When you start "under growing" your clothes. Cross Posted

kaniky
on 6/30/15 6:48 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I'm on a semi-confined budget and am now coming into a nice dilemma.  I have lost 25 pounds and the pants I wear for work are getting droopy and saggy.  They're kind of okay because I wear long shirts over them.  But it's not going to be too much longer and I don't think they're going to work.  

I went shopping in my closet last night and found pants in the next smaller size and some one size smaller than that.  But the next ones are still snug.  Doable but I'm not sure how comfortable.  I really don't want to spend money on pants that aren't going to be around long.  So, if you were me, would you tough it out another ten pounds in the bigger pants and then try the smaller ones or bite the bullet and spend money for new ones?

What did you do on your amazing weight loss journey?

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

killinmesmalls77
on 6/30/15 7:04 am - MN
RNY on 05/07/15

I am in the same boat and am staying in my saggy pants until the next size down in my closet fits. One of the tricks I am using is to wash and then dry them on medium heat to try and shrink them a bit. It has worked with one pair of pants pretty well. The others start out fine in the morning, but by the end of the day, I am able to pull them off without unbuttoning them.

You could try shopping at thrift stores or garage sales for cheap pants. That is what I'll be doing after I run out of pants that fit in my closet. 

I will say that this is a nice problem to have vs. out growing my clothes like I've done for most of my life. 

HW: 276 SW: 254.1 GW: 125 CW: 154.5

Susanb2117
on 6/30/15 12:08 am

I go to Goodwill every week or two and spend time digging through the racks and buying the size I need.  I cannot stand to wear pants that are too big, it is depressing.  I find that well fitting pants (or even a bit snug) remind me all day about what I am doing and it makes me feel great to go to the next size down!

Emiepie
on 6/30/15 7:16 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Good job! I used safety pins quite a bit and of course shop at second hand stores to fill in some gaps on items I needed. Also, you can get some good deals on clearance racks and stores like Ross or Marshalls.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

White Dove
on 6/30/15 7:18 am - Warren, OH

I only wore clothes that fit well.  At times I only had one pair of pants and washed them out every night, but they fit great.  Wearing too big or too small is unattractive and depressing.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

poplargreys
on 6/30/15 12:40 am, edited 6/30/15 12:42 am
VSG on 03/31/15

I bought pants and skirts two sizes down from my current size and wore the big ones until the smaller ones fit. Then the big ones got donated, and I'll buy two sizes down again and repeat until I'm maintaining my goal weight. I'm super cheap, and haunt clearance racks at Macy's and shop on eBay to buy stuff right now, I refuse to pay retail price for something that I can only wear for a few months! 

SkinnyScientist
on 6/30/15 7:46 am

Goodwill, Salvation army, and consignment stores.

People also started offering clothes after asking "What size are you now?"  I am not too proud so I told them and happily took their old clothes.

When someone complimented my dress, if it came from any of the above, I was honest about that too.

Believe it or not, random coworkers, parishioners and friends sometimes just produce stuff out of no where and it fills in teh gaps.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/15 8:22 am

I will say I spent too much money. I had to give things away since they got too big too fast. I recommend getting a few things. Shop at thrift shops, clearance racks. I would just wash things every other day. 

Buying new clothes is fun and it feel so good.

mljohns
on 6/30/15 8:45 am
DS on 01/27/15

I was given so many pair of jeans that I didn't have to buy any until I was smaller (or the same size) as most of my friends. I also do the Goodwill thing and would buy sizes that fit and one size down so I'll have something on hand. I used to always wear oversized tops and stretch jeans (thick waist--skinny legs), now that I'm smaller I try only to wear things that fit correctly. I've worked hard and gone through a lot to be the size I am now. (still working on getting smaller) I'm not covering it up with clothes that are too big.

bruindiva92
on 6/30/15 8:46 am
Revision on 03/29/17

I agree with everyone else that baggy clothes didn't help with my mental picture of my new self.  I wore my size 20 until they fell off with a belt.

This weekend I picked up 4 pair jeans for $12 at Goodwill.  Target has tees $6 with the second tee $3.  Got a new wardrobe for $30.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 451 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 347 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 347 views