Feeling Full and Cravings

Smoka
on 4/28/17 6:00 pm
RNY on 09/12/17

Hi,

So after reading a few posts over the past few days, I have noticed that many people post surgery have said that they don't really feel full and that they still crave food. So, for those of you post surgery, what then is the real difference between having had the surgery and this just being another diet. Don't get me wrong, I am not doubting the effectiveness of surgery. I just want to understand how and what I will be feeling post op and what to prepare for.

Thanks,

Barb

Starnaenae
on 4/29/17 3:48 am

When i say i havent experienced fullness its that ive not felt restriction that everyone speaks about. I measure everytging and i dont overeat. I dont think i could eat more than 1 cup if i tried as i am SATISFIED after 3/4 of a cup. The effectiveness of this is PHYSICALLY I CANNOT EAT A LOT AND I CANNOT MAKE BAD CHOICES IN FOOD OR I WILL SUFFER AND ITS NOT WORTH IT. I am seeing results and i feel great. Its been more than a week and i havent wanted to give up

lots of differences and i have every confidence that although i dont feel full this was the right decision and its very effective for me

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

Smoka
on 4/30/17 6:07 am
RNY on 09/12/17

Thanks for the information! I am beginning to understand now that it is all about choice! Thanks so much.

Barb

crqvingchange
on 4/29/17 5:54 am

Hi Barb, to answer your question, I can only give my experiences and observations over almost 3 years. The surgery is only a tool. You have heard that before, but some people don't really let that sink in. You still have to do all the work that you would on a diet if you want to be successful. The surgery doesn't fix your head, and after a while post-op chocolate may start looking good, fries, etc. all the things that got you to being obese you will crave. When newly post-op you can not eat much, you are malabsorbing calories if you had the RNY, but after what we call the honeymoon period, you can eat more, your body starts absorbing more of the calories and your metabolism slows down (the last happens with any weight loss - read the Biggest Loser study). In the beginning you can eat just about anything and lose weight, but you will never hit your weight goal and you will not be able to maintain any loss unless you change your eating and activity.

The surgery works, but how much you lose and how long it takes, and to avoid regain, that all depends on you. I feel very sad (not angry) when I read people giving themselves permission to have this treat or this food because it is a special occasion, because they are bored with their menu, because they felt pressured in a social situation. The honeymoon period is short, and losing weight after that is extremely difficult, so wasting any opportunity during that period will only keep you from being that healthy person you want to be. You don't go into this surgery lightly, it is a last resort.

As for feeling full, it's a different feeling than before surgery. If you eat too much you may get signals that you have overdone it. These can include hiccups, sneezing, food backing up into your throat, pain. You should rely on the volume of your servings rather than a feeling of full. After a while it gets easier.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Daisydoo02
on 4/29/17 10:31 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

THIS IS AN AMAZING ANSWER CC! I love how you said this and agree 100% with all that you said. I hope that lots of pre ops and new post ops read this and let it "sink in."

This "tool" is amazing but its work 24/7. Thanks for taking the time to post and tell the "real story" behind all this. Great post!

Daisy

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Smoka
on 4/30/17 6:11 am
RNY on 09/12/17

Thanks so much. I know now that it will be "a way of life". I am beginning to be ok with that and find myself excited about the whole experience. Trials there will be, but I have had to work so hard in my life already for so many other things. I just need to change my mindset about food and I know I can do it...especially with support. Thanks.

Barb

Smoka
on 11/7/17 4:55 am
RNY on 09/12/17

Hi crvingchange,

Just reading through some of my past posts to see where I was at before surgery. It's enlightening!

I love the response to this post that you gave me months ago. It's the real deal and I know that now that I have had surgery.

Thanks so much for the time, thought, and clarity you put into replying to this post. It's a keeper.

Barb

Referred May 2016, Orientation July 4, 2016, Pre-Nutrition Class March 31, 2017, Nurse April 10, 2017, Blood work/ECG April 13, 2017, Ultra-sound April 27, 2017, Psychologist May 30, 2017, Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy June 5, 2017, Internist June 13, 2017, Dietician June 14, 2017, 2nd Round of blood work August 2, 2017, Surgeon September 6, 2017, Surgery September 12, 2017 - St. Joe's Hamilton - No Opti

Height 5"4" HW 231 SW222 CW141

PreOp-9 lbs M1-20lbs M2-11lbs M3-13lbs M4-7lbs M5-8lbs M6-7lbs M7-5lbs M8-5lbs M9-2lbs M10-0lbs M11 - 0lbs M12 - 0lbs

crqvingchange
on 11/7/17 8:24 am

Your welcome Smoka. Call me C.C. All my friends do.

Hope you are doing well. If you ever have questions or need support we are here for you. Join us on the What Are You Eating Thread. We are a fun group who understand all too well the struggles that post WLS peeps face daily.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Smoka
on 11/9/17 4:18 am
RNY on 09/12/17

Hi C.C.,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am doing very well. I use to post on the "What Are You Eating Thread", back in the spring for a few months when I was pre-op. I am getting use to writing everything down on a schedule the I have on my fridge now. (I'm old school!). But, I may join you later on when I need to switch things up. For now, my system is working though. I do read it occasionally though for inspiration. I hope you are doing well too.

Barb

Referred May 2016, Orientation July 4, 2016, Pre-Nutrition Class March 31, 2017, Nurse April 10, 2017, Blood work/ECG April 13, 2017, Ultra-sound April 27, 2017, Psychologist May 30, 2017, Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy June 5, 2017, Internist June 13, 2017, Dietician June 14, 2017, 2nd Round of blood work August 2, 2017, Surgeon September 6, 2017, Surgery September 12, 2017 - St. Joe's Hamilton - No Opti

Height 5"4" HW 231 SW222 CW141

PreOp-9 lbs M1-20lbs M2-11lbs M3-13lbs M4-7lbs M5-8lbs M6-7lbs M7-5lbs M8-5lbs M9-2lbs M10-0lbs M11 - 0lbs M12 - 0lbs

Simplyb
on 4/29/17 7:43 am
RNY on 04/12/17

Hi Barb

This may ramble but it is what I am learning for myself these first few weeks.

The pouch is a tool, unfortunately it does nothing for our head.

The head is the component that we need to work on for ourselves while the tool helps with the weight loss through malabsorption and as the back fat rolls disappear and the cheekbones emerge the head takes note. It is what keeps us motivated, hopeful and determined to keep moving forward.

Cravings, are really just stupid thoughts (aka head hunger) that I am learning to control. For example:

I have noticed myself looking at items that I should not have, and thinking - who would know? Of course, the answer is me, I am doing this for me I don't need or really want it.

I sometimes think that I have deprived myself for a long time now, existing on Opti, then clear fluids, then protein drinks. I want a reward. I rephrase that reward as a thinner me. That is not deprivation, it is a concscious choice.

I went to the movies, the candy wrappers, the popcorn, it all drove me nuts but I sipped my way through and kept reminding myself mindless eating was just that - mindless and not worth it.

I get bored, I think food - I takes some sips of water and find something to do, a walk, clean, read...

The feeling or lack of fullness, I guess I just expected to feel something with a reduced size stomach. I wrongly assumed this was the tool people talked about on this forum, until today that is. Today, I felt full and it is the most awful feeling.

Graphic content ahead: I am starting puréed food and today on my fourth teaspoon of egg whites, I suddenly felt this intense pain in the center of my chest, I broke into a cold sweat, I was belching, walking, pacing, running my wrists under cold water, spitting up foam, clear fluid and eventually I threw up some of the egg. The pain is still there 2 hours later and feels like bad acid reflux. It comes in waves so I have some respite. I have continued to throw up small amounts of foam and clear fluids and most of the egg. I actually started getting ready to go to the hospital before throwing up. So it is back to the head to take control over my food intake - slow, slow, slow, chew more, more, more and respect the pouch.

Ultimately it is another diet. The control is still in the head not the stomach. I wish they had done brain surgery. But That said, have never lost like this before and it is motivating, envigorating, exhilarating - I am excited to keep going, there is no return once this journey has started it is just what you make of it in your head.

On a positive note and head space victory - I saw my family physician the other day and I let him weigh me (I still do not want to know the number) but he said the last time I weighed this amount it was 2012, wow!

I hope this rambling, helps in some way to understand the feelings and thoughts and self-coaching required for me to keep moving in the right direction.

Simply B

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics