Told not to lose more weight??

Tina72
on 11/16/12 7:05 am

Today I had a 9 month appt with the nurse.  She was concerned that I should not lose any more weight and maybe gain some back.  I tried to explain my reasoning about the possible bounceback regain later, but she wants me to see the dietician next week and come back to her in one month for another checkup.

My BMI is at 22 or 23, so it's not like I am at a low weight.  I just don't think I agree with her.

Has anyone else been told they should stop losing?  and did you follow that advice?  (I am eating healthy and feel my body will stop (and bounceback) when it is ready

Thanks for you ideas

Tina

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/12 7:25 am - Straford, Canada

what were her reasons for you not to loose more (or gain back)?  Why don't you believe her?  which bariatric center did your wls? 

Tina72
on 11/16/12 7:59 am

I went through Ottawa.  I agree with the nurse that I don't need to lose more, I just don't think I should up my calories to try to stop it at this point.  (And thinking about it--she never really said to increase calories either)

I lost 20 pounds in the three months between my 6 month and 9 month appointment and I think she believes that was too fast for me.  (I'm sure the next three months will not yield the same results and her concerns will be gone)

Probably making a mountain out of a molehill--just never had anyone tell me to not lose weight before LOL

Moselle
on 11/16/12 8:09 am - Athens, Canada

You didn't say how tall you are or how much you weigh but it truly is a personal choice.

I also had surgery in Ottawa and at my 1 year appt the APN did tell me that she thought I shouldn't lose anymore weight.  I'm 5'6" and weigh between 130 -135 lbs at 50 years young. I agreed that I had lost enough and had already started to adjust my calories and exercise so that I could maintain. When I asked about the weight she told me to remember that I was also sporting at least another approx 10 lbs in excess skin so I should be factoring that into my weight.  I'm happily maintaining in the 132-135 range and I'm 23 months out.  My husband and some others think I have lost too much because my shoulders etc appear boney. Mostly I think it's just because they aren't used to seeing my bones. 

I feel great and hope I'm able to continue to maintain my weight. It's your body and you need to figure out where you need to be. Just make sure that you aren't obsessing about being skinny; strive for healthy instead.

All the best. Muriel

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." -Robert Collier
Join Kingston Ontario WLS Support Group - Online @ OH 

HW: 267         SW: 248       GW:155       LW: 132      CW: 143-148      

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/12 8:20 am - Straford, Canada

As Muriel says, she feels great and I would recommend you let that be your guide as long as you're listening to your body.  I would meet with the NUT as she's recommending and have a frank discussion with them about your feelings/concerns.  And have them lay out why they disagree if they do, then weigh your options (pun intended) and decide from there.  Just my opinion.  kiss

slrm2m2
on 11/16/12 8:32 am - Canada

I was told not to lose more weight by the dietiican and I agreed.  My BMI is 19.8...and anything under 18 is considered an underweight BMI.  I was told to increase my calories and I did and I still continued to lose.  I kept raising my calories until my body stopped losing.  I have maintained in the 146-140 range for the last 3 months.  My weight tends to bounce around by 6 lbs and I eat between 1800 and 2000 calories a day.  I'll be 10 months out this Sunday and its actually quite hard to eat that many calories at this point.  I eat 6 times a day do rely heavily on protein bars, nuts and fruit to keep my calorie level high.   I did not radically change my eating habits and keep my core meals much the same as I did during the losing phase, just with a bit more quanitity and some additional fats and carbs.  I figure I will adjust my meals if I start to see regain.  I also weigh pretty much every day.  Meal plannig, tracking and daily weighing are going to be my tools against regain.  I simply did not want to slip into the 130s at my height, 5'11, since I do feel like I look skinny enough and an underweight BMI is unhealthy, too.

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

sam1am
on 11/16/12 10:27 am

I would say to go with your gut feeling.  If you get down to an unhealthy bmi, then adjust.  Congratulations!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

ShallowGirl
on 11/16/12 11:36 am, edited 11/16/12 11:38 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

As long as your BMI is over 18, it's your business what you weigh.  You control your own ship.  You don't HAVE to follow up with the nurse or dietician.  People can decline any treatment.  You did your 9 month, just go back for the 12 month.  See what happens in 3 months.

Your body and your weight belong to you.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Cuter_w_Curves
on 11/16/12 2:00 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13
On November 16, 2012 at 7:36 PM Pacific Time, ShallowGirl wrote:

As long as your BMI is over 18, it's your business what you weigh.  You control your own ship.  You don't HAVE to follow up with the nurse or dietician.  People can decline any treatment.  You did your 9 month, just go back for the 12 month.  See what happens in 3 months.

Your body and your weight belong to you.

Why are you telling someone to not attend appointments they are booking for her?

*sigh*

Why am I the only one saying this to you?

PLEASE ATTEND ALL CLINIC APPOINTMENTS THEY BOOK FOR YOU OR FOLLOW UP WITH A PHYSICIAN WHO IS RELEVANT TO YOUR FILE, AND YOUR MEDICAL CIR****TANCES.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

ShallowGirl
on 11/17/12 5:05 am, edited 11/17/12 5:09 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
Most Active
Recent Topics