post surgery meds

meemhull
on 4/17/11 1:29 am - St Augustine, FL
I just picked up my meds for after the surgery, and I got liquid pain medication, suppositories for nausea, and the largest capsule I have ever seen for potassium. I always hear everyone saying how small the sips of water are after surgery, how am I supposed to choke that down? They don't give me pills for the other but this horse pill for potassium? Do you think this could be a mistake? Maybe I should email the nurse and ask? Also wondering how I take my current meds afterwards? They gave me all chewables on my vitamans. Anyone have some feedback?
Follow me on you tubehttp://www.youtube.com/user/meemhull

HIghest weight 308 Apr 4th
Preop weight    292  Apr 20th
Mom4Jazz
on 4/17/11 1:33 am
I have the same potassium horse pill.

Get a pill crusher - some drug stores and most medical supply stores have them. Mines just a jar, drop in the pill and tighten the lid, it crushes. I know there are other styles.

Anyway, when you're on liquids, hide it in yogurt or a protein shake. If you're on pureed, mix it with a little applesauce.
meemhull
on 4/17/11 1:40 am - St Augustine, FL
It is a capsule not a pill, do you think it is ok to open it? I was worried it would effect the release time.
Mom4Jazz
on 4/17/11 1:56 am
I'm sure that's fine. I don't believe timed-release is an issue with potassium. Anyway, make sure you put it in something (not too much, though, since you'll only be able to get a little bit down at a time).
Sooz.L.
on 4/17/11 1:55 am - United Kingdom
Check it out as you should not be crushing tablets or opening capsules as they are designed to be absorbed in specific ways.  they could do your stomach no end of problems.

emelar
on 4/17/11 2:01 am - TX
Check with your doc about opening the capsule.  I wasn't able to take big gulps of water immediately post-op, but I could take enough to swallow just about any pill.

Check with your doc as well about getting a scopolomine patch for nausea instead of the suppository.  They both work equally well (according to my nephew, the clinical pharmacist!) and it's a lot easier to slap the patch on and leave it in place.  I used them for 2 weeks and never had a bout of nausea.
sleeve genie
on 4/17/11 2:14 am - Alhambra, CA
Always check with your doctor about opening pills or crushing them,  timed released pills you cannot crush and take,  but i found the best way to take the crushed pills is with s/f pudding,   i tried yogurt, applesauce , juice,   if you hide it in some pudding and kinda swallow the pudding its not too bad.   At least thats what i did with my bp meds before i got off of them about 3 weeks post op  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Jenijeni
on 4/17/11 3:03 am
Yeah, I'm with a couple other posters on this one...check with your doc before crushing or dumping out capsules. Smetimes the capsule itself is made to keep the innards from digesting in one place and move it on to another. My doc allowed us to swallow whole pills or caps the day after surgery. I had no problems.

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

Meg1Pat2
on 4/17/11 7:47 am - TX
VSG on 04/12/11 with
They make liquid potassium !! it tastes terrible but you can chase it with a sip of flavored water.
I am 5 days post op and take my regular meds in pill form, just one at a time and with
a minimal sip of fluid.  And they have nausea pills that melt under your tongue, not in your
butt !!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 293 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views