swallowing

JennDee
on 5/12/11 11:20 pm
i was sleeved on wednesday and have a quick question. im struggling a bit to get my fluids in, which i know is normal. did most of you have pain/discomfort when swallowing? did you crush your meds to take them and if so what did you put them in? i tried liquid tylenol but couldn't get it down. any suggestions? i have 2 daily meds that i have to take as well.
thanks for everyone's help!!!

Jennie D.  

"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly".

"If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got."

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/11 11:22 pm
Thats from being intubated during surgery, it goes away pretty fast.  Try warm liquids, that seems to help most people. 
Jenijeni
on 5/12/11 11:27 pm
Yep, same problems here just post op. My doc said it was cool to do my pills whole (or halved if they were large). In the hospital, the nurse put my meds in 1 tbsp of applesauce. Have you thought about chewable Tylenol? They make an adult strength chewable but it's hard to find... Or at least they made one 7 or 8 years ago when I worked in a pharmacy. Good luck!!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

sleeve genie
on 5/13/11 12:10 am - Alhambra, CA
Congratulations on your surgery,  the first week can be tough.   I tried crushed pills in applesauce, juice, i found it went down much easier in a spoon of s/f pudding,  i went home on full liquids so be sure its on your acceptable food list.   Good luck,  it relly does get better very quickly.  enjoy the new you :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

maxcat
on 5/13/11 12:35 pm - Philly Burbs, PA
 Glad to see your doing well. I had the same problem too. I got great advice from people on here and that was drink your drinks at room tempature and don't sit when drinking, drink standing up because of the swelling. 
I used a medicine cup and just took tiny swallows and then counted how many cups I had so I could keep track. Everyday it got better and better. 
I did crush my pills but some of them tasted so nasty I couldn't do it so I cut them into very tiny pieces and swallowed them. That worked well for me and thats what they told me to do in the hospital.
Hope that helps you.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 94 views