what to take to hospital

Lynnww666
on 5/19/11 12:56 pm - Canada
Hi,
I'm new to this site but have heard that the people here are helpful and friendly and that works for me!
I don't have a surgery date (sleeve****il July, but I'd like some suggestions of must have items for my hospital stay. Anyone who has been through this will likely have some good ideas that I might not otherwise think of (good book, own nightie).
Lynn
Quien quiera pescado que se moje el culo
Dec. 2010 weight 355, surgery weight 292 Current weight 199

shantele7824
on 5/19/11 1:24 pm - SAN PABLO, CA
First off I would like to say welcome and please look around and read people's stories and the message boards for almost everything WLS related and some not related.  Then also July will be here before you know it so good luck with your future sleeve surgery.  I had surgery on May 3rd and let me tell you the only thing I truly "needed" was chapsitck, I aint playing, I aint the picky type of person so I did take things like a night gown for just in case I didnt like my gown, but they had a gown that was big enough that I only needed 1 I couldn't beleive it so I didnt even use mine.  I took a book, I am just now starting to read it I had the best roommate and we sat around talking and laughing and walking and sipping with each other it really was great, I thought I was going to need the book because I aint the type who sleeps in the daytime and go to sleep late but I had the best roommate.  I wore the socks which I loved before I even went so I wore those and I took extra for at home, lol I love them.  I did take extra clothes so I looked cute before and after surgery in differnt clothes, but that really aint necessary. Ok I feel like I have wrote a book so I will stop now

The only thing you truly need is CHAPSTICK A NEW TUBE!!!
First Meeting with Surgeon:2/10/2011  weight was 460
Surgery Date:5/03/2011  Weight was 428
Revsion To RNY 06/26/2012 Weight 

wert
on 5/19/11 1:30 pm - MN
Slippers! The slip-on kind so you don't have to bend over to get them on. The hospital provided socks with gripper bottoms but I didn't like them. They seemed too slippery on the tile floors even tho they had those grippers. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

taracarter42
on 5/19/11 1:52 pm
 I was told super stretchy pants.  

I bought the gaucho pants from Old Navy online.  I used these when I was pregnant and I LIVED IN THE DAMN THINGS!  I recommend them highly.

Don't both with the book The Everything Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook btw....just fyi! lol
Paul11011
on 5/19/11 2:07 pm
Sweatpants/ pj pants, t-shirt (you're gong to be hooked up to monitors, etc and pants/shirt might work better than a nightie),  tooth brush and paste (I did not like the hospital ones), hair brush/comb.  A book or magazine is a good idea, maybe your ipod. 

One piece of advice, take a picture of yourself in whatever you wear to the hospital and hang on to those clothes.  It will be a great motivator to put them on and take more pictures later down the road. 

Best of Luck Lynn and the other pre-opers too!
VSG 1-10-2011 Dr. Randal Baker.   www.grandhealthpartners.com

Heidi V.
on 5/19/11 2:12 pm - Cardinal, Canada
Revision on 01/13/14
A WASH CLOTH!!!!

Revision from sleeve to RNY is set for January 13, 2014.

(deactivated member)
on 5/19/11 2:16 pm
I took a bathrobe as I am always cold, I put one arm in the armhole and the other side was draped over the shoulder.  I took chapstick as you will fiind your lips will be sooooooo dry.  I wore the clothes home that I wore in but brought fresh undies.  I brought a hairbrush and a clip or two, toothbrush and paste.  They provided everything else, slipper socks, deoderant, they even had a tooth brush and paste for me. You won't be able to concentrate on books or laptop, games etc.  TV is about all you can deal with.  The only thing you might add that I wish I had brought was a horseshoe shaped pillow to go around your neck.  You will probably sleep with your body raised sort of like in a recliner position.  I woke up with a neck ache more than once.  I could have continued to use it at home for the first week.
Fancy4684
on 5/19/11 2:18 pm
Slippers and chapstick !
Road Less Travelled
on 5/19/11 2:33 pm
VSG on 12/13/10 with
Keep it simple:

toothbrush/paste
comb/brush
ear plugs
chap stick
Cell phone

loose cloths that you can in - go home in
I wore slippers in and out

July 2007 = lap band ...Sept 2010: lap band removed....Dec 2010 VSG
HW: 283... VSG SW: 244 ..  got down to 170 -- now at 193 and "back on track" ....GW: 155

nsblue
on 5/19/11 8:53 pm - Brookfield. NS, Canada

I havent had surgery yet but I was given a post surgery tool box list that many things in it would be good for the hospital.

Post Surgery Toolbox: 

1. Protein shake bottle

2. Blender of some type (bullet recommended)

3. Tennis shoes (for exercising)

4. Computer access for OH

5. Journal to record thoughts

6. Method for tracking food and nutrients (e.g., myfooddiary.com or good old notebook)

7. Good scale: zeros out, handles ounces and grams 8. Good set of measuring cups (and spoons)

9. Method to track weight changes

10. Tape measure to take measurements each month

11. Pillow for early on coughing spells, getting up and down, ride from hospital

12. Good music (iPod maybe?)

13. Family/Friend support system

14. Smaller fork and spoon (kid sized, or see crate&barrel appetizer-sized flatware)

15. Smaller plate (saucer, then salad plate) so your plate looks FULL

16. Gift certificates to department stores for shopping (in later months)

17. Consignment shop locations for those smaller clothes

18. OH Lightweights Angel

19. Colace (stool softener)

20. Papaya Chews

21. Milk of Magnesia

22. GasX Strips

23. Sippy cups or small cups with lids so you don't smell your protein drinks

24. Ice cube trays so you can freeze liquids and purees in convenient 1 oz servings

25. Protein powders (start out with single serving samples like from www.vitalady.com)

26. Protein drink recipes

27. Dear Me Letter (write a letter to yourself of all the reasons you've had WLS

28. Comfy loose fitting clothes for just after surgery

29. Drink flavorings

30. Sugar free popsicles, jello, and crystal light-like drinks

31. Weekly or monthly vitamin sorter containers.

32. Small pill box for vitamins (for purse/backpack)

33. Spreadsheet for tracking your labs (bloodwork).

34. Chapstick

35. Feminine products for monthly visitor

36. Blender or smoothie maker

37. Robe for walking halls in hospital

38. Thermometer for taking your temp the first week at home

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op