Surgery next Friday anything particular I need for hospital?

Caligirlgina
on 6/11/11 1:07 am - CA
My surgery is next Friday and I am starting to pack a hospital bag and realized I don't have any clue what to bring with me. I am going to bring nightgowns, not night pants is that good. I just don't want to overpack (typical with me). Anything that I really should have?
Thanks
Gina
  1Mo(July 17, 2011) 265.1 (-28.7) Whoo hooo2Mo (Aug 17, 2011) 258.7 (-6.4) 3mo-253.5(-5.2) Finally broke a 5 week stall

lucy2e
on 6/11/11 1:12 am - Laurel, MD
I packed - clean underwear (for the trip home and a couple extra), berts bees (chapstick), loose pants and shirt (for the trip home), hair brush, tooth brush and paste, deodorant, lotion (face and hand), my cpap (required), pads (Aunt Flo came to visit 2 days before surgery - but the surgery triggers a visit in many people).  That was it and if I only brought chapstick and clean u's I would have been ok - buth the rest was nice to have!

Good luck with the surgery - will send happy thoughts and prayers your way Friday!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

califsleevin
on 6/11/11 1:20 am, edited 6/11/11 1:21 am - CA
Generally very little is needed. You typically wear one of their stylish hospital gowns that opens in the back, which is certainly their preference since it allows the nurses the access they need to do what they do. I packed a gym bag before leaving, that my wife brought for my release, with my get-out-of-jail clothes of sweatpants, shorts, t-shirt, zip up sweatshirt and slippers - things that are loose, comfortable and easy to put on. Beyond that, whatever you feel you need to pass the time - I mostly relied on an e-book to read  -  and basic grooming tools, comb, brush, etc.
Eydiebug
on 6/11/11 1:24 am - San Antonio, TX
I was in the hospital for two days, and packed very little.  I wore a very loose warm up suit to and from the hospital.  I brought my own toothbrush and toothpaste, cell phone and charger(a must), clean change of underwear, hair essentials and that's about it.  Other than walking, I spent most of my time there sleeping and/or resting.  The less you carry in, the less you have to carry out.

Eydie

HW-319 SW-295 CW-186.2 GW-160 BMI-29.1   
sleeve genie
on 6/11/11 1:44 am - Alhambra, CA
How exctiting for you   yahoo!!  i wore the same clothes home that i wore there,  i brought my own toiletries and a robe that i wore instead of the hospital gown,  chap stick a must,  cell phone charger,  brought a book i didn't read,  laptop my daughter used thats about it,   When awake you should be walking and resting the rest of the time.  The hospital will have anything you need.   I will be sending happy healing thoughts your way on Friday and i'm sure all will go great for you.   I've seen your posts and i would say you're ready   :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

its4maya
on 6/11/11 1:54 am - Cypress, CA
From what I've read some people recommend a short robe to cover up your behind when you're walking around in your hospital gown, mindless reading since you'll be in and out of sleepy time, chapstick is a must, and comfy socks/slippers.  Another friend said a t-shirt style night shirt to wear home to avoid the waistband while sitting (or reclining) in the car.  I'm also taking a small notebook and pen to jot down things the nurses say to do (so I don't forget) and questions that may pop up to ask my surgeon when he visits.  I've already started packing my bag...it's coming soon!
Wooo Hooo! 
Have fun and good luck, Gina!

Milo_529
on 6/11/11 2:10 am
Congratulations! A very exciting time for you.  I had surgery a week ago and the best advice I got on what to take was chap stick.  The hospital will prefer you wear the gown they provide.  You might want a short, light robe for when you start walking up and down the hall.  I didn't take one and was apparently giving a half-moon on occaision!  Wear really loose, comfortable clothes and take clean comfortable underwear for the ride home.  I wore the same clothes to the hospital that I wore home.  You might want to take some pad, I was lucky enough to start my period the day I came home from the hospital.  Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.  The folks on this site have been very helpful to me!

Rouns
on 6/11/11 2:32 am, edited 6/11/11 5:33 am - CA
EARPLUGS! And a sleep mask if lights bother you. I did not have a private room and my neighbor insisted on leaving her overhead light on.

Slip on shoes, ie., crocs, thongs...anything easy to get on and to walk in.

Bottled water...lots! Hospital water tasted horrible.

136 pounds lost!   
NDew1104
on 6/11/11 2:47 am
Thank you for asking this!  My surgery is also on the 17th, and Ive been wondering this myself!  :)  Good luck to you!  And thank you to everyone who answered!! 
Happy Girl
on 6/11/11 2:51 am - CA
This is what I had with me...

Slippers and robe (a must for walking)
Front close bra
Lip moisturizer and hand cream
Mouthwash
iPad and iPhone and chargers
Eye mask
Pj's and socks
Toiletries

Good luck!