Maximum amount of protein absorbed at one time

Could_It_Be
on 6/17/11 12:02 am, edited 6/17/11 12:07 am
One thing our nutritionist stresses is that your body can only absorb about 25g of protein at at time. We've been told that even if we drink something with 40g of protein, we can only count it as 25 because the rest is not absorbed. Ok I get it.

I see a lot of people posting about big number protein drinks and wonder if you all have been told something different?

I also wonder that because it will take quite a bit of time to get in the volume (4-8 oz) in the beginning maybe because the ingestion time is stretched out it helps you absorb a little bit more?

Thoughts?

VSG on 6/22/11
Nicole S.
on 6/17/11 12:14 am - Vallejo, CA
That is a good question.  I have read that your body can absorb almost all the protein you consume without a problem.  But yeah I would be curious to find out if that is right or what you are asking is.
~Nicole  
Height 5'1 HW- 320 SW-265 CW- 172.2 GW 140                                

Crabadams72
on 6/17/11 12:33 am - Silver Spring, MD
On this issue I don't think they know the answer. I asked at a support group and the NUT said it was inconclusive. I can't eat at this stage so how else am I going to get the min of 60 grams in? I can't stand that Greek Yogurt stuff and now my GB is gone I can't eat dairy.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

Elaine2
on 6/17/11 12:34 am - Atlanta, GA
There seems to be allot of discussion/disagreement about this, at least online.
Just based on what I've read, it may depend on time of day, density of the protein, etc.

For example, some say that if you have a protein shake early in the AM the body will absorb more because you have "starved" your body overnight. Or the prime time for a protein drink is right after exercise when the body will absorb more.

I also saw that "liquid" proteins are not absorb as well because they take less time to work thru your system. Whereas a dense protein takes longer to digest.

And no one says "how long" between protein meals is the best.

So I drink my 1/2 of my protein shake first thing in the AM on the way to the pool and the remaining on the way home...counting all 40g.

I think there are allot of variables...I would follow my NUT's recommendations so you can stay consistent in your counting.

Zee Starrlite
on 6/17/11 12:46 am
I thin****ep hearing that we only absorb 30gms at once - what is "at once" ?  Sipping takes very long and I do 16oz protein drinks.  Thank the Lord that I've had no problems getting my liquids in from the start.  No problem with protein drinks - I mean I'm moaning about drinking them at this point but my objective was to get the biggest bang of protein that I could.  On super discount I found Labrada shakes 60grams of protein per serving for men - 3 scoops and women 1.5 scoops so it is 30grams (I do the 30 & sometimes throw in 2 spoons of lean shake powder to change the flavor).  I also add 4oz of skim milk which is 4 additional grams of protein.  Oh the great thing about Labrada Plus is that it has 10grams of fiber per serving so in my case 5.  Who wants to strain their innards right after surgery.

I've brought "shots" that offer 45 and 50 grams of protein per serving.  Oh God, it taste like poison.  I'd be lucky to drink 1/10 of the tiny container.  Still my objective is just to shoot as high as possible.  I want the healthiest weight loss possible and if it means having to drink those shots if I am desperate enough, I will do it.  We want to keep muscle mass and prevent nutritional deficiencies and hair loss .

Make sure you get Fage greek yogurt  0%- it has the most protein per serving.  20 grams for 8oz so even if you eat 2 or 4 or whatever you are getting something in.

I bought a multivitamin wafer which I've been able to suck on 2x's per day (morning/evening)  from like day 3.  Get some B-12 sublinguals - easy to take!  I haven't started my calcium citrate because I have not found a form I like yet.  But OMG I looked at my vits yesterday and have a tub of them which I've been taking pre-op for quite some time.  I just hadn't looked at the tub because I had them in different dispensers.

Oh, can I just say that I brush my teeth then take my PPI when I wake (pharmacist said let me tell you how to take this - 1hr before any food)  I then begin to sip, sip, sip while I am getting ready until I down my 16.9oz Aquafina water - sometimes it takes my whole subway ride.  So shower, do my hair, clothes, make-up etc.  all the while I'm sipping.  Sometimes I'll say take 20 sips before you leave or 20 more while you ride the train this helps me know that there is an end and I am trying.  It is work getting everything in and we tire but we must do what we said we must do so that we can have the very best outcome.

Sorry to go crazy on you.  I'm just sayin'

Good luck with your surgery.  I hope you have no problems drinking because it is such a blessing to be able to nourish yourself immediately post-op.  I am very lucky.

Best,
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Mom4Jazz
on 6/17/11 12:50 am
I max out at 30 because I've heard that. I don't think anyone knows for sure, but don't want to waste my protein thinking I've gotten more than I have so I err on the side of caution.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Could_It_Be
on 6/17/11 1:12 am
Thanks y'all! I was afraid it would be one of those "we don't really know" kind of answers.

Alas, guess it comes with the new-ishness of the sleeve.

Thanks so much! I really hope I can drink drink drink on Thursday

VSG on 6/22/11
USAF Wife
on 6/17/11 3:16 am
From what I've read, we can absorb all of it. The biggest issue is that there is no definitive answer on how much is actually used for muscle building, growth, recovery. Amino acids, assimilation of the proteins is the key. At least that's been my take on all the articles I've read over the years.

It's all conflicting because we absorb it, but how it is used, and how the protein breaks down in our bodies is still a mystery from my understanding.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Could_It_Be
on 6/17/11 3:31 am
Thanks USAFwife & momma!
Looks like your sprout is now a pretty big bean by his/her stats up there
USAF Wife
on 6/17/11 4:30 am
Yeppers ! ! ! And, Sprout is actually weighing 2 ounces heavier than most babies this age/stage. So, no one can doubt if a healthy pregnancy, and sustaining a good level of nutrients is possible with VSG. It's uber possible, and honestly, I'm eating really well and enjoying the pregnancy from that aspect.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views