Hospital Day after surgery

dorothy1110
on 9/7/17 4:55 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

Sitting here they day after surgery and sipping my little medicine cups of water. I love water but tired of these little medicine cups. Been sipping them since 10 am and is now after 7pm. I was sipping only warm water and was getting ready to ask my nurse if I was allowed anything else. Then my husband said they delivered my meal to my room when I was finishing that hours walk. I asked nurse if she wanted my sugar checked before and she was like you ordered food. I told her I didn't. I guess my Dr. had it ordered. I really think she thought I was suppose to only drink water. Needless to say I am currently the only weight loss surgery patient on my floor. I will say it's nice having a private room. The pain yesterday before they gave it to me on my floor was insane. My poor kids saw me in so much pain that saddened me. When I asked for more pain killer in recovery said we already have your orders sent up to your floor tell the nurse up there. The nurse told me I had to weight 6 hours because it said I got it downstairs. I asked her to call Dr She only made me wait a couple hours in pain. Last night was horrible. My pain would come back badly every 4 hours and could not have anything for 2 more hours. I forgot to ask people about the pain afterwards, What did I think it was going to be painless LoL. Hoping sleep will be easier tonight. When the say it's a good idea to walk around the floor. I would say do it. My pain actually got a little better for a while. I asked the new nurse that just came on to shift If I could take a break from walking for a bit. She said yes I was surprised when she said most patients for weigh loss surgery she encounters do not want to walk around the floor. The nurse I have now have knows more about Bariatric patients, that is a good thing. Sorry if this was long and complaining. Hopefully I can go home tomorrow.

LillithsDemons
on 9/7/17 4:59 pm
RNY on 03/14/17

it is reel good to walk so thats good you are doing it. hope you feel good and go home tomarrow

CerealKiller Kat71
on 9/7/17 4:59 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Walking is one of the best things you can do to alleviate the gas pains after laparoscopic surgery. It sounds like you are doing everything that you should be -- trust me, it gets easier every day.

Soon, this will be a distant memory.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

NYMom222
on 9/7/17 5:10 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Sorry you were having pain and they weren't responding. As Kat said it will get better. Keep walking and drinking as boring as it is....two most important things.

Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

terrylynnishere
on 9/7/17 5:35 pm

One step at a time. One sip at a time. That's my mantra these days to prepare.

Congratulations on getting to the other side of this adventure.

Heal fast, and good luck

Vertical sleeve, Sept 15

HonestOmnivore
on 9/8/17 9:54 am
RNY on 03/29/17

I used the compression wrap to hold packs of ice against the incisions. Walking will really help the most but short term relief comes with the ice packs!

I walked on the hour when I was awake, and kept that up at home (where I set my stove timer to 'remind me' every hour). I also used ice packs under the compression garment at home - it helped a lot although I only had moderate discomfort.

You'll be better soon!

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Kathy1212
on 9/8/17 10:40 am

Congrats on having a successful surgery.

Yeah, the pain sucks, but hang in as it will pass and every day will get a little better. Once you're home you'll probably feel more comfortable.

I switched to a pretty little espresso cup when I got home as I kept knocking the medicine cups over, lol. The espresso cup held the same amount of water (or protein shake), and was much sturdier. Plus much prettier, lol.

Pretty soon this will all be a distant memory.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 430 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 363 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 447 views