Hunger pains

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/18 4:34 pm

Anytime I feel those pains the first thing I do is drink a bunch of fluids to make sure! All I've had since surgery is water, so I haven't been drinking any artificial stuff. I'm sure my fluid intake could increase though!

Green_limes
on 1/14/18 3:08 pm, edited 1/14/18 7:11 am - Canada

I am almost 4 months out. I had a period of feeling starving too. Antacids didn?t help. Don?t stress. It will pass. It went away after I started eating full foods. Now I eat but I never really feel hunger. I pretty much eat just protein and some veg. Dense protein tends to keep me satisfied longer.

Laura in Texas
on 1/14/18 4:08 pm

I am 9 years out and still eat every 2-3 hours. I've lost 200 pounds and have kept it off so eating often has not adversely affected my weight.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/15/18 4:38 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I eat 5 very small meals a day (which I refer to as breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, snack). I eat approximately every 3 hours. That works best for me.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Erin T.
on 1/15/18 5:52 am
VSG on 01/17/17

There are two camps when it comes to meals: eat only three times per day, and eat every 2-3 hours while awake. For the loss stage I was adhering to option A but when I approached goal I started with option B because I literally couldn't fit in the calories I needed without more meals.

I still rapidly lost to 15lbs below goal when I was eating less than maintenance calories. So, I think as long as you are mindfully eating and not allowing it to be a constant period of grazing AND you are eating nearly only proteins, you'll be fine. If you have honest hunger, your first grab should be dense protein. Unless you are in maintenance you don't even need the veggies!

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/18 4:28 pm

I always eat protein first then veg then starch (and this is truly how my dietician told me to set up my plate - grains with every meal) i usually never get to my veggies never mind the grains at each meal as I still am not able to ingest a lot at a time. Apparently she said what I'm experiencing is normal and it can last a few months so i guess we will see!

MarinaGirl
on 1/15/18 5:51 pm

Grains with every meal?! That is not something I did during weight loss and now that I'm in maintenance I don't eat grains daily, just occasionally.

sweetpotato1959
on 1/15/18 6:12 pm

Nutritionist attached to surgeon had us to eat protein and carb. first..because carbs are needed to help utilize. protein. that was my only two things i could get down for at least 6 months, besides my protein shakes. I found better to get meat down to divide my carb in half and eat a little with each mini bite of protein...we used baskin robbins ice cream tasting spoons to eat with after surgery. try chewing those tiny bites 20 times.!

The grain is a carb. the vegs may or may not be depends on what veg you are choosing. Some are higher in vitamins and others higher in carbs... nutritionists generally want ppl to try to get everything in thu food, just after this restrictive surgery it is not always possible. There are vitamins to replace those vegs.

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/18 7:02 pm

Thank you for that! I definitely am not able to get all of it in every meal by any means but it's definitelt the goal so I'm told!

Gina 21 Years Out
on 1/17/18 4:00 pm - Burleson, TX

"carbs are needed to utilize protein"

Don't I just WISH ?!?!? Can you provide us with some science, to back this up-maybe get it from your NUT? I went all over the web, and all I could remotely find was related to bodybuilders, and their pre-show workouts, with carb loading, etc

I'm all about the science (40+ year nurse)...Find me a legit way to eat carbs...I'm there!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Most Active
Recent Topics