do I really need post op visits

teetee126
on 4/5/11 3:15 pm
I had my surgery in Mexico and was wondering do I really need to go to the doctor post op if I'm not having any problems?  What do they do at the post op appts?
sleeve genie
on 4/5/11 3:19 pm - Alhambra, CA
I think the most important reason to go to a post op visit is to get your labs done.   The few i have gone to they just weigh you , which you can do yourself,  but getting your bloodwork checked is very important.   You need to know if you are deficient in something that can then be easily fixed with the proper supplements.  Good luck jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

frisco
on 4/5/11 3:50 pm

This is where I get into trouble........

I'm not against people doing the Mexico thing if it works for you. And there is solid proof here on this board that there are a couple of fine surgeons doing the VSG with many success stories coming from Mexico.

I feel right now more than ever.....follow-up appointments (with my surgeon), support groups (run by my surgeon) have been a major part in me getting to goal and will be an important part to maintaining. Face time and getting guidance in all parts of the process from my surgeon narrows down any deviations I may be exposed to.

I realize everybody doesn't have this available to them or even need it. If you have it available to you I would encourage you to participate at least through weight loss.

For me (speaking for myself) contact with the surgeon was very important to my selection of a WL surgeon and a big part of my decision.

In just about everything else in my life that I have accomplished there have been people that I have sought out for guidance in one way or another. WL was never a successful accomplishment for me and I needed the guidance.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

faciallady93101
on 4/5/11 5:19 pm
VSG on 09/11/10 with
good point Frisco!

teetee126
on 4/6/11 3:11 am
Yeah Mexico was not my first choice...but ended up being my only choice.  So now I am going to look for a doctor here that can follow up.

Babynesh05
on 4/5/11 7:52 pm - Germany
 I have just moved to Germany, and so I do not have a WLS person to talk to.. but my Surgeon did recommend making sure I go in to get my labs done at least every few months to make sure I am getting in any vitamins I need in. 

OH is my support group right now 

GW 1: 200 COMPLETED! 193-Feb 15th 2011
GW 2: 160 COMPLETED! 160-May 12th 2011
GW 3: 140 COMPLETED! 140-June 17th 2011
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Kelshei
on 4/5/11 11:30 pm - Knoxville, TN
My follow-ups so far have consisted of getting my labs done the week before and then going over them with the doc or his nurse to make sure that my nutritional levels are where they are supposed to be in order to head off potential problems before they become large enough to be a big problem.  We also discuss any issues I've had since my last visit and any foods I'm having trouble with. I've only had my 2-week, 1-month and 3-month appointments so far. My practice requires those and 6-, 9-, 12-, and 18-month appointments then yearly for the rest of my life. I've had good enough luck with this practice that I'm willing to travel here each year even if I move.

So, I suppose if you come right down to it, "need" to? Maybe not. But I would recommend checking in with your primary doctor every few months for the first year, just to make sure your levels are where they should be. Most people I've talked to have said that regular check-ups with a doctor and the accountability of someone else weighing you are key in their success. So far, I've found that to be the case. I only wish that my surgeon's support groups weren't on the night I have to work evenings. I'm going to have to work on that! I love the support I get here at OH, but it's not quite the same as actual in-person support groups.

Congrats on your surgery! Good luck with your Sleeve.

The weight on the ticker is from the initial consult with my surgeon.
HW 301/SW 271.8/CW 228.2/GW 145 I'm 37 & 5'4.5"
My wellness blog:
http://kelshei.blogspot.com/ 

justeric78
on 4/6/11 12:07 am - Houston, TX
I am in the same boat as you for the after care. I already talked to my primary care physician who said he would be happy to do the labs for me which my insurance will cover even though they do not cover the surgery. I am going to come out of pocket and see a nutritionist a few times with my lab results. Lastly I found a support group and a local clinic for WLS patiants which i can attend despite not using their facility for the surgery. I would imagine you can do the same for the above. I think this should about cover me for support from OH and in person as well as physicians care.

teetee126
on 4/6/11 3:14 am
Okay this I can do.  I will talk to my primary doctor and see if he can get me a referal and I know of a wl clinic here that I can go to for free. TY!

mimikay
on 4/6/11 12:10 am
I only had a 6 week, 4 mos, and 8 mos post op visits, then it will be yearly. I really wish my surgeon was more accessible. I haven't seen him since surgery. Don't get me wrong, his nurse had wls so she's a great help and will call back when you have questions, concerns, etc. His surgical pa is also very helpful. However, the only blood work they did at 4 mos was very minimal - iron levels and B12. I need to go to pcp to get more work done - cholesterol, thyroid, and other vitamins. I haven't been able to take advantage of the support groups and post nutrition classes offered due to timing. I envy those of you who have such a great support system through your surgeon. That's why I'm on OH a lot. This is my support group!
  Kay       HW 219/SW 212/CW 134              
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 305 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views