help

rbow
on 5/8/11 11:36 pm
 Today is the three week mark for my sleeve.  For the first 10 days, weight fell off.  The scales have been stuck for 11 miserable days.  I am doing everything right as far as I can tell.  Lots of protein and water--no problems there. Low carb healthy choices.  Walking (up to a mile yesterday).  Varying calories daily so the body doesn't get too used to this.  Mood swings are awful--a bit down since surgery, yesterday was just great, and today can't get off the couch.  Oh, and blood pressure down almost too much and off the meds entirely. But, this is the kick in the teeth-blood sugar worse than ever, and I can't stomach the metformin. How is blood sugar high when I am eating so few carbs and exercising and moving around to boot?  I am beginning to fear I am stuck for life sipping protein shakes and not knowing from day to day if I can function. I have never had to take insulin and don't want to start now. No post-op physical problems other than I am not losing weight.

I am a middle aged woman many years post menopause.

WTF!!!!!!

Monica W.
on 5/8/11 11:43 pm - TX
Famous 3 week stall, its frustrating as hell but trust me the scale will move again!!!

tdjf_3
on 5/8/11 11:46 pm
First things first BREATHE =)
Your body is adjusting to a very shocking thing that you are doing. Everything that it was use to has changed. Don't worry the scale will start moving again. Also try to make yourself exercise even if it is just a lil it will make you feel better. Things will improve don't fear.

God Bless & Happy Losing!!!!                 
(deactivated member)
on 5/8/11 11:49 pm
My last weight loss was Apr 3.  I had surgery March 14.  This morning I was down 1/2 lb so maybe my stall is over I won't jinx myself by getting too excited yet.  It happens and all you can do is wait it out.  I also  had a real hard time getting past the extreme tiredness after surgery.  I am just in the past two weeks having some great energy.  Sometimes our bodies just take longer to react to invasion and change.   Just hang in there.  PS I am also many years post menopause..
cattywompos
on 5/9/11 12:03 am
Yep, you have hit the dreaded 3 week stall. It is rough the first few weeks and you will have days when you feel like pucky and days when you feel great. I am no expert on diabetes, but I am assuming that your new diet is throwing your sugar off. I would definitely contact your doc. I also think that once you start on more regular food it may straighten out a bit better. All that you can do is take each day, hour, moment at a time. Don't rush things, allow yourself to rest when needed. It is okay to do that.  As time goes on things do get easier and you will find your niche.
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

rbow
on 5/9/11 12:25 am
 Thanks for the kind thoughts, but, this is not the three week stall.  It started at 10 DAYS and hasn't budged.  Doctors just want to shoot me up with insulin, and I don't want to start down that path when I have never had to do it before, and had the surgery primarily to avoid that.  Nothing makes any sense.  Where does blood sugar come from when I am eating mostly protein?  Never a rational answer from a doc or nurse. Everything about this defies the laws of physics.  I am feeling desperate, pure and simple.  When you have done as much as can be done, gone as far as one can go, and that doesn't work, well, what else is there?  I don't think it's a thing to do with this surgery or the wisdom of it in general and for most people.  It's my body and my system.  Nothing has ever worked, and now not even butchering myself seems to be helping.  Sorry if this seems like a pity party, but, it's a rough day when you realize you are out of options and getting worse than ever when you have gone to these extremes.  If the stall had started at 3 weeks, I would feel better.  But to go through this to drop some water weight and a few lbs.  for 10 days, and that's it, well, how else should I feel?
Jenijeni
on 5/9/11 1:28 am
My three week stall started at about 10 days out, too and lasted three weeks!! Please don't be discouraged! This part is 100% normal. I would call your doc and ask about your blood sugar, though. Seems to me it should be dropping, not rising. Nothing to mess around with. Are you tracking your protein and drinks somehow? Myfitnesspal.com is a great site and there is an iPhone and Android app. Good luck!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

walmartian
on 5/9/11 12:40 am
Have you seen an endocrinologist? I think you need to.

Herbie55
on 5/9/11 12:41 am - MI
I will be 3 weeks post op this coming thursday. I am 55 years old and have lost a total of 12.5 lbs. That was withing the first 8 days. Have gone up and down 2.5 pounds since. I just figure it's part of the program and although it's rather depressing, I deal with it. Hope you get your sugar under control.
kats-mom
on 5/9/11 3:23 am - TX
VSG on 02/15/11 with
My blood sugar went up right after surgery too. I'm not sure what caused it, but it went up. Once I started on "real" food in week 6 or 7, my numbers started to get more normal. . Before surgery, I took Amaryl and Byetta shots and have been able to get off those. I still have to take metformin twice a day (I cut it in half). I'm hoping that I'll be able to get off it someday. I have hit a stall two times since surgery and the first was before I started soft foods. I am also post menopausal as well as have several other medical problems. Hang in there - life with the sleeve will get better.
   Lorraine    kats-mom
        Highest Weight-285  /  1st Nutritionist Appt-275  /  Pre-op Diet-257  /  
                               Day of Surgery: 246  /  Day Home-257

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views