Coffee Drinkers: How far out did you have coffee again?

Still Fawn
on 4/3/11 12:04 pm - SIERRA MADRE, CA
I was offered decaf in the hospital as well, and I started drinking regular again a month out. When I go to Stbx I order a small skinny caramel latte with 2 scoops of protein..

I am still loving life with my sleeve! Been maintaining at or below goal for over 4 years!
"People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within."   - Ramona L. Anderson

KathyA999
on 4/3/11 12:21 pm
I weaned myself off coffee a couple weeks before surgery (so I wouldn't be dealing with caffeine withdrawal, along with everything else, really good suggestion from my surgeon).  Then it was probably a couple months before I went back to it, didn't drink decaf during that time either.  I drink my coffee black, and I usually have a couple cups in the morning and really enjoy it.  I don't go to Bux or Peets or places like that, so can't offer info there.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

NewDawn50
on 4/3/11 12:27 pm
At 6 weeks I was cleared, but switched to decaf because, when I gave up diet coke I realized the caffeine was partly to blame for the skippy heartbeat I was having.  Now I drink a cup in the morning, maybe 2-3 times a week.  Since I'm not jonesing for the caffeine anymore, I don't have to have it.

johnbertak
on 4/3/11 12:28 pm - MD
Decaf - we could have it from the start.
Regular - we're encouraged not to have it UNTIL & UNLESS  we are getting 60+ oz. of non-caloric liquids per day.  Caffine is a diuretic and can mess up the hydration we're all shooting for.  I've gone over to de-caff almost exclusively, but will do half-half if it's offered and even a reg once in a great while.  Never thought I would make the switch to decaf, but it's working out fine at 4 mos. post-op.
Good Luck.
Pop-Pop

tdenise8958
on 4/3/11 12:28 pm - CO
I was cleared to have decaf coffee and tea after surgery!
  Lost 12 pounds during pre-op diet

SchwartzFamly
on 4/3/11 12:35 pm
day after in the hospital.

I LIVE on coffee.  During our recent move, I was drinking a pot (or more) a day.  Okay, not good for ANYONE, but I live with my choices.  My kidneys hate me,  but hey, whattaya gonna do.
 I'm 6' tall and 41 years old

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/11 12:50 pm
I'm 3 mos out, and a graduate student, so I definitely need me some coffee. I started drinking it again about a month ago. I usually only have 1 small latte a day, if I make it myself, we use 2% milk and hazelnut flavored coffee. If I go to a cafe, I get the smallest latte they offer. I do not get skinny or non-fat, because I've found the fat helps buffer the acidity of the coffee for me. If I have more than 1 per day, I get way too jittery--I'm much more sensitive to the caffeine now. Bonus: it'll help keep you regular, a frequent complaint of post-ops.

Abby
diane S.
on 4/3/11 2:45 pm
at 3 weeks i had half coffee half hot skim milk. at  4 weeks my surgeon cleared me for coffee which i have had with half and half every single day since. Still love the stuff. Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

4theloveofhorsz
on 4/4/11 3:07 am - Austin, TX
Day 3 in the hospital, I was allowed to have decaf coffee, and the dr said even full coffee is OK in moderation. I don't think i could ahve survived without my cofee. I have noticed though, that since I drink more slowly I can only drink 1 cup in the morning vs my usual 2 cups. I use non-dairy  fat free creamer in it...

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views