bad news for me

highlandbear
on 1/28/15 10:58 am - Canada

I am a marathon runner and my last race I had some real issues with my knee and I have a great doctor friend that has been kind to look at it for me.

We did a MRI on it and today I found out the worst news and it was hard for him to tell me. I have a tear behind the knee that will not fix itself. He is a runner also and I know it was hard for him to tell me this but it would be best not to do marathon runs anymore. I can do half but not the full. I told him I want to do one more and he said it was up to me. He does not think I would make it without pain and the pain could be worse. He does not recommend surgery yet because of were it is surgery on it would not be great.

I am doing around the Bay and I just have to hope that the knee will hold up for it. With this tear i have some bone on bone which is not a good thing. I am grateful for him to look after me and find out what is wrong but I just wi**** was better news.  I am hurting so bad right now because I still want to run marathons and I was hoping to do two of them this year. I will keep running and doing half marathons. Just down right now and needed to share instead of turning to food

H. Kontozis
on 1/28/15 11:29 am

highlandbear,

My name is Heather and you do not know me as I have not been on the board everyday for a few years now. I have popped in and out over the past 2 or 3 years but that's about it.

I would just like to say that I am so sorry to hear about your knee and that it is keeping you away from something that you truly love.  However, on a more positive note I would like to say congratulations on turning to the board for support instead of food.  That is a great achievement and you should be extremely proud of yourself for doing that. Not everyone can even after WLS surgery.

Keep your chin held high and follow your doctors advise and seeing the strength you have shown will continue to get you through any rough times ahead!  Lots of hugs to you,

Heather

betony63
on 1/28/15 2:10 pm

Hi highlandbear,

I'm so sorry to hear this- I can feel the grief in your message. I hope you will be able to find another activity you can feel passionate about.

GUELPH. Referral: Dec 6/13. Orientation: Mar 6/14, Post-op Diet Class: Sept 22/14, Meeting with Surgeon: Dec 2/14, Surgery: Jan 22/15

Karen M.
on 1/28/15 6:58 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Not great news for you at all, Barb, I'm really sorry to hear that and I know how disappointed and discouraged you must feel. I know you have a love for running - it may be the opportunity to find another fitness passion that wouldn't be so hard on your knees. I understand how running has become "part of who you are as a person", but you are so much more than "just a runner". xo

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

highlandbear
on 1/28/15 8:14 pm - Canada

I will not give up  the running I am just not ready. He knows I have a goal in 2 years to do a half iron man and he said I could do it. It is the marathon 42k which is just to much for the knee. The sad part is I love that distance. My mind and heart is saying just one more but I just think of the pain I was in when I did the last one and I don't know if I could handle that pain again. I am waiting to hear back from him if i did one more what could happen to the knee. I don't want to make it so I can not run at all. He is a good friend so he will be honest with me. He has already said if it needs to be operated on he would not do it because of the friendship he would get one of his partners to do it

Karen M.
on 1/28/15 8:38 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Well, you'll make the call (decision) of whether to keep running and possibly injure your knee further or not. The risk of increased pain and possibly diminishing my mobility further would certainly come into play in my decision making. But, I'm not a runner and I do know how passionate serious runners are about their sport. Good luck to you.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

highlandbear
on 1/29/15 6:32 am - Canada

He said i can run just no marathon and that is the distance i love. he said half is ok. marathon is just to long. As one person said today if you do two half this summer you have done your full lol

NorthernStar
on 1/28/15 8:07 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I'm sorry to hear that. That is such a bummer. You really enjoy running and I love reading your posts about the races you complete. Take care of yourself!

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Zizzler
on 1/28/15 9:48 pm

Sorry to hear about your knee, I know it sucks to have to stop doing a physical activity that you love. Have you ever done water jogging?  Would that be an option in your case? I did it after I injured my knee and it was the only vigorous exercise I was capable of doing for a long time.  I have also heard some clubs have actual water treadmills to run on if you prefer. I know we have a water gym here in ottawa that has bicycles, treadmills etc all in water. Might be worth looking into. Are there any other sports or types of exercise that have interested you in the past that you could use to substitute?  Take care of yourself, be extra nice to yourself, it will be ok, give it some time.

Kittykatt1329
on 1/29/15 7:17 am - Alfred, Canada

Hey zizzler

I would love to go to one of these. I only know of the one in Bells Corners, and I live about 40 min past Orleans so little out of my way. Do you know if there are any others. 

Cathy 

Most Active
Recent Topics