had my (rny) last week so confused

brandy911200
on 3/2/15 8:52 am - Canada

Hi I have read the books and all that but for some reason I can drink more than it seems my pouch can hold am I stretching it maybe ?Also I still feel hungry  my usual day is 2 protein shakes with skim milk and q little oatmeal and a little bit of some sort of cream soup.I watch people eat and I want a bite so bad I don't know what to do or why my pouch can hold so much.I was told just to drink 2 ounzes every half hour all  day but I can do more than that in half hour for some reason.please help and also tell me if I could maybe eat a scrambled egg its been 6 days since surgery

Jenn S.
on 3/2/15 9:01 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

Liquid is not going to stretch your pouch. The reason they give you 2 ounces as a goal is because a lot of people can't drink much just after surgery during the healing process. I was able to drink normally once I got home.  I was told to drink at least 64 oz a day. I had to work up to that but it wasn't a difficult task. As far as the scrambled egg, I would follow the plan your doctor and nutritionist gave you.  I didn't have eggs until 2 weeks I think.  Some people don't do well with eggs the first time they try them so don't get frustrated if for some reason your new pouch isn't ready. Don't be in a hurry to get to the next phase. If you are mentally focusing on food a lot, you might want to figure out why that is so you don't fall back on the same habits that you had before surgery.  This is by no means an easy process, but you can do it. Good luck to you.

Rosalie123
on 3/2/15 10:50 am

I had surgery- RNY last week too! I am following what the NUT told me ... Liquids only.  60-80 gms of protein with Unjury, premier protein and isoprene.+ 64 ounces of fluid. I am able to tolerate liquids but sip, sip, sip all day long. Have one cup of broth everyday. I felt like I went through some stages of grief b/c cant actually eat real food. Also, not feeling good makes a difference on emotions. Then remember, why did I have surgery ... I WANT TO LIVE. I WANT TO GET RID OF MY OBESITY RELATED CO-MORBITIES! I am trying to embrace this life style change and learn about what leads me to make good vs bad food decisions. Be strong. I wouldn't eat a morsel of food that is not on my plan because I HAVE to do this for myself so I can live.  You can do this too. Follow your NUT's recommendations. I also get all vitamins in every day. Good luck on your journey!

RNY 2/24/15

NYMom222
on 3/2/15 11:07 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I know I was allowed creamed soups and farina by one week out. That being said the shakes and soup are all 'slider' foods meaning they have no substance so they slide right through. You won't get a full feeling for awhile --you are still healing. The first few weeks are the hardest. Don't eat an egg unless you are to that stage from your surgeon. My surgeon only recommends poached eggs or soft boiled at first. Eggs can get kind of rubbery and be hard to tolerate.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

brandy911200
on 3/2/15 11:47 am - Canada

thanks for the help makes  lot of sense especially the part about the slider foods not staying inI am allowed cream soups so I was thinking of making a nice pea soup with some broth I made frome boiling a ham before I thought this might be a good helthy choice for a cream soup what do you guys think?

selhard
on 3/2/15 12:17 pm, edited 3/2/15 10:24 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

A friendly suggestion to wait before trying eggs; they can be hit and miss.  I also wonder if the ham broth might be too salty and/or too fatty for inside healing this early.  I liked the brand Unjury chicken broth sold in packets at www.unjury.com.  I also liked things like sugar-free jello and pudding, cottage cheese, and protein drinks.  Sipping water was my biggest focus and effort, however.  Things seem overwhelming in the beginning but you'll get the hang of it before you know it.

White Dove
on 3/2/15 10:53 pm - Warren, OH

Split pea soup was my life savior during the first month or two.  I made mine with chicken broth instead of water and added diced ham when I was allowed that.  The broth from a boiled ham would be excellent.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

SkinnyScientist
on 3/2/15 6:18 pm

Dont eat the eggs until your plan calls for it.

My cousin missed solid foods too.  He ate solids (just a bite or two of pizza) too soon and landed himself in the ER. Note: He lives in woods of Northern MInnesota...the hospitals there are one step above the school nurse.  Anyway, he almost died. The ER Doc was so scared that they were preparing him to be airlifted to fargo or grand forks.

Stay out of the solid food unless your surgeons plan calls for it.  When the surgeons plan says you can, eat ONLY what is permitted in the amount prescribed.

Also: what you are feeling may be head hunger OR acid (if you arent on an antacid). Do NOT give in to the mental and physical sensations.  They will pass.  Despite what your body may be telling you, you arent starving to death. You are eating shakes and oatmeal.  Thhe volume and types of food (sliders) arent enough/the right type to trigger the nerve in your pouch to give you satiety.  That will come in time. You cant have these types and amounts of food right now because you are healing.  

Ya just got to white knuckle through. I am sorry

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

twarne
on 3/2/15 10:24 pm - Highland Grove, Ontario, Canada

I am 4 weeks out of my RNY. I ate something that didn't agree with me (haven't figured out what) that sent me to the ER. They put me nage on liquids.  But looking at what everyone wrote it was probably an egg. I was at the point where my plan let me have one. I also found that I could drink more that what they said. I can't now tho. Just stick to the plan and watch what you eat.  Your pouch will tell you when you've had enough.

Ticker 89109

Sherrie P.
on 3/3/15 9:39 am
RNY on 02/06/13

My plan had me on nothing but liquids for three weeks post op. 

Liquids cannot stretch your pouch it is open on two ends. Try stretching a funnel -- your pouch isn't holding anything, it runs right through.

A lot of people cannot tolerate a few ounces at first due to the internal incisions and healing process.  Now that you are post op - go to YouTube and search for Gastric Bypass Surgery and watch the surgery. It will give you a new appreciation for why you feel like you do.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?