Update: Devastated

princessjess73
on 11/15/14 4:44 pm - Lees Summit, MO

I was worried something like this would happen when I had mine that I waited a decade for.  I was denied lap band and RNY at least 2x. I know it may not sound right but happens for a reason. Your surgeon may find much better alt or have to open. It is very hard to work through adhesions and another surgery would have increased the adhesions.  I have assisted many surgeries and he scar tissue is a fibrotic tightly woven spider web. Good luck!

OMGbeTHERE
on 11/16/14 3:38 am

Exactly! Try to keep positive! maybe your hubby can go for walks with you? Or check out some youtube workout videos and you guys can do them together in the living room. Support is key! Sweat Sweat Sweat!!!!

Jessie W.
on 11/14/14 11:57 am

I am so very sorry you had to go through this. I can only imagine your feeling of devastation. You have every right to be upset and angry. As already said though, please be good to yourself. Just because it seems one door has closed trust that there is a window opened somewhere. 

Roz4103
on 11/14/14 10:00 pm
RNY on 11/12/14 with

Thank you Jesse W.:

I know I should stop beating myself up, I am sure I will feel better next week,, but right now it is hard, I think of all the money I had to spend out of my own pocket to make this happen ($1200.00 dollars), for nothing.  The only thing positive happened was the fact that I lost 15 pounds.   You are right I do believe that something better is going to happen also.

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 11/14/14 12:30 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

Hi Roz,

Would a sleeve be possible instead? I know it wasn't your first choice. I too have a lot of adhesions and scar tissue caused from multiple abdomen surgeries. Due to all the scar tissue and adhesions I have.. the only possible WLS I am able to get is the sleeve. My surgeon explained the incisions made for the sleeve can be placed higher.. bypassing the scar tissue and adhesions. Once I lose the weight he'll go back in and repair the hernia and remove as much of everything else that he can.

Good luck on Monday!

Roz4103
on 11/14/14 10:06 pm
RNY on 11/12/14 with

Hi lxl_Miz_lxl:

It's funny you asked that question, that was the exact same question I asked in the mist of all my hysterics when I found out nothing was done.  His comment was NO...  Later on (the next day - after I had calmed down some) my husband stated that Dr. Halmi said the adhesion's was so thick and matted he could not cut them to even get to my stomach - he didn't know if he was cutting my intestines while trying to get to my stomach area.  He also stated that the mesh that was installed to repair the previous was embedded with scar tissue.  I hope he tells me something close to what your doctor has told you - it will definitely make things a lot better.

Thank you

NYMom222
on 11/14/14 1:26 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Being devastated is totally understandable. He probably couldn't give you a sleeve at the time because you hadn't signed releases for a sleeve, just the RNY. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Roz4103
on 11/14/14 10:10 pm
RNY on 11/12/14 with

WOW NYMom222:

I never thought of that after my husband told me what he explained to him...I will definitely ask him on Monday if he can do the sleeve.  When I first visited his office I asked for the VSG and he informed me that the RNY would be better because of the other issues I had (hernia and scar tissue).  So I am praying that he chose this course on Monday when I meet with him.

Thank you

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/14/14 2:42 pm - OH

Wow, I am so sorry.  I think ANYONE  in your situation would be upset!  I hope you will have an acceptable alternate plan in place after you see the surgeon again.

I had open RNY -- it was planned that way by my surgeon from the day of my initial consultation -- because of the potential for adhesions from a previous surgery and because I carried so much of my weight in my belly.  

I know that some surgeons only do lap RNY and flatly refuse to do an open surgery, even if the surgery could be done safely open, so I would recommend that you ask your surgeon what his position is on open surgery when you discuss your options.  If your current surgeon is one who just refuses to do open surgery on anyone, perhaps before you commit to a course of action with that surgeon you should get a copy of the operative report and have a consultation with another surgeon who mIght be willing to do an open surgery that would allow him/her to fix everything and do the RNY.

Pamper yourself a little this weekend.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Roz4103
on 11/14/14 10:29 pm
RNY on 11/12/14 with

Thank you Lora:

I will definitely take your advice and the suggestions from the other comments I have received and ask him about the open RNY.  It is funny - I never wanted the RNY, my choice was VSG - when I read previous postings/comments you've written to others, you stated that if you could do it over you would have opted for the VSG also.  

I understand that you will gain weight back with both (RNY and VSG) if you don't use this tool as a permanent change for life.  I accepted this challenge and made a commitment to do what was required to make it happen for me.   I wanted/planned to get my health, sexy and confidence back in regards to how I felt and looked inside and outside.  My husband and I are planning on taking a couple's cruise in June of 2015 with 7 other couples and I wanted this to be a special occasion for my husband and I, because he will be 65 years of age on November 28, 2014 and I put off taking a trip with him because of the surgery - so we planned to make up for it on the cruise next year.  I wanted him to think and feel like he was with a sexy young thing seeing that I will be 60 years old next year (even though I do not look like it).   But believe me..being over-weight does make you look older!

I am going to pray about this situation and see what he says on Monday and go from there........I really appreciate your advice.