Epidural before surgery?

LouLou4
on 4/15/12 9:10 pm
Morning all

I have my surgery in two days and i'm surprisingly calm but I do have two issues. I'm going to raise them tomorrow when I go for my pre-op fragmin injections but was wondering if anyone had a similar experience?

Before I go down to surgery I have to have an epidural inserted so that when I come round my pain meds can be administered this way for the first 4/5 days. Is this common practice? I mentioned it to the nurse at my pre-op assessment and she said it was nothing to worry about but since i've never had an epidural before i'm starting to panic about how much this is going to hurt? Can they not do the epidural once i'm under?

And speaking of being under I have the lovely experience of having a cathetar fitted (also first time!) and i'm starting to freak out about this. Obviously going to the toilet after the op is going to be difficult but do you think it would be possible to ask if this can be foregone and try and go to the loo myself when i wake up and if needs be have one fitted later or do i just have to accept my fate? :(
Jessica A.
on 4/15/12 9:18 pm - Auburn, AL
An epidural is not common practice in the States.  I had one during child birth though and they were inserting it in the middle of me having a contraction and it wasn't that bad in my opinion.  It twinged a little but it was probably because I was trying to hold still while having a contraction which is nearly impossible and moved a little while they were in the middle of inserting it.

I did not have a catheter for my surgery.  I think it just depends on the surgeon.  I had no issues going to the bathroom with just some help getting out of bed and walking to the bathroom.

PMarie
on 4/15/12 9:54 pm - Bloomington, MN
 No experience with an epidural.  I did, however, have a catheter after my open RNY.  It was placed in the operating room after I was under anesthesia.  It was removed two days post op.

After my hernia repair two weeks ago, I was unable to 'go' after surgery, and was catheterized (one time only)-- it's no big deal, just a slight pressure, then done. 

lesserman
on 4/15/12 11:54 pm, edited 4/15/12 11:55 pm - Chicago, IL
I believe that I was advised that an epidural was a measure taken for those patients who either 

a) requested it; or

b) *****quired an open surgery because the laparoscopic option was no longer available

As far as the catheter is concerned, your apprehension is understandable, but not really necessary...first, you will be under before it is inserted. Second, in the first 24 hours post op you will be in no condition to stand up to walk to the bathroom to relieve yourself.  

In my case, it was removed the morning of the first day post-op and it wasn't at all painful...it just felt like some pressure being relieved.

Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

poet_kelly
on 4/16/12 2:22 am - OH
My catheter was removed about two hours after I got to my room.  I had no trouble walking to the bathroom to relieve myself and in fact, I think most docs have patients up and walking much sooner than 24 hours after surgery.  24 hours after surgery, I was actually on my way home.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

M M
on 4/16/12 12:19 am
 I want one now.

Damn.
WhoIWantToBe *.
on 4/16/12 12:25 am
RNY on 01/10/12
I didn't have an epidural before the gastric bypass, but I did have one for my hysterectomy.  I requested it because I was terrified of general anesthesia.  I've had to have general anesthesia since then and I've gotten over the fear, so I just went with it for the bypass.

I also had epidurals (and was so very, very thankful for them!) when all 3 of my kids were born.

Epidurals are wonderful things, and really not that painful. 

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

LouLou4
on 4/16/12 12:59 am
Thank you all for your responses. I think because its my first surgery i'm imagining the worst and everyone keeps saying the epidural and cathetar won't be as bad as I think they will be

Fingers crossed they're right!
poet_kelly
on 4/16/12 2:26 am - OH
I just asked them to remove the catheter after I was awake and before I got out of bed.  It makes sense to me to keep my bladder drained during and right after surgery but I don't see the point of keeping in a catheter once I'm able to get up and walk to the bathroom.  Having a catheter put in is a bit uncomfortable but they should do it after you are under anesthesia.  having it removed doesn't hurt.

I don't know about the epidural.  Why do theyw ant to administer pain meds that way instead of by IV?  And why for four or five days?  are you even going to be in the hospital that long?  Since so many people have epidurals during labor and childbirth, I assume they don't hurt too much to adminster.  I'm just wondering why it would be necessary or preferrable.  I personally prefer to avoid unnecessary procedures as much as possible - and epidurals do carry some risk.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LouLou4
on 4/16/12 5:06 am
I'm having the op open and they said this was the best way to administer the pain meds. The nurse I spoke with said that they keep you in up to a week post op to reduce the risk of complications which seems a little long to me based on most peoples experiences here but you can be released sooner if you make a quick recovery

Think i will be climbing the Walls if I'm there 7 days!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views