Weight Gain - TOTAL frustration!!!

laura S.
on 4/18/12 9:46 pm - London, Canada
Over the past 6 weeks or so  I've been struggling a bit.   I went on vacation at the beginning of March and gained 3 pounds.  I lost it within a week of being back and was doing ok.  Got down to 220.0 a few weeks ago and was really excited to get under 220. 

Then for some reason I went on an eating kick for a week. I was horrible and out of control and it scared the crap out of me... I went up 3.4 pounds.  Finally on the Saturday night I gave myself a mental kick in the pants and decided to get back to basics.  Limit the carbs, get in the protein and water and do more than just my walking (which I've done all the way through).  This past week and a half (9 or 10 days) I've been going to the gym and working out like crazy.  Aquafit every other day... walking for at least a half hour during my lunches through the week.. Biking 5 miles every morning.. and using the weight machines at least every other day as well.   I've been eating pretty well, but maybe a bit more than usual because of working out so much - between 1000 and 1200 calories per day.  I was out of protein shakes for the past week and a half, so my protein is a bit lower - it is damn hard to get in the right amount without the shakes. Makes the calorie intake go higher just to get in at least 70g of protein!!! MyPlate shows my percentages to be in the following ranges 30-35% carbs, 25-30% protein and 30-40% fats.  

I got on the scale today to see how I'm doing, and was not a happy camper.  I am up 3.5 pounds from when I started my exercise kick, and up 5 pounds from my lowest a few weeks ago.  I know that working out so much is going to build muscle, but 5 POUNDS????  What am I doing wrong???  I also just got my period on Monday, but normally I drop down a few pounds the morning I get it.  That obviusly didn't happen this time though!

I'm totally frustrated here and hoping that now that I've got my protein shakes back and my calorie intake can get back in the 900 calorie range, that will help.  I also am hoping that someone out there can tell me that they went through this too!  Am I working out too much?  Never thought I'd wonder that about me!

Any advice appreciated!

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/12 10:06 pm - Canada
The weight gain after kicking up exercise is water weight. Your muscles ge****er logged especially if you're lifting weights. It's the only way they can repair themselves. It'll take a while for your body to adjust. You know that there is NO way you ate enough to gain 5lbs of fat. You would have to have consumed 17,500 calories IN ADDITION TO your maintenance calories.

Nobody knows better than everyone here on this board how frustrating weight gain can be.

Hugs. Keep doing what your doing. Stay on track. Exercise. Drink tha****er.
Joyce J.
on 4/18/12 10:15 pm - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there

Just keep doing all the right things you know you should do. You are doing great.
It is so hard once you fall off that wagon, but you have to get back on.
Focus on water and protien and don't worry so much about the number. Check your measurements. You may find they are different even when your weight doesn't change

Keep posting here, and write down everything that goes into your mouth.
You can do it
Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Dianadcr
on 4/18/12 10:25 pm - Canada
Joyce is right. Check your measurements. I started back at the gym 3 weeks ago. I didn't gain but didn't lose for three weeks. However, my clothes are getting loose.it's hard, but we can't let the scale dictate our lives. You are on track, give your body a chance to adjust. I am impressed by all your activity.
  Diana

Gabygee
on 4/18/12 10:33 pm - Canada
My recommendation?
Start journalling EVERYTHING that you intend to eat today. And continue tomorrow.
It will point out the differences between your plan (and your imagined goal for food) and the reality.
Your portion control may be out of whack (I know I am guilty of this) or your water intake may be too low ... getting back to the basics (60 g protein/day, no more than 10 g sugar + 10 g fat per meal etc.) will also help.

ToNewBeginnings
on 4/18/12 10:32 pm
hmmm..I'm wondering about the caloric intake. BUT I don't know what the range you should be eating at is?
I'm 19 months out, I 'm eating about 1250 cals or so a day but I'm not doing any exercise besides the occasional gardening. I don't know Laura, should  you be eating more? I guess you'll have to experiment with that a bit. Or maybe your turning into a muscle machine!

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/12 10:48 pm - Canada
Okay..I just HAD to post here again.

I weighed myself - 267. Thats UP 3lbs since yesterday!! Frustrating?? Yes. But I know it's not fat. I know it's water. I upped my weights this week at the gym and that's gonna cause the dreaded water retention.

I had a goal of -100lbs by my birthday. It's this Sunday. Ain't gonna happen.
HaroldC
on 4/18/12 10:52 pm - Canada
Sounds like you are doing everything right.

You might be doing too much exercise and eating too few calories.

The body is protecting itself.
Give it some time and I am sure everything will balance out.

Good for you for what you have a accomplished and for recognizing the need to get back to basics!

You will succeed.
Harold

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

slim115
on 4/18/12 10:57 pm - peterborough, Canada
Your Shameful Wagon Jumping Episode Is Over

Now Forgive Yourself and Move on...
Oh Guess what .....you already did...you are just hypersensitive after your brief fall...
it will come back off....just get your protein up and dont overdo it...
Chin Up Sister...You are doing Great!!!!
Aaaaand you are getting Buff!!! Dead Sexy!

Cheers,

Spence
Opti Weight-386lbs.............Surgery Weight- 355 lbs...........Goal Weight- 200lbs        
Karen M.
on 4/18/12 11:00 pm - Mississauga, Canada
It's your body teasing you for going on an eating kick for a week.

Laura, there's often no rhyme nor reason with the weight gain/loss pattern.  Sometimes, although it sucks, it just "is what it is".

You need more protein, by the way, and fewer carbs.

If you'd like to start a "kick the carbs to the curb" eating plan on Monday, let me know.  I'm thinking of doing the 5dpt (NO, it won't shrink my pouch LOL) to get my racing mind off the potato chips.  Lemme know.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics