5 Year Post Op Issues

rumar
on 10/14/23 8:46 am

Hello everyone. This message is for those 5-year post-op. It's been a while since I've been on this site, but what are some of the issues you are having at this point? I'm struggling with anemia and getting enough protein in. I don't know at this point if it is related but I also struggle with itching skin, especially feet and hands (B vitamins maybe??). I had gotten hooked on sugar for a minute and not being conscious of my eating but after a stint to the emergency room with a bacterial infection on my leg (Cellulitis - bacteria feeds on sugar), I gave it up now 3 weeks very little sugar. I've pretty much remained at about a 100 lb weight loss of which I hit about 6 months post op. My doctor was not concerned and said that's where my body wants to be and it's good as long as my numbers are good. No matter how much or little I eat, the scale will not budge, even after giving up sugar! I wear around a women's size 14 (from a size 24!!!). I know I need to go back for my annual visit but unfortunately, I lost my job a year ago and despite putting in hundreds of apps and having interviews, have not landed. I can't afford to go back yet. Anyway, how is everyone doing?

catwoman7
on 10/14/23 9:22 am
RNY on 06/03/15

other than battling regain (I put on about 15 lbs during year 3 post-op, which honestly I probably should have - but the 15 or so additional lbs I've put on since COVID started was NOT wanted!), I've been fine - no issues, no side effects.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

rumar
on 10/14/23 9:14 pm

Thanks for your reply and I wish you continued success (and losing 15 lbs...you can do it).

White Dove
on 10/14/23 12:43 pm - Warren, OH

I had no issues first five years. In last five years have had low iron with infusions, and lately have had low protein that I am working to eat more protein. I have high prosperous and that can cause the itching.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

rumar
on 10/14/23 9:18 pm

Thanks for your response. Yes, the low iron and battle with getting protein as I stated is what I'm battling with as well. I just ordered a different bariatric multivitamin with iron that has more B1 vitamins to see if that helps with the itching. I don't have high prosperous (which is a sign of kidney issues????) or at least the bloodwork or the hospital didn't say anything about it. Thanks again and I wish you continued success!

White Dove
on 10/14/23 9:32 pm - Warren, OH

For most of us, the only iron we seem to absorb is Proferrin. It is expensive but does help me a lot with keeping my iron up.

White Dove
on 10/14/23 9:20 pm, edited 10/14/23 2:20 pm - Warren, OH

I firmly believe that the only way to lose weight is to reduce calories. A woman needs 10 calories a day to maintain one pound. So to maintain 150 pounds need to eat 1500 calories. It really does not matter whether those calories come from bread, sugar, meat, fruit, veggies. All that counts as far as weight is the amount you take in.

CoachBrian77
on 10/16/23 9:42 am

Hi,

Many surgeons and their nutritionists may give you a free consult to "check-in or reboot" or offer a low-fee check-in. So try that. Additionally, try going back to a reset. Try a week of shakes, soup broth, and water.

Also, if you would like some tips for free on LinkedIn job searching, let me know.

Most Active
Recent Topics