Two Weeks out and HUNGRY!

Jose.D
on 12/6/11 9:51 am - NY
Any ideas on what to eat?
my doctor says eat anything and just chew the hell out of it. I'm a little nervous about eating just anything.

I've been eating half of an egg daily, a protein shake, 1 Oz of tuna with 1 Oz of mash potato. Dinner is biggest hurdle.

What have you guys successfully eaten during Weeks 4-6?

abrown8434
on 12/6/11 10:23 am - VA
Barbecue, chicken and pork were my favs in Wk 4-6 as long as they were stewed, chopped or finely cooked w/light gravy or some type of cream of chicken or broth. Just make sure your meats are wet and rubbery or overcooked.

Eat slow, chew, chew chew and don't be alarmed if you have some throw up sessions. Your body has to get adjusted and it happens. Just eat a little less than your stomach's capacity and have fun exploring different foods.

I even found out that some Chinese food items work for me like garlic chicken and vegetables or beef and broccoli (as long as I chewed the broccoli really well and small, small bites). The meat in those dishes seamed to be almost steamed or a softer texture that what I cook at home and the spices were awesome. I would just tell them no rice or I just wouldn't eat the rice that came w/the lunch specials.

Best of luck to you!

HW: 550+     SW: 502      CW: 342.4  SDt: 9/20/11

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."--
Philippians 4:13, KJV

Jose.D
on 12/6/11 10:53 am - NY
thank you very much for your feedback, you've expanded my diet big time! Going to get some chicken & broccoli tomorrow...
frisco
on 12/6/11 5:05 pm

OK........I tried not to comment on this one....not trying to go against anyone.....

Let me just say.... your doctors instructions...or lack of....is pretty lame....

And chicken and broccoli.....not a good idea at 2 weeks out....

Those two foods are just about the last ones you should be re-introducing into your diet.

To be safe.....soft wet mushie foods for a few more weeks till your staple line heals would be a good idea.

Since you didn't get good instruction.....I would suggest looking up some of the more popular eating plans.

Sorry to butt in on your broccoli/chicken parade.....just don't wanna see you hurt yourself.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Jessica O.
on 12/6/11 10:58 am, edited 12/6/11 12:48 pm - Ann Arbor, MI
I had my surgery on the 23rd.  I'll be 2 weeks tomorrow.  I just asked for some new food ideas a few hours ago on the board.  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4479013/New-Food-Ideas -For-My-New-Belly/

I'm excited about trying lots of things from this website which has great ideas:
http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

I also found a recipe on her site for Spanakopita Burgers (turkey buger with spinach and feta) with some Tzatziki sauce.  YUM!

Sleeved on 11/23/11 at 302lbs (309 sw.) 5'6" / 41 years old

gonersmom
on 12/6/11 2:38 pm
Are you taking a PPI for your stomach acid? I was about 4-6 weeks post op when I started getting so very hungry (of so I thought). It really was excess acid. If I remember to take it every day (or even everyother day), I don't have hunger or acid reflux issues.

Best wishes in this journey.

Let me help you with bariatric friendly cooking.  www.pamperedchef.biz/gawnecooking
lanunes
on 12/6/11 5:31 pm - CA
 My doctors eating plan called for soft foods week 2-4. During weeks 2-4 I would eat greek yogurt, eggs, tofu and cottage cheese. These were the only soft foods allowed. Your stomach is not healed yet and no matter how much you chew your food your stomach still has to break down the dense food and digest it. Trust me....dense food feels heavy at 6 weeks out. You don't wanna jeopardize your surgery site and risk a leak. At 4 weeks out my doctor said to slowly introduce 1 new food daily starting with lean deli meats and fish then slowly progress. Good luck =)
      Leslie Nunes              
Jose.D
on 12/6/11 10:57 pm - NY
Thank you all for the feedback.

Like I said I was a little nervous about jumping into real food right away.

I'm going to take the tempered more conservative approach.

I rather deal with a couple more Weeks of a limited diet, although it sucks right now! Than suffer long term damage.

I'm lactose intolerant so the yogurts and cottage cheese are out for me unfortunately, plus I've grown to hate the taste.

I'll chill with my eggs and protein shakes for now, I'll throw in some Dominican Sancocho broth for diversity.

Thanks for all the insight, I really wasn't one of these blogger type people, but it feels good to hear from people that can empathize going through the process.

much appreciated!!

VickyBT
on 12/6/11 11:10 pm - MI
I've forgotten when I started on meat and eggs (around 4 weeks maybe)...but two weeks sounds way too early to me too.
You should only be on mushies at the most at this point.
I was really hungry around 2 weeks as well.
This will pass, just hang in there.
You should be eating Greek Yogurt (unsweetened), protein shakes & high protein bariatric soups etc.
Don't eat anything sugary or high carb, it will only make you hungrier.
Your stomach needs to heal!
Don't over tax it.
The risk just isn't worth it!
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

VickyBT
on 12/6/11 11:12 pm, edited 12/6/11 11:13 pm - MI
Oops, missed you were lactose intolerant.
Did you know you can buy lactose free milk?
You could add that to your protein shakes to bump up the protein
but you probably use soy milk.
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views