 weeks. My period is now essentially non-existent.

* Some women report an increase in severity or frequency of migraines. This didn't happen to me.

* It's costly (~$400) and isn't covered by most drug plans. Even at that price, it works out to about $6/month over its lifetime. I got my boyfriend to pay for it since he refused the vasectomy.

I suggest talking to your health care provide to see if you're a good candidate for the MIrena. I love having a birth control method I never have to think about.

Thea

Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

350Ann180
on 4/3/12 9:26 pm - St. Williams, Canada
VSG on 05/02/12
I agree with the Mirena IUD - even though they have trouble inserting it for me - I am on my second one and wouldn't change a thing.  It has so many pros as listed above - you will love it!

NorthernStar
on 4/3/12 9:56 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
I use the Nuva Ring and love it. There's no issue with absorption because you don't swallow it. It has the same effectiveness as the pill (99%) but actually can be more effective for many people because it is so easy to use perfectly, whereas it's harder to take the pill perfectly (on time, the exact same time, every day).

I did want the IUD but my doctor is not a fan of it for me because I've never had children and there is a possibility of scarring during insertion or when they take it out.

I had all kinds of side effects on the many different pills I took but nothing with the Nuva Ring. I only think about it once a month. To be honest, even with the Nuva Ring we are still using a backup method (condoms) because I'm being super careful because I'm so close to surgery now
Hanneli xoxo
on 4/3/12 10:43 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

I am still pre op but I suspect nothing will change in the near future (I've been single for 20 years :( ) But I use abstinence LOL (NOT by choice, I just figured I would add my humourous 2 cents worth)

I have not been on birth control for many years. I was on it for about 10 years for nothing. and at the time I was a smoker and when I hit 30 I went off the pill because of the increased risks of over 30 and being a smoker at the time and not sexually active.

I will be watching this thread closely since we are told at our assessment center that we need to be on 2 forms for 2 years after surgery. I need to educate myself with whatis out there now!

avivaps
on 4/3/12 11:32 pm
RNY on 02/28/12
I have the mirena and am very happy with it.  Insertion was uncomfortable but not painful.  Removal is much easier and takes seconds in the office. The other pros and cons have been very well outlined.

The only consideration with the nuvaring is (I believe) there can be some decreased efficacy in women who are very obese and you might want to discuss this with your doctor.

Hopefully you will find something that works well for you.

Andrea.

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

NorthernStar
on 4/4/12 1:34 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
Just to comment on the efficacy for overweight women - it's not NuvaRing that is less effective. The pill is generally considered to become slightly less effective for every 10 lbs you weight over 150. To my knowledge it's not been clearly established for NuvaRing but obviously they offer a standard dose of hormone and larger women may need more hormone to produce the same effect.

When you factor in that you can use the ring perfectly, it's still often more effective for most women. Something to think about if you want a hormonal BC but can't choose something more long term like an IUD.
Most Active
Recent Topics