the week after surgery

scorpioboy33
on 4/20/12 1:49 am
How much should I expect to be able to walk...I mean will I be well enough to take my kid to school........will I just have to lie around at home....?
thanks for your answers in advance
Karen M.
on 4/20/12 1:54 am - Mississauga, Canada
Depends really.  How far away is school?
The first week you're moving kinda slow, but moving nonetheless.  The walk would likely do you good actually!  AND.... while you will need naps etc, you should be walking as much as you can, even around the house.  Need to keep the blood circulating and get the gas from surgery out.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/12 2:10 am, edited 4/20/12 2:10 am - Canada
A week after surgery I was walking about 2K in the mornings - I was actually told this was too much too soon. I took naps in the afternoon because I REALLY needed them but I always started my day with a long walk.
msheavyhearted
on 4/20/12 2:36 am - Marathon, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/02/12

"Just lying around" isn't advisable. While you won't be running marathons you should be aiming to be moving around as it helps with healing and in the prevention of blood clots.

I was well enough on the third day post op to walk around the malls for a few hours at a time. I moved slowly and I took breaks but I tolerated it well. If your children's school is within a Km or so you are likely to be fine. Listen to your body. It will tell you how much is too much.

I had lots of naps the first two weeks post op, too. Remember to rest when you need to.

Want to join the CRAZY TransCanada Challenge?? Just message me. Here's a link to the rules: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4570778/REPOST-The-CRAZY-TransCanada-Challenge-Rules/

Dianadcr
on 4/20/12 5:39 am - Canada
The day after I came home from the hospital I went for a half hour walk with my husband and continued to do that for a week. Two weeks later, I was walking on my own for 45 minutes. Granted, I was usually tired after that. It felt good nonetheless. Good luck, just go by your gut instinct.
  Diana

Most Active
Recent Topics