i have been eating EVERYTHING bad...stress eating

sleevedinjanuary2011
on 6/1/11 11:05 am
 so i woke up this morning really stressed out because my internship is ending and i have hours upon hours of paperwork to finish..so instead of making a good decision, i let the stress take over and i ate half a package of ramen for breakfast...got to my internship, and ate a quarter of a bagel with cream cheese and a bite of a scone.   i finished my paperwork...and felt pretty good..and was on my way to the gym..and then got an email from my professor telling me i got a b- in a class..so what do i do? i go home and pop a bag of popcorn and eat almost the WHOLE thing..and a scoop of peanut butter..it doesn't even taste or feel good going down..it's just my old coping strategy popping up..

now i'm sitting here feeling ridiculous..i NEED to get a hold of myself...i cant make it this far, and then start sabotaging myself.  (i am seeing a therapist...but she isn't helping AT ALL)

i guess tomorrow is a new start..to make better decisions.   i'm thinking about making a behavioral contract with myself..for every 100 calories i go over (well..the bad carby calories) i have to spend an extra hour at the gym...maybe that will give me more motivation to make better decisions.

do you guys just tell yourself "no..i'm not eating that" and then move on?  

Valerie K.
on 6/1/11 11:22 am - Dearborn, MI
 I eat under stress had alot of stress the past two weeks and was eating things I know better not to eat. But I ate them and felt bad. I just told my self we all fall off the tracks we are not perfect  and I started over eating good the next day.

If you know your eating wrong and know what your eating wrong is a good thing to me at least your not just fooling your self and you can change it back to eating good. Just tell your self you can do this it will happen i told my self I was being stupid and to stop I did not have this surgery to gain weight only to loose. 

I take one day at a time. that works best for me and I put every things down on my fitness pal that I eat and that helps me. You can turn this around.

My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

ready2Bhealthy2
on 6/1/11 11:24 am
Congrats on ur weight loss.  As for falling off the wagon, you said it best when you said tomorrow is a new day.  I haven't been sleeved yet, but last week I met with the dietician and began the whole weightloss portion prior to surgery.  I met her on Tuesday and started eating healthy on Wed.  I cheated MASSIVELY on Wed, Thurs, and FRI.  Then I had a chat with myslef.  I spent hours on this site over the weekend and realized that I want to be the one whose profile people are visiting to see before and after pics.  I want to be healthy and I want to be sexy and I want to do so many things that my weight doesn't allow me to do.  School is stressful and food has always been your friend.  But it's time to find a new friend, one that doesn't hurt you but instead helps you.  If your therapist isn't helping then I would suggest a new one or saving your money.  Find out what makes you truly happy and do that.  When we all think about how food makes us feel the emotion isn't happiness.  And if we are going to cheat do it with the good stuff.  I have graham crackers and PB for my carb fix and I have Edys fruit popsicles for my sweetness fix.  Give that a try.  I believe that staying active on this site will help you keep your eye on the prize.  BTW I've been a good girl since Saturday morning!  Yeah me!  I have even done a little running this week and been to the gym twice and going back tomorrow.  Keep your head up and keep a pick of you from before surgery with you at all times...it'll help you! 
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
_aprilh_
on 6/1/11 12:40 pm - OK
I did a ton of stress eating myself today and yesterday. I feel the same way. I am so disgusted with myself. I also did not have this surgery just so I could stay fat or lose weight to just fall back into the old habits and gain it all back. I am only a little of 2 months out, if I am already giving in what will I be like in 2 years. I know they say that this first year is the time to make mistakes and deal with the issues I just never imagined it would be this difficult. I knew I had issues and I know I am a food addict but this is rediculous. All I know is there are people on this forum who has faced these issues early on and conquered them. They will help us! They will share their secrets.
(deactivated member)
on 6/1/11 7:22 pm, edited 6/1/11 7:26 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Hey friend, I am really sorry about all the stress and life squeezing you right now, any of that alone seems cloistering but all together - makes me think I need to go trim my bangs.  :} 

* guess tomorrow is a new start..to make better decisions.   i'm thinking about making a behavioral contract with myself..for every 100 calories i go over (well..the bad carby calories) i have to spend an extra hour at the gym...maybe that will give me more motivation to make better decisions*

I would just like you to consider this.  What you are essentially saying is, you are going to go from one binge to another. From a self destructive food binge to a flagellating exercise binge.  A binge is a binge is a binge and its a compulsive behavior that is self destructive, you see?  You are not making a choice to go and exercise because you like it, you are punishing yourself for not having better skills of stress management, you see?

Here is the thing - you are WILLING to go through the discomfort of the "punishment" per se - but that will not help you head the stress off at the pass next time, and it will not help you get a better coping skill, and it will not help you in the long run.  You ultimately cannot out exercise poor choices and this is the same yoyo treadmill thing that folks keep saying they are trying to get off of.

So, consider this - either way, you *will* have discomfort, either by your gym punishment after overconsumption of non nutritive stuff OR by sitting through your discomfort and learning a new way to self soothe. 

For me?  I had to/have to have a different conversation with me than I have had in the past.  I have to learn how to self soothe/destress in an ADULT fashion, not just numb out like I have since I was a little me. 

Here is a link to a blog where I could FEEL me sliding into self destruction and had to have multiple conversations with myself.  Notice this - a binge is not always ultimately about food, its about doing a SOMETHING where you get some sort of feeling that changes your body chemistry.

Its time to learn new skillz my love, and they will serve you well! We just have to practice them.  I never could find a therapist that I did not feel like I was either paying a copy to entertain, or for them to just nod and make "active listening noises" to me.  *shrug*  it is what it is.  Shame, self destruction, punishment make for horrible masters. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4093529/Feeling-bingey -rest/

Be good to you.  Its a challenge to learn to see when you are being self destructive in the name of comfort. 

Comfort food should not cause you discomfort.  You should not have to be punished because you needed calming, or soothing. This is not to say you should INDULGE yourself, this is only to say, we have to learn a new, real, TRUE way to be KIND to ourselves.

Bigfatlove and a heaping helping of peace on you, my friend.

B

*pssst I also have thoughts about the food portion of your question, but I can address that another time, so I do not overwhelm you with too much information all at once.  :} 
_aprilh_
on 6/1/11 9:20 pm - OK
I knew I  could trust you Bradilynn to give us some words of advice! You are so awesome! Thank you so very much. I have bookmarked your link. It is so true. I too have found myself doing some retail therapy. Good call! It truly is a moment by moment, day by day journey. Thanks again! Have a great day.
"I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me!"
 April ~ 39y/o, 6'0", HW 292, SW 268.4, CW 188, BMI 26.7

(deactivated member)
on 6/1/11 9:34 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Thanks babygirl.  You go take on this day and be sweet to yourself!!

Comfort yourself with things you dont have to keep the receipts for, cuz you have to take them back when the guilt rushes in!  :}

Muwah!

Be good to you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views